Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2012, 01:17   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: An upside to the petrol price hike : Used car residuals CRASH

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Well-maintained 2008 i10s are changing hands for under 2 lakhs (that's less money than a new Nano!). Spend 50K more and you can get yourself a petrol Verna of the same vintage ('08 Hyundai Verna = Rs. 2.5 lakh). Amazing Optras for a mere 1 - 1.5 lakh rupees
Surely optras were always low resale value cars irrelevant to the petrol costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
pristine Cedias for Rs. 2.5 - 3.0 lakhs gather dust in dealer lots.

That is something I did not know of and must be really good too. Cedias for 2.5 L ? Cedia, here I come !!
Old 23rd June 2012, 08:42   #77
BANNED

Lucky me! I just sold a 2005 Honda City EXi( 65000 Kms) for 3.25 Lacs last month.
I suppose that is because City has a much higher resale value than Optra or Cedia.
Old 23rd June 2012, 08:52   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neosmart
I am seeing it as a good opportunity to buy a hot petrol car. May be good a BMW 740iL in 2-3 lakhs
hope that's sarcasm to all the wishful thinking going on here. at least in Baroda there is no such drastic price crash in used petrol cars. seems like this phenomenon is exclusive to a handful of North Indian cities.
Old 23rd June 2012, 09:57   #79

Hey guys,

Just my two cents into this. I am looking for a new car, upgrading from my current Getz (second hand) to either a swift or Punto. In order to get this done I want to sell my Getz and use the proceeds to pump into the new ride.

So I got my car appraised and guess what is the quotation provided by true value: 65,000!!!

I mean, the car will offer better value as junk or if I rest the car and scavenge its parts for resale later. I am now considering conversion to CNG. Will keep the threads posted on how I proceed.

Riteshest
Old 23rd June 2012, 20:57   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Well, you cant go by what is 'listed' on the used car sites. These are the prices seller wants but are not the realistic prices that would be finally settled during the actual sale. You can see a 2009 i10 Magna AT with 35000 km on odo listed for 5 lacs but in reality it may not even fetch 3 lacs.
How much would an i20 AT cost (2008/9 or so)? Would pick one up right away for my sis if one can get it in Rs 230-250,000/- in Delhi.
Old 23rd June 2012, 21:03   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcode View Post
How much would an i20 AT cost (2008/9 or so)? Would pick one up right away for my sis if one can get it in Rs 230-250,000/- in Delhi.
You meant i10 AT right? i10 Magna AT (2008/9) should be available for 2.5 lacs.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2012, 21:16   #82
BHPian

With the dropping prices on used petrol vehicles, the following would be a good buy during these times of great bargains on petrol-engined vehicles:
* Maruti Suzuki Grand Vitara
* Maruti Suzuki Kizashi
* Maruti Suzuki SX4
* Chevrolet Cruze
* Toyota Camry
* Honda Accord

For a weekend ride and for short-distance grocery shopping, a petrol-engine is not all that bad. Besides, there's always the possibility of fitting an LPG or CNG kit (imagine an LPG/CNG Kizashi or Grand Vitara :-D).
Old 23rd June 2012, 21:30   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post
With the dropping prices on used petrol vehicles, the following would be a good buy during these times of great bargains on petrol-engined vehicles:
* Maruti Suzuki Grand Vitara
* Maruti Suzuki Kizashi
* Maruti Suzuki SX4
* Chevrolet Cruze
* Toyota Camry
* Honda Accord

For a weekend ride and for short-distance grocery shopping, a petrol-engine is not all that bad. Besides, there's always the possibility of fitting an LPG or CNG kit (imagine an LPG/CNG Kizashi or Grand Vitara :-D).
Chevrolet cruze? No petrol model yet.
suv100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2012, 21:38   #84
BHPian

How I wish the resale prices are as low as north part of the country in Chennai or Coimbatore!

The used car market here is almost like run by Mafia. No Drastic drop in prices in south sadly. No, please don't ask me about diesel cars. Can never find a DDIS Swift below 5.0 Lakhs.

A Cedia for 2.5 Lakhs.. Hmmmmp... Only if wishes had wings......

Last edited by rangarx : 23rd June 2012 at 21:40.
rangarx is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th June 2012, 17:00   #85
Senior - BHPian

I am looking for a 2nd hand hatchback - fully loaded i20 AT? Do you see any possibility of such machines available in resale market at lower price tags?

I have visited few resellers but none had even a single for sale. Any reasons or it's that i20 petrol fully loaded AT is very new in market and thus no machines for resale?
Old 24th June 2012, 17:04   #86
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js
I am looking for a 2nd hand hatchback - fully loaded i20 AT? Do you see any possibility of such machines available in resale market at lower price tags?

I have visited few resellers but none had even a single for sale. Any reasons or it's that i20 petrol fully loaded AT is very new in market and thus no machines for resale?
There seems to be one May 2011 model available on carwale with an asking price of 7.2 lacs! Done 8000 kms.
Old 24th June 2012, 17:12   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangarx View Post
The used car market here is almost like run by Mafia
Oh yeah. I can never seem to understand how the used car market in Chennai functions. 2002 City Vtec's are still being quoted by second hand dealers at 6.5 - 7 Lakhs !! And the expression on their faces is like "it's a diamond boss"
Old 24th June 2012, 17:28   #88
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford5

Oh yeah. I can never seem to understand how the used car market in Chennai functions. 2002 City Vtec's are still being quoted by second hand dealers at 6.5 - 7 Lakhs !! And the expression on their faces is like "it's a diamond boss"
You arent in a lone boat. Same story in Bangalore. While it takes time and is a pain, it is far better to hunt up an individual seller when buying an used car.
These dealers in general are in cahoots with each other and one can never typically extract a fair price from them, either when buying or when selling!

Looks like until the used car market becomes more professional and organized, the only way is to buy new from a store or used from an individual.
Old 24th June 2012, 17:37   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
You arent in a lone boat. Same story in Bangalore. While it takes time and is a pain, it is far better to hunt up an individual seller when buying an used car.
One way to bust.. Go to a couple of small ones with the idea that you to "sell" your car (Car is out of station and you would get it soon..). Then he expression would be like "aha! who is interested in THAT stuff!" and would change to the chivalry of helping you with that junk car and some price proposed to start with.
Now go to a better / bigger / well-known.. and start with the knowledge on what their input price :-).
Old 24th June 2012, 17:39   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford5 View Post
Try Selling them a VTEC of the same vintage and then notice the prices they quote.The diamond would suddennly turn into coal.
This how the used car markets work,it is always advised to stay clear of these middlemen.
akshay4587 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks