Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2012, 11:41   #136
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Launch Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by bageherath View Post
I think RxL 110PS has no air bags....Only comes with ABS+EBD+B.Assist.
Will confirm once agian when I do the test drive today....
yes, you are right RXL Diesel does not have an airbag nor its an option

Other things which are missing in RXL are rear sensor, rear AC, alloy wheels, all bling bling, seat height adjustment & lumbar support, chrome exhaust & door handles, premium beige seat covers, leather steering cover & gear knob finish all others are same with the top model RXZ and further RXZ(o) additionally comes with leather seats.

Last edited by Technocrat : 6th July 2012 at 20:14. Reason: fixed quotes
Old 6th July 2012, 11:55   #137
Senior - BHPian

The Duster dimensions state the Front and Rear track as 822 and 820 mm respectively while the overall width is 1822 mm. Is this correct? It definitely does not sound correct (too small compared to the overall width).

From Duster web site
Name:  duster_dimensions.PNG
Views: 12936
Size:  9.8 KB

In comparison, the Mahindra Thar has its front and rear track as 1445 and 1346 mm respectively with the overall width being 1710 mm. It is 1475 & 1485 for the new swift with 15" wheels. Is it the front and rear overhang dimensions in the case of Duster?

Edit: This has to be front and rear overhang since 2673 (wheelbase) + 822 +820 = 4315 (overall length)

Last edited by pjbiju : 6th July 2012 at 12:09.
Old 6th July 2012, 12:06   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
The Duster dimensions state the Front and Rear track as 822 and 820 mm respectively while the overall width is 1822 mm. Is this correct? It definitely does not sound correct (too small compared to the overall width).

From Duster web site
Attachment 952001

In comparison, the Mahindra Thar has its front and rear track as 1445 and 1346 mm respectively with the overall width being 1710 mm. It is 1475 & 1485 for the new swift with 15" wheels. Is it the front and rear overhang dimensions in the case of Duster?

So we got a 2012 Renault Duster | Drive Arabia : Dubai / Abu Dhabi [UAE, Saudi, Bahrain, Qatar, Kuwait, Oman & GCC]

"The Duster is based on the same platform as the Renault Logan, a car that we didn’t give a glowing review to when we drove it. And yet, the Duster is a car that, we if we thought we’d hate it, is something we actually enjoyed driving and would recommend to anyone looking for a sub-compact car. It drives like a small hatchback, but is even more fun because it rides higher and comes with a handbrake. "

Emm, so this gets Wanderer by MRF.

Last edited by jkdas : 6th July 2012 at 12:08.
Old 6th July 2012, 12:07   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Good catch. That will be a typo.

Correct track width would be around 1600-1650. (Overall width - 215 mm).
215 = approx width of tyres
Lot of assumptions for my post here, so pls treat this as indicative figures
Old 6th July 2012, 12:09   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Some more information:
Renault Duster : Official Launch Report-renault-duster054.jpg

Renault Duster : Official Launch Report-renault-duster057.jpg
parrys is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2012, 12:10   #141
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Pics of Duster compared to Audi Q3 - FYI

Just wish to share a couple of pics which may serve to help compare the Duster and the Audi Q3 in terms of proportions etc.

It might help that both cars pictured are White, which makes for greater ease in comparison.

The only thing is that I had taken the Audi pics from a marginally further distance and the Duster from a closer distance. Possibly because the Audi Bangalore Shop is some three or four times as deep as the Renault Bombay Shop.

But having seen both vehicles in the flesh within a short time frame as also having sat in them and fiddled about closely with them both, I think my surmise of the overall size comparison is correct.

The Audi is really Audi-licious in its aesthetic appeal and desirability while the Duster appeals almost instantaneously to the pragmatic and practical side of a person like me.

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster : Official Launch Report-20120610393.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Launch Report-20120610394.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Launch Report-20120705420.jpg  

Renault Duster : Official Launch Report-20120705417.jpg  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 6th July 2012 at 12:15.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2012, 12:31   #142
BHPian

Had a look at the Duster on the 4th at Renault Mount Road. The intimidating stance and the solid front look with double barrel head lamps impressed me.The bottom cladding on the bumper looks neat and ideal for rough roads. The space the Duster offers is awesome. High driving position the leg room and the boot space are all plus points. I am 5'11" with the driver's seat set for my comfort I could comfortably sit in the back seat, which is not the case in the Cruze where I have to bend my legs while sitting in the rear.

The above mentioned points are the "only" USP of the Duster.(I have not driven it yet so cannot comment on the engine). The interiors are very basic for a 13+L car. The door handles are cheap there is no height adjustable driver's seat in the top end RxZ. Its available in the option pack. This beats me as how much would a simple lever cost??Its not as if Renault is providing electronic height adjustment. The option pack costs 30K more for leather seats height adjustable driver seat and body colored door handles.

Renault is promoting the Duster as an alternative over Sedans, but similar priced sedans offer far more creature comforts even a much cheaper i20 has more features, as mentioned earlier the only place where the Duster scores over the Sedans is the space it offers and the bodyguard type looks

The pricing I feel is a bit high, best part is the sales people at the dealership said its introductory price!! So its going go up further.Ideally I would have preferred 12L on road for top end considering there is not 4*4 option.

I ended up booking the RxZ yesterday just coz of the space and solid looks! At 13.41L OTR it might be steep but as a lover for SUV's I dont find any other SUV appealing at this price range. Those that are available like the XUV the Scorpio or Yeti, they do not have the looks of the Duster.

Planning to upgrade the tires and alloys. With those huge wheel arcs bigger tires and alloys will look great and enhance the already good looking SUV.

But the plans will take a bit long as the delivery period indicated is 3 months!! The Duster is being booked like the Maruti's,(160 in 2 days in Chennai) hordes of people are queuing up for a test drive and its already Diwali for the erstwhile sleepy Renault Showrooms!!
sameer sultan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2012, 12:34   #143
BHPian

every other market prices are lesser than Indian Market...
Even UEA get 4*4 @ 8.5 Laks, May be tax need to be added ? Do this company need to make all the profit from Indian market

4*2 top end comes at 9.5 L in UAE... Source
Renault Duster (2012 - 2013) - Prices & Specs - Drive Arabia >> UAE (Dubai / Abu Dhabi), Saudi, Oman, Qatar, Bahrain, Kuwait & GCC

For me it looks like its best who does not worry about the safer feature, buy 85bhp base model. Then spend around 50-70 K and add Alloy, ICE, Extra Fog light ...
Old 6th July 2012, 12:38   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

Renault seem to be gaining momentum with the bookings of Duster! Interesting to see how the sales figures of the current SUV's will be affected! with this confidence they will geared up for the next sedan launch - Scala!

Quote:
Renault India has already managed to bag no less than 3,000 bookings, which is definitely a first for Renault in the Indian market
Cheers!

2012 Renault Duster SUV launched in India at a starting price of INR 7.19 lakhs, ex-showroom Delhi | IndianCarsBikes.in

Last edited by volkman10 : 6th July 2012 at 12:40.
Old 6th July 2012, 12:42   #145
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Perhaps they should have brought the Duster in before that silly over priced, over-rated Koleos and even the Pulse. Ideally they ought to have launched the Fluence sedan, followed by the Duster or vice versa and followed maybe with the Pulse and dropped that Koleos entirely. About time marketeers realized that the much vaunted Top Down strategy works only for the really aspirational brands. Not for the common or garden run of the mill ones! It may be argued that it is a way of creating aspiration where there is none, but I think all these chaps make the unforgivable mistake of under estimating the amount of information and knowledge available to our public in todays world! Equally unforgivably, they under rate our market and public.
Anyway, Renault would need to now focus on the people mover segment so cars like the Renault Espace etc may yet find space here in India. It can go head to head with the Evalia and maybe even the Ertiga, Xylo type vehicles.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 6th July 2012 at 12:49.
Old 6th July 2012, 13:07   #146
Senior - BHPian

My take so far, based on what I have read here and elsewhere. Will reserve final judgement till I have seen and driven the Duster myself.
- no surprises in the looks department. We knew what to except inside & out
- silver orvm and door handles have been criticized, but aren't deal breakers in any way. After market inserts would be a solution for those unhappy with these
- base pricing is good, but model's too bare bones. Top spec is overpriced by a lakh almost IMO, given the fairly minor add-ons from the base spec.
- lack of safety features in the lower spec variants are a deal breaker for me. To get front passenger side air bag one needs to opt for the top-end diesel (or am I mistaken? This option pack business is a little confusing)
- I don't like the white+dark gray interiors... not gelling IMO. Looks like an unsuccessful attempt to give an aging car a chic retro touch. Would have preferred a black+gray or all-beige/black interiors.
- lack of 60:40 split folding rear seats a bummer
- ride/performance/handling etc. - will need to TD
- quality of plastics, space et al - need to see in person

I guess the lack of safety options in the mid-variant and the high pricing of the top variant have killed it for me somewhat (and several others from the looks of it). In any case, awaiting the Kolkata launch (7th?).

Last edited by razor4077 : 6th July 2012 at 13:10.
Old 6th July 2012, 13:09   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Perhaps they should have brought the Duster in before that silly over priced, over-rated Koleos and even the Pulse. Ideally they ought to have launched the Fluence sedan, followed by the Duster or vice versa and followed maybe with the Pulse and dropped that Koleos entirely. About time marketeers realized that the much vaunted Top Down strategy works only for the really aspirational brands. Not for the common or garden run of the mill ones! ...

Who knows Shankar, maybe one of the reasons for the high number of bookings is that their strategy is working!

I'm sure they must already have sent a ppt to their head office linking the two and claiming a grand strategy success!
Old 6th July 2012, 13:14   #148
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Perhaps they should have brought the Duster in before that silly over priced, over-rated Koleos and even the Pulse. Ideally they ought to have launched the Fluence sedan, followed by the Duster or vice versa and followed maybe with the Pulse and dropped that Koleos entirely. About time marketeers realized that the much vaunted Top Down strategy works only for the really aspirational brands. Not for the common or garden run of the mill ones! It may be argued that it is a way of creating aspiration where there is none, but I think all these chaps make the unforgivable mistake of under estimating the amount of information and knowledge available to our public in todays world! Equally unforgivably, they under rate our market and public.
Anyway, Renault would need to now focus on the people mover segment so cars like the Renault Espace etc may yet find space here in India. It can go head to head with the Evalia and maybe even the Ertiga, Xylo type vehicles.
Exactly my thoughts. Infact the Duster even now seems to hold the potential to boost Renault sales in other segements as well through a rub off effect as well as by getting more people into the showroom.

A manufacturer requires just one success story to get customers to the showroom and that plus the confidence of the manufacturer having decent sales of some vehicle in the country can contribute to decent additional sales for their other models.

They definately went about getting the cars introduced in the wrong order.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2012, 13:15   #149
BHPian

Renault India CEO has announced in today's Times Now paper that the Duster is likely to get Jump seats for the last row as an accessory in the near future to meet customer requirements for a 7-seater. Basically you remove the boot tray and plonk in the jump seats to seat 2 more.
Old 6th July 2012, 13:17   #150
BHPian

For me, the choice shall be between Duster 85ps RXL model with option pack and the Ford Ecosport 1.5 TDCi model with similar options (as and when it is launched. In any case, I am looking at 2013 1st half time scenario).

That said, I am pre-biased towards Ford. We have always had a Ford in the family for the last thirty years. Lets see how these two match up against each other in the coming days.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks