Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2012, 09:01   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: Dearth of C segment sedans with a diesel engine + Automatic transmission?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RishiSuri View Post
Just read on zigwheels test drive of Elantra which has 6 speed automatic transmission in both petrol and diesel. Again a D segment and will not be sufficing the needs of people who need a C segment automatic diesel.

Automatic is slowly picking up in India i believe in 5 years we would all be moving to Automatic due to the much known reason TRAFFIC !!!
Just a couple of points:
1) The Elantra is not a D-Segment player. Hyundai have the Sonata/i45 in that space. This car will fight against the likes of Corolla Altis, Laura, Cruze etc.
2) Almost all players in this segment have diesel AT options.
Old 15th July 2012, 08:08   #32
BHPian

You could actually think of A Star AT for convenience of city traffic and also highway rides if you do not need rear space. The FE is quite decent. With decent to 100% AC usage in city it was giving 11.5-12 kmpl. I am sure with engine opening up and change in driving style, we could possibly settle to 14ish. Not too bad for city use. And you do save a lot of money plus get the reliability and accessibility of Maruti.

Last edited by sumannandy : 15th July 2012 at 08:09.
Old 15th July 2012, 12:21   #33
Senior - BHPian

Nothing happens slowly in India. Things happen with a bang. almost like overnight. Like Hyundai with Santro and Skoda with Octy unheard and coming out of thin air and making it big in India. Similarly, one day AT will catch up and catch up with a bang. There will be no looking back then.

I was using a diesel Lancer. Supremely reliable and economical, too. Last year I bought A-Star AT. Wanted to use both cars, AT mainly for spouse. But got spoiled by AT covenience so much that stopped using Lance much and recently, owing to parking issues, sold it. Any addition to A-Star will be a diesel AT. To heck with pick up and acceleartion! If I drive 100 KMs, I get less than 5 Km stretch to open up. The rest of 95 Km crawl is where AT shines. A diesel hatch with AT will set the sales charts on fire. People need AT on diesel more because of inherently hard clucth of diesels. Drive a diesel through inner city stop and start crawl all day long and you will have vericose veins and knee pain by evening.
pgsagar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2012, 19:13   #34
BHPian

See some of the old discussions on the tbhp forum
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...ml#post2541476
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...ie#post2579188

The cheapest diesel automatic in India seems to be the Hyundai Verna -new model which is an 4 speed gearbox.
Old 16th July 2012, 22:25   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RishiSuri View Post
Just read on zigwheels test drive of Elantra which has 6 speed automatic transmission in both petrol and diesel. Again a D segment and will not be sufficing the needs of people who need a C segment automatic diesel.
I sincerely wish that Hyundai launches the Fluidic Verna with this 6 speed diesel automatic gearbox from the new Elantra, may be in 2013?

But then, since the Elantra is having the same 1.6L diesel engine of the Verna with the same BHP and Torque numbers, there would not be any difference between Elantra and Verna with respect to Engine and the Gearbox. Hyundai may actually postpone the release of the 6 speed auto in Verna in order to differentiate the Elantra.
Old 1st July 2013, 09:21   #36
BHPian

Again the newly launched ecosport also has auto option only on petrol model,I think these manufacturers fail to understand the indian market because none of them launches a diesel auto in the c segment.Since all of us need a car for transport so their sales will continue to grow but their marketing dept is hopeless i feel because they fail to understand the consumers mind.What stops them form introducing a diesel auto i cant figure out?
Old 1st July 2013, 13:07   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindrider2626 View Post
Again the newly launched ecosport also has auto option only on petrol model
Good observation. Was thinking about this and i find it a strange move on ford's part especially considering that early reports suggest the EcoSport is very much a city car and not one for the highways given its under powered engine. A diesel AT would have made a lot of sense for heavy urban drivers in our stop/start traffic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks