Team-BHP - HM adds new tech to Mitsubishi Cedia
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   HM adds new tech to Mitsubishi Cedia (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/123290-hm-adds-new-tech-mitsubishi-cedia-6.html)

The ONLY flaw in the Cedia, for me, is the lack of under thigh support on the rear seat. A very close friend and fellow tbhpian has one and its the fav car of the group (1 ford 1.6, a 1.3, and a fusion) That apart, I dont think there is anything I dont like in that car. The only sad part is, in Bangalore it costs 11 L, which is over my budget. Other than that its a brilliant brilliant car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kar.carthik
Why can't Mitsubishi break away from HM like how Renault did with M&M?

Possibly because they aren't in the best of financial health and cannot afford to buy out HM's stake in the jv. I could be wrong, but this seems to be the only logical explanation. Mitsubishi aren't blind, and I'm sure the bosses at Japan aren't happy with their performance in India, especially compared to their rival compatriots like Honda, with whom they started off at roughly the same time. Going at it themselves would need a fair investment to buy out HM, settle debts and finance the turnaround. Mitsubishi should ideally look for another local partner (would be surprised if they haven't seriously looked for one yet). My two cents.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 46TheDoctor (Post 2840332)
Harbir, I am so glad to see a BHPian who speaks my language.:)

Since, i am in the market for luxury SUV, i had been to mitsubishi sincompetent and choose an Average car with great after sales service over Great car with Adequate after sales service.

The point made by your post as well as the various posts by Harbir is make an informed comment about the product which is fair and differentiate the product from the losers who are killing the market for the product. No one in his/her right mind can dispute a word of what you and Harbir are saying.

However if you look at the start of this thread, the essence at the begining of the thread to my mind was that HM is being downright silly if not absolutely idiotic touting these changes in the misc equipment as "new tech". I think that is something which one can not dispute just as one can not deny the merit of your and Harbir's contentions.

If HM had any brainy people they would highlight the value proposition inherent in the Cedia courtesy it's impeccable build quality & depth of engineering input in the design of the vehicle, work on assuring prospective buyers any misgivings on account of A.S.S. are ill founded and work on improving the A.S.S. part of the equation based on existing customer base feedback. HM & MMC also need to emphasise on MMC'c commitment to India and the fact that any person buying a MMC product is not going to be left high and dry as in the case of the Peugeot fiasco. Let's face it even at around 10 lacs that is a very big bucks commitment for a lot of middle class folks. No one wants to face a predicament of the kind the buyers of a Peugeot or a Cielo ( after Daewoo's demise) faced by buying a MMC product when the local partner is perpetually on life support and may very soon end up in the morgue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harbir (Post 2840355)

If you want to pay 13 lacs for a new lancer, you're entitled to demand the new lancer. But if HM isn't selling the new Lancer at 13lacs, how does that alter the calculation for a person buying a 9lac car today? How does the absence of the new lancer make the Vento or the City a better choice than the Cedia?

Well I think I did get a little heated up in my discussion. I wasn't trying to put the Cedia down. All I was saying is the way Mitsubishi is functioning in India is crap. The Cedia is a good product, but that is no excuse for not launching newer products. Let them sell the Cedia at 9l, but for god sakes get some new products too in this segment.

no disagreement there.

All Cedia onners -
I got call from Aquest motors here in Mumbai. They have called me to their service center to replace Fuel Gauge. After probing customer representative confirmed that this is for the replacement of faulty Fuel gauge (so some sort of recall).

Has anyone so far received any such call?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Car&me (Post 2838906)
You have to drive it and own it. It kind of grows on you. Man I do miss cedia.

Very very right.

I miss it so much that my desktop/laptop/phone wall papers have my Cedia's shots. Currently am driving a Red Rooster-ed , K&N-ed FABIA running on 205 patch which is absolute fun in straights but after all this, when I get back home and sit in my cedia - I close my eyes, grip the steering , feel the gush of emotion run inside me and I take her for a long ride with Bruce S-teen shouting 'When the road is dark..........' !

That feeling is so intoxicating that I have decided to go and meet my Cedia for the coming weekend right now.

It may not be a great car or may not very fast for the current gen specs but it sure grows on you. It does.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harbir (Post 2839292)
Whether the Cedia is more or less fun to drive than the civic or the Laura is not the most relevant question. What is relevant is that it absolutely BLOWS AWAY all the competition in its price range.

The fact that so many supposedly driving enthusiasts on this forum are buying its competition while this car is trashed on the forum indicates a disconnect from the reality of this car.

I could not agree with you more. I was simply blown away by the cedia's mature and solid handling , and very functional and elegant interiors.

My only issue was I was not confident if Mitsubishi will be around when I needed spares and servicing. I got the feeling that mitsubishi HM was not "trying" to sell their cars, but will sell you one if you wanted one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dipen (Post 2839477)
On similar lines of wantarangerover,
enthusiasts still wont buy a Cedia because:
In a city oriented drive, one does not want a stiff suspension as it will impact/spoil his driving pleasure. So a driver who wants a soft setup is not necessarily a non-enthusiast. .

Have a question here on the new Cedia. I was told the suspension for the 2012 models have been softened, which has to some extent affected it's cornering ability. Is this true?

8 years driving a carb Esteem (my first and only car) and I loved every minute of it, despite the pretty weak electricals and the 'age'. Unfortunately, my mechanic used 'local' parts while overhauling the suspension last year, since when the car's been limping around corners. I'm not an enthusiast in the sense that I pretend to know anything mechanical about cars, but it breaks my heart every time it fails to corner like it used to. A couple of months ago, I realized that I could afford the Cedia in it's 'new' avatar. I couldn't care less how new/dated the car is so long as it has a few basics sorted in terms of build (exteriors & chassis not interiors), suspension setup (stiff enough to corner with stability at high speeds), a well equipped & good quality electrical system (to handle stereo/nav/lighting upgrades) and of course, Black Leather Upholstery :). .kidding- but I will like to enjoy driving the car for at least 4-5 years!! I don't care about the latest technology. Gadgets can eventually be purchased as long as a car's electrical system can support them! IMO new doesn't necessarily translate to more value. Lack of manufacturer support for a car that's sold in select markets (1 in this case) is a valid concern but design, particularly datedness is a subjective concept. If a car speaks to you despite the silence around it, or contrary to other voices, you should put your value on it and buy it if it is under that value or at that value. And that's the only reason I'm desperate to buy a Cedia (am waiting for an answer to my question on suspension settings for the 2012 model) even though I can perhaps afford the required stretch to buy say a Civic (although with HM, I might need the money saved to maintain the Cedia anyway!). Bottom-line HM doesn't need to lure Cedia buyers with cheap gimmicks like this. The only people who're going to buy a Cedia are going to buy it with or without the bolt-ons and gadgets. The others are not going to buy it even if it comes in yellow and transforms into Bumblebee!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pseudosage (Post 2878646)
Have a question here on the new Cedia. I was told the suspension for the 2012 models have been softened, which has to some extent affected it's cornering ability. Is this true?

Dont have an idea on the same. However I didnt find the Cedia's (2006 model that I drove in 2009 and 2011) suspension soft or stiff. I would call it very mature, solid and composed. It does not get unsettled in 95 % scenarios. I did not try any ultra quick corners but it was very staple on a flat curve on a flyover bridge. In fact it is very perfect for urban and urban highways though it is not a Fiesta S. Its excellent low end torque and linear power delivery helps for a smooth driving experience. It absorbs potholes better than the Civic for sure. Corolla tosses me a lot left and right on encountering a pothole.

The gearshift appears like it is inspired from Gated gears of yesteryear Ferraris and Lambos. It takes slight effort compared to Hyundais and Hondas but it is ultra sure-slotting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dipen (Post 2878857)
Dont have an idea on the same. However I didnt find the Cedia's (2006 model that I drove in 2009 and 2011) suspension soft or stiff. I would call it very mature, solid and composed. It does not get unsettled in 95 % scenarios. I did not try any ultra quick corners but it was very staple on a flat curve on a flyover bridge. In fact it is very perfect for urban and urban highways though it is not a Fiesta S.
The gearshift appears like it is inspired from Gated gears of yesteryear Ferraris and Lambos. It takes slight effort compared to Hyundais and Hondas but it is ultra sure-slotting.

Thanks Dipen, what I heard was that the Cedia suspension was re-done (softened) ironically enough when they launched the Cedia 'Sports'. .thought i'd check. If like you say this hasn't happened since 2006, then great :).

Wel, its been 4 years since i bought my Cedia and everytime I take it out on a nice long winding road, it thrills me all over again.

I love driving on these two lane roads and the Cedia has been the perfect companion for me. Yes, its not veyr fuel effecient, yes it does not have the grunt of a Cruze, yes it does not have the interiors of a Vento/Skoda and yes it does not have all the gizmos of the Hyundai stable.

But what it does have is an amazing ability to connect the driver to the road. The steering and suspension play a great part in this and the car just becomes a part of you sometimes. I also must add here that other than one or two small things the car has been very easy and cheap to maintain. God forbid you have a small accident, then things are different as spares are very expensive.

A couple of really painful Service center visits (engine check light issue)+ the price of petrol did push me to look at buying a new car, but I came away unexcited from all the above test drives and today continue to drive the Cedia on a daily basis.

Like someone has already said in this thread, the Cedia is a drivers car, marred by a relic of a company, which has lost its ability to understand and guage customers needs. Infact, with the Cedia, they kind of started messing up from day one.

Anyway, I wish Mitsubishi had come to India on their own and had launched an updated Lancer by now, but if wishes were horses, beggers would ride.

A bit OT: but would anyone have an idea to a good independent garage for my Cedia? I am sick of the service center. I wonder if they do anything there at all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mav2000 (Post 2880153)
A bit OT: but would anyone have an idea to a good independent garage for my Cedia? I am sick of the service center. I wonder if they do anything there at all.

mav2000, have u tried SVR in hosur road?. Till 1 year ago they gave good service to me.

SVR is the only option now days. But they tend to be good in parts