Team-BHP - Should the Tata Sumo be put to rest?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Should the Tata Sumo be put to rest? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/12369-should-tata-sumo-put-rest.html)

Tata Sumo, a major contributor in Tata's success story, is in a way fighting a losing battle in the MUV segment from UVs such as the Scorpio, Innova, Tavera. Although its rural brother, the Spacio, is selling in decent numbers, the Sumo Victa has failed to attract the urban customer. Although I still like the Sumo for its rugged character, it does not have the refinement of the Innova, the character of the Scorpio or the practicality of the Tavera. Shouldn't Tata launch a much needed improved version of the Sumo and/or the Sumo should be put to rest for an all new vehicle based on the Indiva/Xover concept or reposition Sumo as an SUV with mechanicals sourced from the Safari DICOR?

Do you know the number of sumo's still used by BPO's and the likes to ferry employees from home to the office and back? It's pretty big. And why would these companies go for these sumo's? For the reason that they spacious and cheap! So now, wouldn't sourcing mechanicals from suv's like the safari dicor and other elements from all the above mentioned vehicles increase its price? And wouldn't this increase diter companies from going for the sumo?

Godspeed.

Alok.

The Tavera / Innova / Scorpio breed may be superior to the Sumo, but they are in an entirely different price bracket. Tata is playing the price card with the Sumo.

GTO

I think the sumo will ultimately be killed by the new rihno which is based on the old toyota qualis...........

I agree with Ghostrider and GTO, the new vehicles bought by the BPOs are almost exclusively Sumos and Indicabs as the price the Tavera is a clear one lac above the Sumo.

The market should decide fate of Sumo.

Different people have different requirements and Sumo serves some requirements in a nice manner (passenger ferry or whatever you say)rl:

See, Ambassador is running fine for 50 years even though car freaks consider it a junk box!

Guys
TATA's planning to Planning to give a facelift to Sumo somewhere this year.They are planning and working on a new next gen UV codenamed X2 seems that this vehicle will finally replace Sumo say in next 2-3 years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbasak
See, Ambassador is running fine for 50 years even though car freaks consider it a junk box!

Hold your tongue boy! Beware of the comments you make. A certain popular moderator here has a so called junk box, in a 'spit & shined' mint condition, which is loved by almost everyone who have come in contact with it, from what I have heard!
And car freaks love the dear old amby, it has served our nation well all these years!
I myself have a soft corner for it, having learned how to drive on one!

Godspeed.

Alok.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostrider4385
Do you know the number of sumo's still used by BPO's and the likes to ferry employees from home to the office and back? It's pretty big. And why would these companies go for these sumo's? For the reason that they spacious and cheap! So now, wouldn't sourcing mechanicals from suv's like the safari dicor and other elements from all the above mentioned vehicles increase its price? And wouldn't this increase diter companies from going for the sumo?

Godspeed.

Alok.

I completely RODGER that Captain ! :p .
Recently, My company replaced the Travel 's contracter, where we had like a mixture of 150 Indica's and Qualis's replaced by New SUMO VICTA's & Tavera's. As qualis was discontinued, & companies demanding for new vehicles for a 3 yr contract, still the requirement for TATA SUMO is adequate. ( TATA YAMO, it how ma driver call's it... lol: ).........

Cheers,
Jai

Sumos will not die for another decade.

I think its time TATA's upgrade the SUMO, Although it is a fine vehicle it definitely has scope for refinement.. A Sun/Moon Roof on the Sumo would not be out of place.. And TATA might consider elongating the wheel-base a bit in order to improve handling by reducing the centre of gravity.. Also, modify the suspension a-la scorpio and finally do something about the fact that tyres get eaten up a lot on the Sumo..

All said and done, the Sumo still has a long way to go before being taken off the roads.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbasak

The Ambassador will always have a soft corner in my heart since i learnt my first driving lessons on it.. Being uncompassionate with the amby is being uncompassionate with the history of Indian motoring.. Every individual old enough to post on this forum has travelled in an Amby atleast once.. You cannot say the same about most other vehicles..

I am sure tata wont replace the sumo for atleast 3 more years.. Hope they at least change the external looks

Quote:

Originally Posted by man23ish
A Sun/Moon Roof on the Sumo would not be out of place..

:Shockked:

With the Qualis out-of-production, the Sumo does have hope.

Quote:

Do you know the number of sumo's still used by BPO's and the likes to ferry employees from home to the office and back? It's pretty big. And why would these companies go for these sumo's? For the reason that they spacious and cheap!
True, but there are other alternatives that these companies tend to choose. No idea about Hyderabad, but most BPO's here in Mumbai also use TATA Indica or Indigo to a large extent.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beeman
I think the sumo will ultimately be killed by the new rihno which is based on the old toyota qualis...........

i doubt the build quality of the rhino will match up even to a tata sumo ...

india is not a country with a dozen alternatives in each segment ... the sumo stands alone as a cheap people mover , and it stills sells quite a bit ... why discontinue it unless its sales drop or tata plans a 'replacement' for it??? ... which is not on the cards right now.

sumo or no sumo, dont hurt the old man' sentiments about the amby....

sumo is good enough for ferrying people, vegetables and other goods in the V A S T rural india. there is absolutely no point killing it.

We now say that stopping the qualis was not a very good business decision. there is no way ratan tata will do that mistake. I am sure they will throw in facelifts on time. IMO another five years atleast.