Old 20th July 2012, 18:25   #1
BHPian

Volvo Cars coming to Gujarat?

Just read this in TOI:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/15050911.cms
Old 20th July 2012, 19:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Volvo Cars coming to Gujarat?

For a moment I thought Volvo Trucks is moving/expanding to Sanand!

I remember reading about a statement by then Volvo Cars India's MD. He had said that they would start assembling cars in India from the time they start selling 2000 units a year.

But then, if they indeed assemble cars in India and also use it as a export hub to nearby countries (such as UAE), they can give a serious competition to the Germans.

But the big question remains: how are they going to sell all those cars assembled in India, without expanding their sales and service network?
Old 20th July 2012, 19:47   #3
BANNED

re: Volvo Cars coming to Gujarat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
For a moment I thought Volvo Trucks is moving/expanding to Sanand!
Even felt the same as I read the title. Opened the thread to see was it buses division or the Cars.

Coming to the news link, If this true then Man GJ is on roll. All the automobile manufacturers would have a plant in Gujrat. Good to see such development.

Hope the Quality is not sacrificed while assembling it here in India as compared with CBU units. Moreover, there would be a reduction in prices of their cars as localisation would have brought the manufacturing costs down.
Old 26th July 2012, 15:18   #4
BHPian

Re: Volvo Cars coming to Gujarat?

When I read the title of this thread, the image that came to my mind was - Volvo S60 Powered by CNG ???
INNOVATOR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2012, 17:15   #5
Senior - BHPian

Volvo - forget the safety devices at the moment. They are not important in India. Instead start scouting for good vendors for CNG conversions. You 304 bhp monster engines will now have to run on CNG.

Now PLEASE dont tell me that more people die in India in road accidents than because of respiratory diseases and hence better roads and safer cars should be given more importance than these CNG conversions. Now now now... Logic? Common sense? What's that?

Last edited by raj_5004 : 26th July 2012 at 17:17.
Old 30th July 2012, 07:59   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Volvo XC40 could make its debut in India!

Quote:
Volvo Auto India commented that the Swedish automaker is contemplating on a new entry level product for India. This ‘mysterious product’ will make its global debut at the Paris Motor Show and the India debut will happen in the next six months. Incidentally, the XC40 will also make its global debut at the 2012 Paris Motor show.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2012, 08:57   #7
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

This would be brilliant. The Perfect car for me I think! If I cant afford an XC60 then the XC40 might be the next best!
However with this new policy of 10% duties on account of the EU Bilateral Trade Agreement, it might reduce prices to such an extent that all these nice Euro machines could become accessible to us regular joe Indian blokes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Volvo XC40 could make its debut in India!

Old 21st March 2013, 19:10   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Volvo not to invest now in a new plant.

Quote:
Volvo, now owned by Chinese car maker Geely, is exploring options with partners, likely Volvo AB, its erstwhile Swedish owner to produce these luxury cars... The company will not invest in a new plant, but look at using spare capacity of existing auto companies to produce its luxury cars. Volvo has a bus and truck making facility in Bangalore.
http://www.wheelsunplugged.com/news/...ing-india/1281
Old 22nd March 2013, 11:05   #9
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic move. Peugeot now out of the picture for good, Volvo would make a great fit! Sanand is developing, albeit a little slower than a few years back, and with big automobile manufacturers like Tata and Ford already invested in Gujarat there's no looking back.
Old 22nd April 2015, 20:22   #10
Senior - BHPian

Reviving an old thread since I don't think a new one is warranted for this bit of news. An article in TOI states that Volvo plans to invest 700 crores in India over the next 5 years. This would be mainly in buses, trucks, construction equipment and financial services.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...w/47016718.cms
Old 22nd April 2015, 20:29   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
Reviving an old thread since I don't think a new one is warranted for this bit of news. An article in TOI states that Volvo plans to invest 700 crores in India over the next 5 years. This would be mainly in buses, trucks, construction equipment and financial services.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...w/47016718.cms
But the Volvo company mentioned in the news has nothing to do with the main topic of this thread, Volvo cars. Well, perhaps except the logo.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks