Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2017, 11:23   #136
Team-BHP Support

Re: Will Tata Motors be able to regain its market share?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home View Post
With Tata's cost cutting in place, will they also put on hold their new projects like the Q501, Discovery Sport look alike. I hope not.
Hope not. It has a lot of potential as the segment is just opening up. Just get the package right, brand it as a 'Safari' and price it right - should defenitely help the brand image across the range of products.

With the AMP platform taking care of future products - the long term lineup looks clear. A+ segment hatch (Tiago), Compact sedan (Tigor), Compact SUV (Nexon for now, but is the last product of the old Vista platform and the next generation will be AMP based), Premium hatchback (X451), C segment sedan and D segment premium SUV (Q501).

I suspect they will develop a Creta rival as well, but thats just speculation for there are too many things in their plate for now.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2017, 11:43   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Tata Motors starts a massive cost-cutting drive across multiple future projects which have been identified as deterrents to the company's profitability & growth going forward.
While it is good to cut on superfluous expenditure, I sincerely hope Tata Motors does not slip into adopting myopic approach. There are few investments which are required to build a brand and while they won't give immediate returns, they go a long way in building brand.

Racemo was fresh approach in the battle to take on the might of Maruti-Suzuki. Performance sub-brands are not a new idea. Maruti has started a Toyota-Lexus like thing with Nexa with focus on luxury and premium quality. Tata Motors has an opportunity window to spin-off Tamo as a performance focused sub-brand. Racemo would only give a jump start to this idea.
ksameer1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2017, 12:25   #138
BHPian

Coming back to the thread title - Will Tata Motors be able to regain its market share?

Few thoughts come to my mind. I recollect that Tata's (Telco to be precise) had something of a similar situation some decades back when the launch of Tata Indica kind of brought them back from the brink.

In those days I was doing a survey for my management project and meeting up many of the mid-tier companies / workshops in Bhosari, Pimpri-Chinchwad areas, basically the industrial areas on old Mumbai-Pune highway. I had met folks showing me the keys to their workshop which they were giving to banks due to the severe recession. Quite a few were supplying components / parts to Tatas and they were badly hit.

It was Indica which saved them and then they never looked back. In hindsight should I say that they should have looked back!
They became complacent with their products and with poor service feedback took a hit to their image and brand which in our kind of market is definitely a crisis.

As an example - I felt that they missed out giving the right upgrade for their iconic safari. I know the kind of cult status it enjoyed and still enjoys. Personally I felt that the upgrade from the aggressive and simple front to a sophisticated mellowed down front did most of the damage. Storme never had the look that the older Safari had. (no offense to anyone, just my 2 cents).

Having said all that, I feel they do have the resilience and ability to come back and their recent products - Tiago, Tigor, Zest and now Nexon shows that they are on the right track and putting efforts in the right place. The market has become much more complex now and competition is fierce though.

Apart from what they are doing, I feel that they should also put their energies in starting some social campaigns which can enhance their products and ensure more positive vibes in connecting with the masses.

This is essential to counter the negativity that seems to crop up due to people just adding to the rants from someone having a bad experience and brow-beating them without any experience. I have a Tata Nano Twist and also had a Maruti Omni for many years and trust me, my experience with maruti was not that great.

So while not really being a Tata fan, I do think they have the ability to recover, just that they need razor sharp focus and maturity in their strategies ahead. So here's wishing them all the best!

Last edited by SSD2122 : 3rd August 2017 at 12:38.
SSD2122 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 14:11   #139
BHPian

Looks like it will progress to third position in market share: Nov 2017 dispatches
Source

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 6th December 2017 at 14:18.
Thermodynamics is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th December 2017, 11:46   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

TATA Motors add another feat to its credit - Now is India's 4th Largest Car-maker!

Quote:
Tata Motors had set itself the aim of becoming the largest carmaker in India by 2019 and it seems to be well on its way to achieve that goal. The company has become the fourth largest carmaker in terms of cars dispatched from the factory in the period from August 2017 to November 2017. It surpassed Honda Cars India in the process, and it has now set its sights on the next contender on the list - Mahindra.
Source
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2017, 12:20   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
TATA Motors add another feat to its credit - Now is India's 4th Largest Car-maker!

Source
Largest car maker by 2019 ?

I am not sure anyone has any market share after first two I think Tata needs to find a segment where they could dominate. Maybe having something that differentiates themselves could be that. Ford Ecosport gave a SUV like vehicle at hatchback prices to succeed. Tata should think something on those lines.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2017, 12:54   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Largest car maker by 2019 ?

I am not sure anyone has any market share after first two I think Tata needs to find a segment where they could dominate. Maybe having something that differentiates themselves could be that. Ford Ecosport gave a SUV like vehicle at hatchback prices to succeed. Tata should think something on those lines.
TATA was the first to give SUVs to India. They were the first to bring in an affordable diesel hatch. But they never really capitalised on their first mover advantage. When they started doing well, everything else was forgotten. That gives indications about the management quality. I seriously doubt they will be able to deliver what they are hoping to.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2018, 10:40   #143
BHPian

Is Tata motors battling temporary rough waters or poised for a fall from the hill ?

Hi BhPians,

I am approximately 6.5 in height and during my period of scoping for a hatchback/sedan to suit my 100+ Km daily drive approximately 2 years back, (Tata motors was my last choice of visit after Maruti, Hyundai, Nissan, Honda and Renault) and almost coming to a conclusion that SUV/MUV is the only suitable category for me in terms of driving comfort, the Tata Zest punched me in the face for omitting it in the first place.

In my personal opinion, I did not find a vehicle as comfortable as the Zest. Mainly in-terms of the ride quality and comfort it offers to the driver. Yes, not even the Nissan Sunny matches it.

But the only thing which pulled me away from owing a zest was the after sales experience that my friends, colleagues and even known taxi owners report about Tata motors. Mostly the fault of dealership and its employees, but the brand has to take a blame for not controlling them.

Leaving my personal opinion aside, the company was still doing good in the market with steady amount of market share until recently its been all over the news and papers and for all the wrong reasons !

Looks like its investor sentiment is on 7 year low even after Tata motors being the only brand in INDIA who boldly released an EV both on the 4 and 6 wheeler segment conveying its production ready and waits for the right market environment !

Why is the market not encouraging an OEM who aligns with the 2030 EV vision of INDIA ?

1. So what exactly is happening guys ? What are you views ?
2. Anybody closely associated with Tata Motors can let us know the path where it is heading to ?

3. Economist and Financial Analyst or CA's - your views please ?
Tamarind is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th October 2018, 10:57   #144
BHPian

re: Is Tata motors battling temporary rough waters or poised for a fall from the hill ?

I do not think Tata Motors is in any trouble. At least the future does not seem as bleak as you paint it to be.

First, The EV is really irrelevant for the foreseeable future. I do not think the EV release should improve or depress the investors' mood. Second, Tata Motors has the highest year-on-year growth this year save Jeep (that is only because Compass was not in the picture 1 year ago). Third, all the recent product releases from the company has been well received and upcoming products H5X etc. are creating quite a ripple in Indian car scene.

Due to the above three reasons, I do not agree that Tata Motors is going downhill.
ashlil is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th October 2018, 10:58   #145
Team-BHP Support

re: Is Tata motors battling temporary rough waters or poised for a fall from the hill ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamarind View Post
Looks like its investor sentiment is on 7 year low even after Tata motors being the only brand in INDIA who boldly released an EV both on the 4 and 6 wheeler segment conveying its production ready and waits for the right market environment !
Markets are generally down! Even the once mighty Maruti Suzuki has fallen more than 3000rs per share.

The below thread helps to track automotive shares - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...sector-20.html (Guide: Investing in shares of the automotive sector)
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th October 2018, 11:04   #146
Team-BHP Support

You need to track Jaguar Land Rover business too, and not just Harrier launch or 2030 India EV plan.

Jaguar Land Rover to shut its Solihull plant for two weeks as Chinese sales slump
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/09/jagu...les-slump.html

- JLR reported a nearly 50 percent drop in sales to China as import duties and a trade war with the U.S. hurt demand
- About 45 percent of the firm's sales are diesel models, which have been hit by clampdowns and tax rises in some countries as governments try to cut air pollution
- Investor concerns about impact of any Brexit-related loss of free and unfettered trade with the European Union

Last edited by SmartCat : 10th October 2018 at 11:07.
SmartCat is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 10th October 2018, 11:07   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamarind View Post
Hi BhPians,

But the only thing which pulled me away from owing a zest was the after sales experience that my friends, colleagues and even known taxi owners report about Tata motors. Mostly the fault of dealership and its employees, but the brand has to take a blame for not controlling them.
Tata seems to be addressing the Sales/after sales experience. On sales I have personal experience as I wanted to test ride the Hexa. The dealer stood me up for the same but someone from Tata called me and when they learnt of it I got my test ride the very next day. The dealer was literally chasing me. When I test rode the Nexon the Sales guy went out of the way and was encouraging me to push the car in every aspect. On service you can read the Hexa ownership thread and having owned a Safari I can say they are much better than before. The JD power survey also reflects this improvement.

Greater After-Sales Satisfaction Achievable with Improved Service Advisor Communication, J.D. Power Finds

Quote:
Leaving my personal opinion aside, the company was still doing good in the market with steady amount of market share until recently its been all over the news and papers and for all the wrong reasons !
This is primarily due to a sales slump in JLR, the PV & CV segments are doing quite well. Looking at the upcoming domestic product portfolio I think things will get better as we go along with the list of upcoming launches. JLR too is making massive investments in product development which will bear fruit in the long run
nainan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th October 2018, 11:12   #148
Senior - BHPian

Could this topic be merged with the related thread below?

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ket-share.html (Will Tata Motors be able to regain its market share?)

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 10th October 2018, 11:16   #149
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Is Tata motors battling temporary rough waters or poised for a fall from the hill ?

Don't have any knowledge on market performance and related things. But in my view, Tata has been the only manufacturer in recent times that has really stepped up its game with respect to new products rather than attempting to recycle the same products again and again. The customers are slowly rewarding Tata for this which is reflected in the numbers of the Tiago and Nexon and to a lesser extent even on the Hexa, Tigor and Zest. They also have some good products in the pipeline.

I assume over a long term period, the market will also reward Tata. From an India sales and support perspective, if you really like one of their cars and it meets your requirements, I see no reason for not going ahead.
Rajeevraj is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 10th October 2018, 12:23   #150
Senior - BHPian

Re: Is Tata motors battling temporary rough waters or poised for a fall from the hill ?

Since when do we all get to open a new thread based on our personal perceptions?

The thread and it’s title are speculative and mostly contrary to publicly accessible facts.
Steeroid is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks