Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2012, 17:12   #46
JRD
BHPian

re: Gujarat: All cars to be on CNG by July 2013! (Psst..didn't happen)

quote from the TOI article "one year from today for the protection of lives of citizens"

Really? I can envision the sub-standard jugaadu CNG kits installed on a Rs.50,000 used car + the poor fitment of accessories (typical eg: a cool reverse horn) without any certification making accidents a whole different chapter to discuss as far as public safety is concerned. For all we know the accidents between unsafe cars like this is much more of a concern for the citizens than the co2 emissions from these cars.

The recent careless rulings from the authorities makes me question, are we living in a democracy or dictatorship? Surely a petition has to be filed against this judgement.

Whats next a ban on bright colored vehicles? (on the basis of distracting the concentration of other motorists!)
Old 26th July 2012, 17:25   #47
BHPian

I don't understand one thing.
The ruling states that all four wheeler should be converted to CNG , but what stops someone to use petrol or diesel in a converted vehicle?.

Are they planning to ban sale of petrol or diesal altogether ?
Old 26th July 2012, 17:32   #48
BHPian

First, ban on the sun-film judgement by Supreme Court and now GJ High court asking to convert all GJ registered vehicles to Natural Gas. What are these Judges up to? On sun film ban thread, I started with honorable Judge/Court but if they are coming up with these kind of Taghlakhi ideas, God save this country. I am pretty sure, this judgement is going no where. It will be challenged and cancelled, for sure.

Edit: Even if this judgement is implemented as a law (NOT POSSIBLE THOUGH), how will the law enforcement agency will determine that the existing cars are running on petrol or natural gas? Will they pass law to ban selling of petrol as well? What is this country upto?

If they want to go towards usage of Natural gas, They have to gradually move towards that direction and not passing a judgement like this.

Last edited by Nitrous Power : 26th July 2012 at 17:37.
Old 26th July 2012, 18:08   #49
BHPian

WOW! So all the Gujju owned A8's and Merc's will now run on natural gas. I wonder if there are any CNG kits available in the market that are compatible with the massive W12's in those cars.

Also, now that most of the manufacturers are setting up their units in Gujarat, will they have to equip their pre-production test-mules with CNG kits?
Abhinav667 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2012, 18:13   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinav667 View Post
WOW! So all the Gujju owned A8's and Merc's will now run on natural gas. I wonder if there are any CNG kits available in the market that are compatible with the massive W12's in those cars.

Also, now that most of the manufacturers are setting up their units in Gujarat, will they have to equip their pre-production test-mules with CNG kits?
Imagine a C63 AMG with CNG That would be a sight to watch. I am wondering what will happen to BMW/Audi S and the Skoda VRs - guess the Judges need a VRS (voluntary Retirement Scheme) now. Thankgod Bhuddh circuit is not in GJ, had it been in GJ, then all F1 cars will have to be running on CNG.

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 26th July 2012 at 18:15.
AlphaKilo is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th July 2012, 18:28   #51
BANNED

This is a good move from the environmental side but coming to the feasibility of the cars being maddod to be running on CNG is a part to be looked into.

My part of doubt is whether diesel can be linked with a CNG unit as done in a petrol powered one.

All the big boys on CNG waiting for fuel at stations will be a sight to watch.
Old 26th July 2012, 18:41   #52
Team-BHP Support

A cleaner State and more efficient cars is obviously the intention / motive behind this. And I respect that.

But it all went wrong when they proceeded to apply the idea.

First, they raise the price of petrol while keeping diesel as it is. And now they want to implement an all-CNG rule? How are those diesel cars going to run on it? How are the tanks going to be topped? What about non-State cars driven by visitors? What about the nod from the manufacturers?

Providing 'round-the-clock electricity, a brilliant network of roads, land for automobile production, etc is good. But the very companies that they'd invited to set up shop might want to leave.

I really don't think they've thought this through. And it's not surprising at all.

EDIT: What happens to all those ML320 CDIs and Fortuners run by the Netas? They'd be exempt from this rule, I would imagine.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 26th July 2012 at 18:43.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2012, 19:13   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
My part of doubt is whether diesel can be linked with a CNG unit as done in a petrol powered one.
Apparently it can be done - or so these guys claim. They say they are the only provider of a real world solution for the same.

Omnitek Diesel To Natural Gas Engine Conversion New Natural Gas Engines and Natural Gas Trucks and Buses Erdgas Umruestung

I wonder how 'real' (or good) they are.
Old 26th July 2012, 20:31   #54
BHPian

Within 1 year? Does Gujarat has the infrastructure to provide so much CNG?
I think first they should convert the Buses, autos, taxis and once they have enough number of filling stations for CNG, one can think of that.

Seriously what's up with the courts? Sun films was first and now this??!!
Old 26th July 2012, 20:37   #55
BHPian

Ain't gonna happen. Cannot, will not happen. Feasibility or the lack of it aside, this has the feel of a diktat. Diktats have no place in a free country. This will be overridden soon when a well thought out review petition comes around.
Old 26th July 2012, 21:01   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I dunno why, today I suddenly remembered him? Must be some news in the newspaper which triggered the memory I guess.
Couldn't agree with you more on this. End of the day, its the common man who is going to suffer!

I'm still trying to figure out what the Judge was thinking while making such a decision. Didn't they think about the impact that could have on a regular Joe?

And, of course, the State Govt. has got another opportunity to waste our money to convert the state owned cars into CNG. Of course they don't have to take it from their own pockets.

r-six!
Old 26th July 2012, 21:50   #57
Senior - BHPian

First the ban on sun film and now this. I hope no other so called HCs of other states takes a que from Gujarat HC and implement in respective states.

Meanwhile does anyone in GJ owns a Bugatti Veyron? I am ready to travel all the way from Bangalore to have a look at the CNG conversion kit for it and to watch it stand in a queue behind autos for filling gas .
Old 26th July 2012, 22:04   #58
BHPian

I seriously doubt that the HC judges had passed this order keeping the environment in mind.
Form top to bottom this entire episode reeks of lobbyism.
Even if I try to overlook some of the very obvious reasons, one thing I fail to understand is why is there a deadline of 1 year? Such a short deadline itself looks suspicious. Have they suddenly stated believing in that 2012 doomsday prophecy?
Needless to say, the reaction from the government and SC would definitely be quite interesting in this.
Old 26th July 2012, 23:48   #59
BHPian

First of all, someone ask this Judge to get the cars of all the Judges and lawyers fitted with CNG across Guju land and then across India before even thinking about such an idiotic order.

I hope some sense prevails, if NaMo Govt. doesn't come out with a statement reversing this, I think he can very well think his chances of fighting for a PM post a foregone conclusion.
rattandip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2012, 06:00   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by born_free View Post
Are they planning to ban sale of petrol or diesal altogether ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power View Post
Will they pass law to ban selling of petrol as well? What is this country upto?
Well, they can't really do that since they are supposed to provide petrol and diesel for two wheelers, Trucks, etc that ply on the roads too, right. Also, we need to consider vehicles that comes from outside GJ. Unless the tourism they are trying to promote will go for a toss too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
Thankgod Bhuddh circuit is not in GJ, had it been in GJ, then all F1 cars will have to be running on CNG.
You made me go splits on this one!

On a serious note, I'm still wondering the judges who passed the rule really did their homework or not. Were they sure that they have enough natural gas available at their disposal to cater all the four wheelers that are running on the GJ roads? Probably they just went with what was given to them in the appeal and not really think about the other implications that could effect the community.

r-six
R-Six is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks