Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2013, 17:13   #31
AWD
BHPian

Re: *Rumour* Toyota Liva 1.5L hot hatch coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acurafan View Post
Other than entry level Liva models in Petrol and Diesel, there is a tachometer in V and Vx.
When did they add a Tacho. in Diesel Variants ? I don't know of it !
Old 9th February 2013, 18:00   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
When did they add a Tacho. in Diesel Variants ? I don't know of it !
My bad, I meant to say diesel only has the entry level. Petrol has tacho in V and Vx. There is no V-Diesel.
Old 9th February 2013, 19:58   #33
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
My bad, I meant to say diesel only has the entry level. Petrol has tacho in V and Vx. There is no V-Diesel.
I guess diesel comes in two variants - G & GD.
Old 9th February 2013, 20:40   #34
BHPian

Quote:
G is petrol and GD is Diesel variant. G(P) and GD owners have the option to add safety package, that adds ABS and Airbags, but nothing else. From V, one has the option for Tacho, ICE and Fog Lights etc.
Old 9th February 2013, 21:30   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
G-D & G-D (SP) are the two diesel variants. The second one with Safety Package.
Old 9th February 2013, 22:35   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n:CorE View Post
I mean if you put a 90bhp (especially that 1.5, for which i have immense respect in terms of drivability) motor in a tin can, it will definitely go like stink.
Sometimes those "tin-can" perceptions develop looking at the thickness of the skin panels.

Having foil thin skin panels is not an issue. The real car lies inside. That real car, in case of the Etios is quite a well engineered one, otherwise you wouldn't get the structural rigidity thats so much required for an awesome handling (any body flex and the handling goes for a toss). The Etios is also known to hold up structurally with age. That's all that matters. When I say "Engineering", optimisation of weight, rigidity and usage of materials is much more complex than just over-engineering a product, in that respect nothing can beat the Japanese.

Quote:
The 'hot' and upcoming rivals manage to be safe, well-equipped, better quality and superbly engineered products (considering the Polo 1.2TSi & the Punto Abarth). The Liva 90bhp would just do fast unless the changes they bring about to the rest of the car are really a lot. I don't see any sense in pricing this a shade under 8-9Lakhs OTR.

Regards,

Yes those could be structurally over engineered, but when you look at electronics or the ability of those cars to withstand changes in their systems, you would think twice before paying money to buy those. Even in the US, VW cars are infamous for electronic glitches and the company mostly tries to pass those off as incorrect usage.

Regarding Abarth!! Less said the better. Let Fiat first setup its own distribution network first. There's always a buzz on Fiat products and when they finally hit the market, a decade is over. So any Fiat news is to be taken with many pinches of salt. Though love has strange ways, and am still in love with their cars.
Old 9th February 2013, 22:54   #37
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
G is petrol and GD is Diesel variant. G(P) and GD owners have the option to add safety package, that adds ABS and Airbags
Yup I'd forgotten that! Had almost bought the GD variant in March 2012. Took the payment back from dealer before delivery. Feel happy about it till date!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
G-D & G-D (SP) are the two diesel variants. The second one with Safety Package.
Yup thanks. Hope they bring in atleast one more variant this time that's fully loaded.
Old 9th February 2013, 23:27   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Sometimes those "tin-can" perceptions develop looking at the thickness of the skin panels.

Having foil thin skin panels is not an issue. The real car lies inside. That real car, in case of the Etios is quite a well engineered one, otherwise you wouldn't get the structural rigidity thats so much required for an awesome handling (any body flex and the handling goes for a toss). The Etios is also known to hold up structurally with age. That's all that matters. When I say "Engineering", optimisation of weight, rigidity and usage of materials is much more complex than just over-engineering a product, in that respect nothing can beat the Japanese.

Yes those could be structurally over engineered, but when you look at electronics or the ability of those cars to withstand changes in their systems, you would think twice before paying money to buy those. Even in the US, VW cars are infamous for electronic glitches and the company mostly tries to pass those off as incorrect
Structurally over engineered? I'm sorry, the VW Polo has got a Euro NCAP rating of 5 stars! Agreed the thin sheet metal used in the Etios siblings may be rigid but what about safety? All those electronics in the car are just to make it safer for the driver and its occupants, not to mention making them kinder to the environment as well. You put your money on such cars not just to have a fun drive but also it's ability to save your life when it goes wrong.

Yes electrical systems have their niggles, but they are a growing part of car building and Toyota must take a step forward with their incorporation. Cars earlier were mechanically unstable and over the years, their reliability has just increased with manufacturers slowly and steadily perfecting the art of building mechanically bulletproof vehicles, who better than Toyota to know that.

I've seen a crashed Toyota Etios at my local A.S.S and the sight was horrid and the car just seems like its outright dangerous.
n:CorE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2013, 01:27   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Structurally over engineered? I'm sorry, the VW Polo has got a Euro NCAP rating of 5 stars!

All those electronics in the car are just to make it safer for the driver and its occupants, not to mention making them kinder to the environment as well.

I've seen a crashed Toyota Etios at my local A.S.S and the sight was horrid and the car just seems like its outright dangerous.
What it the connection between Euro NCAP and Structural over-engineering. Lot of Japanese/Korean cars score 5 stars in Euro NCAP. Over engineering mostly deals with using more metal and reinforcements than required.

We are talking about a barebones performance car here, dont want electronic aids to do anything, apart from maybe the brakes (ABS). Besides on a front wheel drive layout, what electronic driver aids are required? Infact even if it was a performance rear wheel drive, the real fun is to switch the electronic aids off.

If one cant drive, one should not buy a high performance version of a car.

I have seen a crumpled Mercedes S class that looked out right dangerous. Visually one cannot make judgement looking at something.

Lets welcome the move Toyota is slated to make, it will probably also give push to the rally scene in India.
1100D is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2013, 13:49   #40
MYB
BHPian

Was nice to read the debate.

Well, coming back to the topic. One of my friend is in the market for a hatchback and she had visited Toyota showroom and was apparently told that the upgraded Liva is gonna be available for display on 10th of March. Let's hope that is true and we can get to see what are the exact changes that will be brought in.
Old 5th March 2013, 15:51   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Mod Note : Please continue the Liva 1.5L TRD Sportivo Discussion in Our Official Review. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYB View Post
Was nice to read the debate.

Well, coming back to the topic. One of my friend is in the market for a hatchback and she had visited Toyota showroom and was apparently told that the upgraded Liva is gonna be available for display on 10th of March. Let's hope that is true and we can get to see what are the exact changes that will be brought in.
That's already discussed & explained (along with a spy video) on the Etios official TD thread. Please do read thru!

Last edited by GTO : 27th March 2013 at 16:15. Reason: Adding link to official review
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks