Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2012, 14:53   #16
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: GM India - Hope less? or Aim less? or both?

GM has done OK with the Spark, Tavera & Beat and to some extent for some amount of time with the Cruz, Earlier of course they did modestly for a short period with the Optra, but right now are down in the pits in all segments.

The preception that they are higher maintenance vehicles with poor fuel effeciency (first gen Optra's) have not helped matters. The GM vehicles have been nice but not really driver focused vehicles, nor have they been too frugal on the liquid diet.

The Advt, Campaign where they assured the customer of trouble free maintenance including an AMC package for 3 years in the purchase has probably worked for them but they not need to take that a step upward to 5 years in present times.
Old 17th September 2012, 15:12   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: GM India - Hope less? or Aim less? or both?

I think the reason we have this thread is because GM India is still selling cars like the Aveo & UVA in spite of them selling in single digits. I think they have had a pretty decent run with their other models.

The spark had a consistent run of about 3-4k per month till the Beat D came in. I think this is largely because GM's talegaon plant has a flexi line, where in petrol & diesel engines are manufactured on the same line & preference was given to the Beat D.

The Tavera is still chugging along, although its showing its age. But as a people mover the Taxi operators don't mind.

The Beat got a new lease of life with the Diesel heart and is selling about 4-5k p.m which is pretty good.

The Cruze led its segment for quite some time with that stonker of an engine. I really feel GM should have made some subtle external changes as well when they launched the Cruze with the updated engine.

The Optra was neglected by GM and sold only via word of mouth. Only people who were sure of what they wanted went in for this car, besides it is an old car and is pretty much on its way out...

I've also got confirmation that the Sail (not sure Hatch or Sedan or both) is launching by the end of this month (23rd IIRC) with the MJD engine. If marketed well, they could do well for GM.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks