Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2012, 15:52   #1
Senior - BHPian

Spied : Citroen C4 Picasso

Citroen C4 Picasso was caught testing in Chennai ! Citroen has earlier changed the plan of setting up the plant ! What citroen is doing testing the car is a mystery though !
Spied : Citroen C4 Picasso-citroenc4testinginchennainearmahindracity.jpeg

More details on : http://indianautosblog.com/2012/09/c...ied-in-chennai

Last edited by fz_rider : 19th September 2012 at 15:55.
fz_rider is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2012, 16:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Spied : Citroen C4 Picasso

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz_rider View Post
Citroen C4 Picasso was caught testing in Chennai ! Citroen has earlier changed the plan of setting up the plant ! What citroen is doing testing the car is a mystery though !
Attachment 988295

More details on : http://indianautosblog.com/2012/09/c...ied-in-chennai
Test cars are usually masked, but this doesn't seem to be one. I think some one imported it.
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2012, 16:06   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Test cars are usually masked, but this doesn't seem to be one. I think some one imported it.
Do you remember , even Picanto was found without any tape !
fz_rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2012, 16:51   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Citroen is part of the Peugeot group. Considering Peugeot's weakened position in Europe, and eventual cancellation / delay of India investments, there is no chance that any Citroen car will be launched in India anytime soon.

Plus, the fiercely competitive marketplace isn't exactly welcoming of new players. It's hard to make a case for Peugeot / Citroen with no real USP to offer Indian customers.

Related Thread
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st September 2012, 09:35   #5
Team-BHP Support

^^To add on the current C4 Picasso is almost at the end of its life cycle. Anyway, it does not make any sense for the ailing PSA Peugeot Citroën to enter Indian market with a relatively expensive MPV.
vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2012, 09:49   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
delay of India investments, there is no chance that any Citroen car will be launched in India anytime soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Anyway, it does not make any sense for the ailing PSA Peugeot Citroën to enter Indian market with a relatively expensive MPV.
+ 1.

I tend to agree with whats written in the blog. The car might be imported by Mahindra for benchmarking its cars against foreign rivals. The area mentioned by the duo who took the pic- is famous for pics of Mahindra/ Ford spottings.

EDIT:

After I mentioned FORD - something started trickling inside my brain. Ford and Peugeot/Citroen have jointly developed diesel engines for sometime now. Some googling reveals that their latest agreement is for Euro-6 diesel engines which will roll out in 2013. Also - the 1.6L diesel under the hood of the C4 Picasso is used by both Ford as well as Peugeot internationally. The spotting was very near to the Ford plant as well. Will Ford be testing a new diesel engine for the Indian market?

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 21st September 2012 at 10:02.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st September 2012, 16:18   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Will Ford be testing a new diesel engine for the Indian market?
Why bring a whole car to India,that too a LHD, paying duties and so on! Instead they could have used a normal fiesta(old one - their test vehicle) by just plonking the engine into it(easier said than done!!). It would not have drawn any hawk eye attention at all! Now this is unnecessary attention drawing for them correct?

Although, I don't think Citroen is coming to India, but even if its a benchmarking, how will a car designed for European roads, traffic be used as a benchmarking against a vehicle designed purely for Indian market, unless, Mahindra or any other operator wants to enter Europe with their desi product!
Old 21st September 2012, 21:39   #8
Senior - BHPian

The test must be for other south-asian markets where traffic is not as smooth as US/Europe.

Indian would be a good place to test "stop and go" traffic conditions and also turning radii on tight narrow roads et all.

Citroen is not a widely known brand in india. Only enthusiasts and people who have travelled abroad would know the citroen brand.
Old 22nd September 2012, 02:58   #9
BHPian

I am hearing rumors that Citroen has dropped its plans for entering India!
Old 22nd September 2012, 08:36   #10
BHPian

I feel that even things like stop and go traffic can be easily simulated, the only reason that i can think if is that Chennai would have a similar climate to these south east markets and this could be part of some high humidity and heat testing of things like the ac and maybe even resistance to rust.
Old 27th February 2014, 09:31   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Found this Citroen (not sure about the model though) parked in a apartment near Urapakkam bridge (near Vandalur)

Spied : Citroen C4 Picasso-img_0733.jpg

Pardon me for the poor quality snaps. Taken with my iPhone

Last edited by Mr.Boss : 27th February 2014 at 09:33.
Mr.Boss is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th February 2014, 11:01   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Ford and Peugeot/Citroen have jointly developed diesel engines for sometime now. Also - the 1.6L diesel under the hood of the C4 Picasso is used by both Ford as well as Peugeot internationally. The spotting was very near to the Ford plant as well. Will Ford be testing a new diesel engine for the Indian market?
Kudos to you, a very logical guess indeed with Ford using a ready road worthy mule to test the motor in our conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Found this Citroen (not sure about the model though) parked in a apartment near Urapakkam bridge (near Vandalur)

However by the above quote do we also guess that the Picasso is parked in the apartment of a Ford official or it is just a plain import owned by a private owner.

Hence can't say anything at this point of time.
girishglg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2014, 11:49   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
it is just a plain import owned by a private owner.
I don't think so. It had red (testing) plates.
Mr.Boss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2014, 13:09   #14
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Two test cars in this photo?

If Peugeot-Citroën have dropped plans of entering the Indian market due to financial constraints, then I doubt they will be testing a car in India. Like others mentioned, it's probably Ford or maybe Mahindra or perhaps even a major component supplier doing the testing.

Is it just me, or did anyone else notice that there seems to be another test car in this spy photo? It's on the other side of the road, heading in the opposite direction, with camouflage on the front portion. The styling looks very "fluidic" to me!

Is it the Hyundai Elantra facelift?

Spied : Citroen C4 Picasso-image.jpg

Last edited by RSR : 27th February 2014 at 13:19.
RSR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2014, 14:23   #15
Team-BHP Support

Ford and Peugeot Citroen share diesel engines so this might be a test mule for diesel engines
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks