Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2012, 10:48   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mercedes ML250 CDI launched at Rs 46.5 L

the fortuner as SKD sells for around 23 ex-showroom, from the numerous fortuner threads it looks like most of the parts used are made in japan Sumitomo, Nippon Denso types, yet they price it at that range and we cry it is overpriced. the Ssangyong Rexton when it comes out will be in the same range and I believe the Koreans have used a Merc-based engine and switchgear, and electronics may well be better in the Ssangyong since they are out to impress rather than in the ML who is are considered premium and are out on a cost-cutting spree so their imported bits may well be from some not-so-premium vendors who could quote lower prices. There used to be a time in the 90s when a Merc Van based on the Viano was built by the Koreans (most likely Ssangyong) and marketed as Merc and briefly appeared on sale in India for a short while, I saw it at the 98 auto-expo.
Old 11th October 2012, 11:09   #17
Senior - BHPian

46 Lakhs for a M-class is an awesome price tag, comparing to its competitors. I wonder if anyone would would buy a Q5 or X3 when you get a car of upper segment for around the same price. Will the ML250 CDI get the 7 speed auto or the normal 5 speed in E250 CDI?
Anand123 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2012, 11:17   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Wow! Why is that? Merc plant in Pune does not have space?
Force have been assembling Mercedes engines for itself and exporting other sub-assemblies for a long time. The volumes do not justify Mercedes making engines in house in India
Old 15th October 2012, 21:14   #19
BHPian

Here's a good walk around video it also includes changes in features.

Y@SH is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2012, 23:34   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

its hilarious that in the video above the guy says you should buy the ml350cdi if you prefer being driven around as it has AC vents at the back. But if you are self driving the ml250cdi is a better option :

Have deliveries started? At the tempting pricetag has anyone heard of any waiting period already?

Last edited by Sahil : 16th October 2012 at 23:37.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2012, 08:19   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw the new ML on OMR Chennai yesterday. It is very impressive looking from all angles. Very wide, much wider than the Q5 or even the Fortuner. It should be very stable during cornering etc. The paint quality on the moroon one I saw was superb too.

However I still wonder if a 2.2 litre engine will ne able to effectively move this mammoth beast.
Old 17th October 2012, 14:46   #22
BHPian

Saw the car today. It is indeed a drool maal, looks much more fresh than the Q5s and Q7s....got many heads turned too at the mall. And with the killer pricing, it will be an amazing steal. The 2.2L engine will keep most of the buyers happy.
Old 18th October 2012, 00:38   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil

Have deliveries started? At the tempting pricetag has anyone heard of any waiting period already?
Deliveries in November b4 Diwali. Dealer staking 4 lakhs advance.
Old 22nd October 2012, 01:49   #24
BHPian

How much lower are RTO charges for SKD's compared to CBU's and CKD's?
Old 22nd October 2012, 08:01   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post

However I still wonder if a 2.2 litre engine will ne able to effectively move this mammoth beast.
Doesn't need to. For that, there is the 350 CDI with a warehouse full of torque and ofcourse even the lunatic AMGs (though i dont quite understand the concept of a super-fast petrol SUV).
With 500NM ,this thing will cruise around willingly all day at a brisk pace and offer great levels of comfort & above average efficiency (better than the 350 cdi) which is precisely what is expected of this 4-cylinder variant.

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 22nd October 2012 at 08:03.
Old 11th January 2016, 16:25   #26
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mercedes India sells 13,502 cars in 2015 - highest in a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Good times. Just hope Mercedes has improved its reliability.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Although we see niggles in the new S CLass (perils of new technology), the Mercs made in the past 5 years have been fairly reliable.
This is a bit off topic but twice the battery of our ML 250 has given way in past 6 months. It's a 2 year old car with about 30K on the odo.

The first time it happened when the car was in Mahalakshmi. It was driven on a sunday morning and in the afternoon it refused to start. All warning lights were coming on but it was not cranking. Mercedes sent a recovery van and they put a got the car running without having to take it to the service centre. I am not sure if they put in a new battery.

About 2 weeks back, the car was in Belgaum when it again conked off. Again all warning lights were coming on but the car refused to start. It was a Sunday again. Mercedes sent a flat bed from Hubli and the car was jumpstarted. The technician asked the driver to switch off the eco mode while driving in city conditions in the winter to avoid this problem!
amit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2016, 14:39   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
The technician asked the driver to switch off the eco mode while driving in city conditions in the winter to avoid this problem!
Sorry but what is the rationale behind this - i.e. how is this connected. I'm not questioning his advice, just trying to understand the co-relation since I too use Eco Pro a fair bit.
Old 12th January 2016, 15:48   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Sorry but what is the rationale behind this - i.e. how is this connected. I'm not questioning his advice, just trying to understand the co-relation since I too use Eco Pro a fair bit.
Does this mode activate the start-stop system in traffic? Maybe the start-stop system puts extra load on the battery, when battery is already slightly weaker due to the winter?
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2016, 10:52   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I can't see any logic in what he said. I assume he meant there is undue load on battery in frequent start/stop usage in city conditions but isn't the car tested for these conditions? Besides, how much start/stop can you do in a small city like Belgaum? Also, the winter part is beyond me. Mercedes comes from a cold continent like Europe and their cars are tested in heavy Swedish winters. What can Belgaum winter do that a Swedish one can't?!

I just remembered the first time the battery conked off the driver was asked if he was sitting with the radio switched on in the car. Even if he was can it drain the battery completely in just 2 hours? Maybe the heavy electronics in these high end cars can?

Last edited by amit : 13th January 2016 at 10:56.
amit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2016, 11:16   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Does this mode activate the start-stop system in traffic? Maybe the start-stop system puts extra load on the battery, when battery is already slightly weaker due to the winter?
Yes, in Mercedes Eco mode activates the start/stop system.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks