Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2012, 12:04   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Potential Buyer abusing your (used) car on a test-drive?!

No matter what, once you put up your car for sale, you should expect some amount of abuse. The reason is:
  • How would you know how the suspension behaves if you didn't drive a bit hard on bad roads?
  • How would you know what all sounds the vehicle has if you didn't do the above?
  • How would you know if the clutch slips, if you don't slip it?
  • How would know how well the brakes perform?
etc..etc..etc..

Well, like ACM mentioned there is also a fine line between totally abusing it and testing it to know it, and most people go overboard with the former.

So, how do you manage it?

If you are a seller, ask the potential buyer what all he needs to check, and go step by step. This way you know why he is doing all those antics. For example, if he wants to check the brakes, take him to a safe place and let him do the stuff, so that you have atleast some amount of safety.

If you are a buyer:
Communicate openly with the seller like Ajmat mentioned. Explain why you are doing those antics, so that he understands something.

At the end of the day, there will still be some discrepancy, as there are some knowledgeable people who still think revving a car or taking curve hard is abuse!
dhanushs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2012, 14:21   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
At the end of the day, there will still be some discrepancy, as there are some knowledgeable people who still think revving a car or taking curve hard is abuse!
Did not understand what this statement meant??
Old 16th October 2012, 16:41   #33
Senior - BHPian

Sometimes you need to drive the car roughly to test it. A car wont get affected if you drive over portholes and rev hard or red line it once or twice. If it does then it means there is something wrong with the car.

The reason I am saying this is because when I bought my esteem second hand I was taking test drives for quite a few cars. There was a 2 year old Manza all shining and new from outside, driven 30000 kms. I loved the look of the car and assumed it was maintained really well. I red lined it on Rajarhat and within seconds the check engine light came on and the displays stopped working. There were issues with the car which the seller didn't reveal before. I later ended up buying my esteem which was driven 60k + but was happy with it after the red lining and driving it roughly. Booked the car with a token then and there. After that I rarely have red lined the car. However if I never did that initially on the Manza and bought it, am sure I would have been spending out of my pocket now to rectify it.

I guess a person who actually loves his cars will remain within the car's limits because if he likes it, its going to be his anyways. As long as we have that in mind, I guess all will be well.

Last edited by Altocumulus : 16th October 2012 at 16:44.
Old 16th October 2012, 16:49   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

I recently sold my Palio S10 and had a very pleasant experience. Infact it was me who was asking the seller to 'push' the car to see the Fun To Drive factor of the car. However, the person was a through gentleman & an enthusiast (had an GTX earlier) and test-drove very very responsibly. He did rev, brake, accelerate etc but within limits.

As few people have mentioned, there is a thin (but very important) difference between pushing/driving the car to it's limit once a while and abusing the car.

It helps if the expectation is set upfront very clearly -- both while doing the test drive and while offering the test drive.
Old 16th October 2012, 17:15   #35
Senior - BHPian

Second hand car buyers too must realise that they are buying someone's cared for and mantained car, and must treat the car they test drive as if its their own car. Will one abuse, over rev, offroad, rip one's own car for the sake of checking performance?

A normal 5-10km drive in varied city areas should bring about issues regarding, engine, gearbox, clutch, suspension, rattles, normal performance etc. Rest, if required one may jack up the car on a hydraulic lift to check the underbody and the internals.

We Indians have this nasty habit of damaging/rough treatment on property which doesnt belong to us.
Old 16th October 2012, 17:50   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
That's an interesting point of view and triggered off an old memory.

I used to own an Accent way back when and a friend of mine took me along to inspect a used Zen. This was at a dealer and the dealer's rep also came with us on the TD. We drove a bit on the highway and then on some city roads.

I found the gearshift really vague and difficult to slot, especially after my butter-smooth Accent (at least it felt butter smooth then, gearboxes have come a long way since 2001). The dealer's rep gave me a funny look then says "Saab aap normally truck chalate ho kya?"

My friend contained his giggles till we got out of the car and then burst out laughing. I looked a him sheepishly and said, rather lamely, "Well...it was a hard gearshift..."

Meaning- one man's meat can well be another's poison and all that
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2012, 18:35   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunu View Post
Did not understand what this statement meant??
Hi Arun,

I think I messed up with the last part of my post, as when I read it again, its not coming out right.

What I meant is, what noopster has written below. Also, I wanted to say that I know a certain enthusiast, who is quite knowledgeable about cars, but still thinks revving a car is bad. I mean, whenever we are together, he gets a feeling that I kill my cars. You should see his face when we come up the ghats!!..

And, I think he is not using his car the way its meant to be used. Both of us cars have lasted long enough though. (I have an ikon which has gone through what not for about 1.3 lac kms, and still some of the suspension parts and clutch are stock)

I hope you get the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Meaning- one man's meat can well be another's poison and all that
Old 16th October 2012, 18:45   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I also keep a duplicate key in my pocket, with a view to kill the engine, in a safe area if things get too hairy!
I saw in another reply, you mean you cut off the ignition.
How exactly do you cut off the ignition using a duplicate key?
I mean you do it remotely???
Old 16th October 2012, 18:48   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
I meant duplicate remote key/immobiliser
Old 16th October 2012, 19:13   #40
Senior - BHPian

Sad to know about the incident. That's precisely the reason why I always prefer reputed used car dealers to do the job. You might stand to loose a few grands in the bargain but the peace of mind and assurance of dealing thru' a veteran compensates it all.

Have had sold about 4 cars in the last 8 years. Most of the transactions were carried out thru' a reputer used car dealer. Never had to undergo any hassles in terms of test drive and paper work as well.

The very recent sale transaction was even more interesting. The guy who came home to evaluate the car did not even move the car outta my garage! A walk around the car and a slight crank of the engine was enough for him to judge the condition

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 16th October 2012 at 19:15.
Old 18th October 2012, 18:15   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
I got the same question. How will keeping a spare key help to cut off the engine? I am on the shotgun seat and the ignition on the other end of the steering.

Edit: Got the reply from your latest post. But still confused. The Key has buttons to open and close the door? How will one cut off the ignition?

Last edited by ashishy : 18th October 2012 at 18:18.
Old 18th October 2012, 21:06   #42
BHPian

It's sad to read all these incidences of car abuse by clowns who have no respect for someone else's property. One of my friends own a TATA - Fiat dealerhip and he tells me how the so many of the potential buyers come in and abuse the test cars. Most of them end up pushing brand new linea/punto/etc. to 100 Kph in 3rd gear. Ironically these are the people who wouldn't be able to tell a piston from a crank. But when behind the wheel they turn into schumacher's papa.

I remember when I wanted to sell my Alto a couple of years back, one of the local dealers made the car rev to max in idle. I got so annoyed, I asked him to step away from the car and drove off. Ultimately I sold it to Maruti true value, who at least had a more scientific way to check it.
Old 19th October 2012, 08:01   #43
Senior - BHPian

This example I wish to share is not in the same context. A colleague needed help with his new car purchase. I had to accompany him for the test drive of the Honda Jazz. Now, I am not sure if all dealers do this. When I got in to the drivers seat, the lady gave me a form to fill and sign. It basically said I will be accountable for any damages to the car if something were to happen during the test drive. I asked her, who is going to be accountable if I am injured in the event of someone coming and hitting the car. There was no response. I decided not to take the wheel and have the dealer driver take us for a spin. Later in to the test drive, the lady instructed the driver to take the car on a road with less traffic and I was given the wheel from that point on and back to my work spot. No document signing. During the course of the test drive, I asked the lady why these measures are taken and I had to agree with her. There are a ton of irresponsible folk who call cars home for a test drive and the drive is more of a constant 0-100-0 kinda test. Some are very rash. It is unfortunate and nothing can be done.
Old 19th October 2012, 09:26   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushal21fb View Post
.....One of my friends own a TATA - Fiat dealerhip and he tells me how the so many of the potential buyers come in and abuse the test cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
....It is unfortunate and nothing can be done.
Let us not bring in the TD experience of new cars at dealerships into the ambit of this discussion.

While am not trying to justify the abuse of a new car TD at a Dealership, it is important to note that such an abuse is well factored into while calculating the business risk of the trade. It is a part and parcel of their business operation without which they cannot survive. We cannot expect ever dealer to conduct a driving skills workshop before allowing a prospective buyer to TD.

Moreover the dealer has all the resources at his disposal that are necessary to indemnify himself from the losses arising out of such routine wear and tear.

Why talk about prospective buyers abusing the new cars at the dealership? Have you ever noticed the way their paid employees handle brand new cars and cars that undergo scheduled maintenance at dealerships? Absolutely never wracking experience.

What Arunu, the thread starter had to undergo is really unfortunate and painful. And the act of those potential buyers is unpardonable. Trying to draw a parallel between TD at Dealership and the instant case would be totally out of context. Period.

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 19th October 2012 at 09:29.
Old 19th October 2012, 12:44   #45
Senior - BHPian

On a slightly different perspective, of we buying the car from a dealer.

The incidents stated above are the sole reason why I always try to out in the 'used car' thread, to add ~20k extra from your negotiating amount if you really like the car.
Because, for that 20k, if you leave the car there in the hope of the dealer returning the call after couple of days, even if you might get the call, the car would have been abused by some more people in that duration.
So if you drive, and like it after all the inspections, be ready to factor in a little more amount to save the car from further distress.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks