Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2012, 07:22   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Carjinn.com - Accident Cars for Sale in India

The repair costs seem conservative and unrealistic. The prices (auction), are astronomical for totalled cars. The only good part is you get a wide range of engines from cars that have side or rear impacts. These cars make up good candidates for picking an engine for your next mod project.
moralfibre is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2012, 07:57   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BMW X1 -The estimated repair cost is 3.00 Lacs. I do not know what kind of repair costs are prevalent in the luxury segment
My friend paid close to 1.5L in repair, repaint and restoration of Bumper and Hood of this car. No other damage to any other structural part. No Air bag deployment etc. In simple terms you could have driven the car another 100000kms without doing any repair.

3L is just a joke for the damage we see here. That kind of damage would cost 3L in an Alto if not Swift.
Old 15th October 2012, 11:54   #18
BHPian

Rather than selling accidental vehicles, which are declared total loss by insurance companies wouldn't it be better for them to sell individual undamaged parts of such vehicles.
Old 15th October 2012, 12:17   #19
Senior - BHPian

I would not touch any of these vehicles, the damage seems quiet massive just by looking and there is serious threat to safety features on the car.

Legally, once the insurance company pays for total loss, how can they allow such cars back on the road? Or do they allow after doing only third party cover and not comprehensive?
Old 15th October 2012, 16:06   #20
BHPian

Weird. This thread was started yesterday and website is down today.

Something is wrong somewhere for sure.
Old 15th October 2012, 16:39   #21
Senior - BHPian

I agree that it doesnt make sense to buy a vehicle involved in an accident unless one is saving a substantial amount after the repairs are done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
Weird. This thread was started yesterday and website is down today. Something is wrong somewhere for sure.
Perhaps they are rejigging the Jinn business model based on our recommendations, and a post by one of their friends here? Edit: or their servers could not cope with the sudden increase in visitor traffic?
Hope to see it gets back online soon.

Last edited by selfdrive : 15th October 2012 at 16:41.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2012, 16:50   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
I would not touch any of these vehicles, allow such cars back on the road? Or do they allow after doing only third party cover and not comprehensive?
[] Insurance companies are not the final arbiters of road worthiness of vehicles. That is the domain of RT authorities.

[] Vehicles can be made road worthy even after severe accidents causing structural damage to some portion. That involves a cost. The problem with these people is they are substituting repair estimates for asking prices and vice-versa. Only that can explain the numbers they are displaying for asking price and estimated repair cost.

[] I personally have been involved in a venture where we refurbished a couple of total loss trucks. Modern cars on the other hand are technologically very advanced and probability of getting them repaired outside the A.S.S. network of the auto companies is very low. You need a supply source for spares and a very competent garage to handle the task. Even if one is able to manage it, the costs are very high and these selling prices for accidental cars are so ridiculously high that they render the whole exercise pointless.
Old 15th October 2012, 17:25   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
Weird. This thread was started yesterday and website is down today.

Something is wrong somewhere for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Perhaps they are rejigging the Jinn business model based on our recommendations, and a post by one of their friends here? Edit: or their servers could not cope with the sudden increase in visitor traffic?
Hope to see it gets back online soon.
Well I can still access the website. Looks like it had gone offline just for a certain period of time. I can see a couple of new mercs added to their inventory.

Btw, this C Class has had considerable damage to the front, both airbags have deployed and maybe some other mechanical stuff might have been damaged. And the estimate is just 30,000 which is surely impossible. Even in a Wagonr the airbags would cost more than 30-40k. Plus, the headlight, bumper etc would cost even more. http://www.carjinn.com/RefurbishedCarOne.aspx?id=259

Looking at the estimates for all the cars it seems they are writing just 1/10th of the real estimate on the website!
Old 15th October 2012, 18:04   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

There are buyers of such cars. For example is a shabby garage just opposite where I stay. This fellow is a hot favourite among Taxi Drivers and those who want to get body work at a very cheap rate. Dont ask about the quality though. It is not so good but average.

From the past one year of staying here, every month, a totalled car arrives here, in a non driveable state and these people make it looking as good as new and sell it off. Not sure whether the owner knows about the previous condition or not. The mechanics here work on all kinds of cars right from a Nano to an Accord. Recently a tavera came here. It had rolled over and all the pillars connecting the roof had failed. The car was like a convertible. But somehow, with the crudest tools and procedures, they have it running and the same car was brought by a neighbour, who is obviously aware of the previous state of the car.

Websites like these are catering such garages who can buy cars at scrap rate and then sell it to people at an 'attractive' rate after refurbishing them. This - http://www.carjinn.com/RefurbishedCarOne.aspx?id=237 is one such car I can think of which can be refurbished and then sold.
Old 15th October 2012, 18:11   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
Rather than selling accidental vehicles, which are declared total loss by insurance companies wouldn't it be better for them to sell individual undamaged parts of such vehicles.
This would indeed make sense, to disassemble the car and list only accident-unaffected parts (at pretty low rate), scrap the rest.
I bet, they will make more business in this way rather than diluting repairing quotes to be unrealistically low and then trying to sell the whole vehicle.
iSpoke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2012, 18:21   #26
BHPian

My concern is - If any car dealer buys a Fortuner from here, for say 12 lacs, spends 2-3 lacs and does it up. Does up the papers.

And then sells it to you and me, how will we know any better.
Old 15th October 2012, 21:29   #27
BHPian

I don't think it makes sense buying a badly crashed car. If it would be easy and cheap to repair, the owner themselves would have done it. Unless they have too much money lying around.

But I think this is a great think for people looking for "donor cars" for restoration or their own repairs like a single door or bonnet is required. Or certain parts, like the engine etc. If somebody wants to swap the engine (like people put baleno engine in swift/zen/gypsy)

But buying a to repair and use everyday. Bad choice!
Old 15th October 2012, 22:00   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpingheart
But I think this is a great think for people looking for "donor cars" for restoration or their own repairs like a single door or bonnet is required. Or certain parts, like the engine etc. If somebody wants to swap the engine (like people put baleno engine in swift/zen/gypsy
Even then the rates are exorbitant. I would rather source new engine / other parts from the A$$ for a lesser quote than spending a fortune on this.

These cars actually make sense only for people with a garage. One question - why these vehicles have no insurance?

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 15th October 2012 at 22:01.
Old 15th October 2012, 22:09   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Even then the rates are exorbitant. I would rather source new engine / other parts from the A$$ for a lesser quote than spending a fortune on this.

These cars actually make sense only for people with a garage. One question - why these vehicles have no insurance?
IMHO-they dont have any insurance,that is why they end up here
Old 15th October 2012, 22:30   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587
IMHO-they dont have any insurance,that is why they end up here
All these cars would have had insurance at the time of accident right? What happens to that insurance?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks