Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2013, 07:57   #331
BHPian

Re: VW Polo 1.6L GT TDI coming EDIT: Now launched

This is too tempting move by VW. It is far better to own this 1.6 TDI than the underpowered 1.2 TDI even though it gives lesser mileage and higher price. But, If they want to be more successful in this field, IMO, they should consider 1.4 TDI 4 Cylinder engine with competitive price with all the features in the rival models say for example, Hyundai i20 Asta CRDI.
Old 14th September 2013, 08:04   #332
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildy View Post
IMO, they should consider 1.4 TDI 4 Cylinder engine with competitive price with all the features in the rival models say for example, Hyundai i20 Asta CRDI.
With all features from i20 Asta plus a 1.4 TDI, expect price to be in Vento category.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2013, 08:17   #333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
With all features from i20 Asta plus a 1.4 TDI, expect price to be in Vento category.
Any engine less than 1.5L will save VW at least 15% in excise duty and that is a lot of money. So, I would say there will be enough buffer.

And main reason why the GT TDi @ 8L is such a tempting proposition.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2013, 09:33   #334
Distinguished - BHPian

The 1.2 TDI is already nose heavy and crashes over tall speedbreakers plus suffers from a lot of understeer on the stock 14 inch tyres.

Hope they have significantly beefed up the front suspension! With the extra torque and weight over the front wheels, it will be needed big time.

Last edited by itwasntme : 14th September 2013 at 09:36.
Old 14th September 2013, 17:28   #335
Team-BHP Support

Took a test drive a while back with my room-mate and 2 sales guys at the showroom. Mind = blown!

The good things:
- There is a noticeable turbo lag upto 2000 rpm. And then suddenly the turbo kicks in and felt as if we pressed the NOS for an instant!
- The engine seemed rev happy going all the way up to 5000 rpm without issues. Idles at 900 rpm in the first gear with no vibrations felt in the cabin.
- Massive low-end torque! Without downshifting much, I was able to zoom past some of those crawling cars on the highway.
- Gear shifts were seamless, much much better than the Dzire VXi we have at home.
- Amazing plastics inside the car. No rattling of any parts observed at higher speeds.
- Driver seat is height adjustable = blessing! No lumbar adjustments though.Good upholstery with dual black-beige combination. Seats felt comfy.
- Doors auto lock around 25 kmph.
- An audible warning when the speedo touches 130 kmph.
- Good NVH for a diesel engine! The bonnet has a dampening provided.
- Good boot space for a hatch. The rear seats could have been shifted by a notch backwards for a better legroom for the rear passengers.
- The horn is the classic European horn. A very meek 'peep'. A Roots/Hella horn may be in order.
- Stalks are interchanged. Left is for directions and right is for wiper controls. I kept turning on the wiper each time I took a turn! Might take some time to get used to.
- Spare wheel is an alloy = yay!

The bad things:
- No warnings on the MID or audible indications for the seat-belts! Sorely missed. Most basic cars have this safety feature.
- No dead pedal.
- No arm rest for the driver or the rear passengers. Will have to fix one in the front.
- Useless interior rear-view mirror. The only thing visible through the mirror was the gap between the rear headrests. An aftermarket fitment seems to be a necessity here.
- Rear wiper doesn't get a washer. Not a biggie!
- Apollo Acelere 185/60 R15 tyres (even the Vento gets the same set and from the same OEM). The Jetta and Passat parked on the showrooms had Goodyear and Pirelli rubbers on them! VW should have at least opted for MRF IMO.

Paid the booking amount. OTR price at Surat comes to 9.31L including a bumper-to-bumper insurance. I asked the dealer to cancel the accessories worth 5k (those were a Teflon coating, a small Ganesha idol for the dashboard, a fragrance, rubber mats and mudflaps).

Tentative delivery in a fortnight's time.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 14th September 2013 at 20:49. Reason: Mention of speeding on the highway removed. Please refrain + Edit : Disadv Point added as per request.
Gannu_1 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th September 2013, 18:34   #336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Took a test drive a while back with my room-mate and 2 sales guys at the showroom. Mind = blown!

The good things:
- There is a noticeable turbo lag upto 2000 rpm. And then suddenly the turbo kicks in and felt as if we pressed the NOS for an instant!
They've taken the engine from the Vento and put in the Polo. No changes in the torque delivery, the noticable turbo lag is there even in the Vento. Wish they had tuned it a bit and removed the initial turbo lag. It's named as a 'GT', VW you could've adjusted the intial turbo lag a bit.
Old 14th September 2013, 19:02   #337
BHPian

Guys,
Does the GT Tdi come with a variable geometric turbo? And is it worth waiting till May 2014 and get the new engine? As this looks more like vw is pushing the 1.6 engines by plonking it in the polo as well.
Will the new engine be less powerful, less expensive or more features as there will be a considerable saving in excersice duty.
Old 14th September 2013, 19:24   #338
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyasachetan View Post
Guys,
Does the GT Tdi come with a variable geometric turbo? And is it worth waiting till May 2014 and get the new engine? As this looks more like vw is pushing the 1.6 engines by plonking it in the polo as well.
Will the new engine be less powerful, less expensive or more features as there will be a considerable saving in excersice duty.
Yes it is a VGT.

VW’s 1.5 diesel, which is essentially a downsized version of the Vento’s EA189 1.6 TDI motor will make its debut in the VW Polo face-lift (expected May 2014)
The 1.5 TDI engine will come with two power outputs 66kw (89bhp) and 77kw (104bhp). This new engine is eligible for the lower excise tax bracket for small cars.

The 1.6 TDI @105hp@ 4400 RPM.

Cheers!

Last edited by volkman10 : 14th September 2013 at 19:26.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2013, 20:36   #339
BHPian

Does it have a light in the boot ? None of the Polo versions had boot lights .
Old 14th September 2013, 20:44   #340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swathyd View Post
Nope. No boot light in the GT's. No idea regarding the regular Polo highline.
Old 14th September 2013, 20:45   #341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swathyd View Post
No it still doesn't. I expect the 2014 GT TDI to be more loaded since they'll save considerable amounts on excise.

Quote:
Guys,
If you are in no hurry, I suggest you wait. From ACI's news the 1.5 is expected to have the exact same specs as today's 1.6 tdi and may better it in terms of refinement,the car may also offer more features with the considerable savings on excise.

Last edited by shashank.nk : 14th September 2013 at 20:58.
shashank.nk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2013, 22:06   #342
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,
is it worth waiting till May 2014 and get the new engine? As this looks more like vw is pushing the 1.6 engines by plonking it in the polo as well.
IMHO if someone is looking for Polo then it doesn't make sense to wait for one more year just for newer facelifted version with different engine, these are few reasons to back my statement:

1. Polo has now got all the engine options which it deserved.

2. GTD has got tried and tested 1.6 TDI heart which has already been doing the job in the Vento since long time.

3. 1.5 TDI will be similar or downgraded version of the current 1.6 TDI so there is no significant gain in terms of power-performance after waiting for it.

4. 2014 version will be more or less just a facelift, not a fully revamped car. Polo will be due for a next generation model after this facelifted version.

5. If one decides to wait for the facelifted 2014 version then there will be hardly 2 or maximum 3 years to enjoy that version because the completely new model will be due after that period. So a lesser period to enjoy an ongoing model. But the enjoyable period with the current model will be increased by one year in case if one buys the Polo right now.

6. If you decide to wait just because there are talks about the new model (which is not really a new model) then you may end up keep waiting because when new facelifted model will arrive, the talks about next generation model will start up. How long will you wait?

7. Rumors are rumors untill the car really hits the market. Who know if VW decides to save the 1.5 TDI for the next generation Polo after few months.

So if your heart is calling for Polo then go for it now, it has got everything which it lacked earlier - aka the powerful engine options.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 14th September 2013 at 22:13.
tbppjpr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th September 2013, 04:08   #343
BHPian

VW is trying to slowly make the indian buyer comfortable paying 9-10 lacs for a hatchback by showing him value. This seems to be their intention since both the petrol and the diesel are sold at similar price points but with different set of features.
Old 15th September 2013, 08:26   #344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
IMHO if someone is looking for Polo then it doesn't make sense to wait for one more year just for newer facelifted version with different engine, these are few reasons to back my statement:

1. Polo has now got all the engine options which it deserved.

2. GTD has got tried and tested 1.6 TDI heart which has already been doing the job in the Vento since long time.

3. 1.5 TDI will be similar or downgraded version of the current 1.6 TDI so there is no significant gain in terms of power-performance after waiting for it.

4. 2014 version will be more or less just a facelift, not a fully revamped car. Polo will be due for a next generation model after this facelifted version.

5. If one decides to wait for the facelifted 2014 version then there will be hardly 2 or maximum 3 years to enjoy that version because the completely new model will be due after that period. So a lesser period to enjoy an ongoing model. But the enjoyable period with the current model will be increased by one year in case if one buys the Polo right now.

6. If you decide to wait just because there are talks about the new model (which is not really a new model) then you may end up keep waiting because when new facelifted model will arrive, the talks about next generation model will start up. How long will you wait?

7. Rumors are rumors untill the car really hits the market. Who know if VW decides to save the 1.5 TDI for the next generation Polo after few months.

So if your heart is calling for Polo then go for it now, it has got everything which it lacked earlier - aka the powerful engine options.

I agree with your point only thing is that if that rumour come true then in less than 8 months this will become a pre face lift and faced out engine car. That's my only worry inspite of paying 10 lakhs for a hatch.

I am really tempted with the TSI but not sure what will be the difference in mileage in Bangalore traffic on a daily basis if driven hard.
Old 15th September 2013, 08:41   #345
Senior - BHPian

Checked out the GT TDI yesterday. Couldn't drive as their Demo car is not registered due to Onam.

I love the interiors. The touch and feel of plastics inside and the upholstery is very nice. The engine room is also nice. Nicely laid out and very clean without too many wires or tubes. Din't like the rear bench though! Width wise, it is just too short to be comfortable. The rear leg room is also poor. To compare, the Swift is better at the rear for passengers. But the boot is big! Think VW should have given more prominence to the cabin.

The car is approx. 9.4L on the road here in KL. Inclusive of VW full cover insurance at 40K and handling/ logistics charge of 8K. Apparently their GT TSI demo car is totaled and they are not able to cope with the demand here in Kochi due to supply constraints. The GT TSI is also around the same price on road.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks