Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2006, 10:30   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat
You mean to say Subaru Forester which is a bigger brand Than Chevy Forester would have sold more numbers than what it sold here ?

If some one is that much aware that there exists a brand called Subaru forester he would have bought it irrespective of whether its badged as a Chevy or a Subaru.
Subaru is not a bigger brand , but it is more apt for forester.
Old 11th May 2006, 10:35   #32
BHPian

Hi Maxbhp ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbhp
I am reapeating my view point. The main theme is not rebadging its about GM stratergy .
And technocrat , what would you buy Proton lancer or Mitsubishi Lancer . What I mean is if they had launced the car as Subaru , it would have been more apt since the rally pedigree of Subaru is truly known worldwide. Whatever you say , it was very wrong of them coz it was the right product for introduction of Subaru. I am not saying it would have sold more all I mean to insist is that rebadging Kalos to Aveo Chevy makes sense cause Daewoo is not well recognised in this coutry. The same thing cannot be said about Subaru . Chevy worked with optra coz that is really a world class car. Same thing cannot be said about Tavera and Aveo .
With Optra they were right . But Tavera not sure coz of late timing. Aveo .......not sure at all . Marketing is a very crucial Part of any product . If they had launced Subaru Forester like how safari is being projected by the media it would have sold much more , coz its really such a car unlike Safari . Remember the Ad of Safari Petrol ? that jumpimg scene ? After such an act , do you think safari will be able to do that again .
----------------------------------------------------------------------

As Technocrat has correctly reiterated the fact that GM doesnt want to confuse the Indian public and thats all. Remember that GM had to do marketing for OPEL and CHEVROLET brands seperately.

If you are a Subaru fan we are not taking away your pride or passion for Forester but what we are simply stating is that GM India's move is right in rebadging bcoz they cant badge a car with GM tag ( i mean GM optra, GM aveo etc).

So GM India's approach is right however GM international is not correct in rebadging different cars with different brands across the globe - eg - its Opel Corsa in India and in South Africa its called Chevrolet Corsa which is a wrong approach.
Old 11th May 2006, 10:48   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by namit
So GM India's approach is right however GM international is not correct in rebadging different cars with different brands across the globe - eg - its Opel Corsa in India and in South Africa its called Chevrolet Corsa which is a wrong approach.
Hello Namit .
I am a WRC fan but my true passion is for BMW , I like Subaru thats it .OPel corsa - Chevrolet Corsa is same as Subaru Forester - Chevrolet Forester. You are contradicting your own statement Namit. What I mean is certain brands have certian meaning. Like a BMW for being driver centric , Mercedes Benz for being passenger focused . in the same respect Subaru is something like a true rally car. Rock had suspension , awesome ride very direct steering all contemplating the essence of a rally car . Now Forrester was planned only as a CKD . Never sold more that 100 cars a month . Many of the customers who has bought the car knows its really a Subaru , thats the kind of value it has. Now what about the rest of the crowd ? GM could have capitalised on its Value to market the car. Instead it was marketed as a Family car like RS Combi. Thats all I mean to say Namit.

THIS IS THE BEST FORUM I HAVE EVER VISITED >>>>SHOULD HAVE JOINED EARLIER . ......GUYS IN HERE REALLY ROCK !
Old 11th May 2006, 10:56   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am reapeating my view point. The main theme is not rebadging its about GM stratergy .
Your very first post talks about nothing but Rebadging.
Or are you talking about some other Startegy of GM, in that case I am sorry can you please tell me which other startegy (i.e. other than rebadging) have you talked about ??

Proton heck no how many people have even heard about that name but Yes if it was some other more known brand like Chevy or Crysler as long as it was a Lancer.
Besides there's more to it each brand has its associated brand value & teh vehicles sell as per the image irrespective of how good the car is, I will give you some examples:

Opel did not turn out to be a good brand, else how would you justify the low volumes for a great car like Corsa ?
Also MUL can never launch a premium big car, we all know what happened with Baleno(when launched) & the Grand Vitara.
Even a car liek Optra would have been a failure if it was lunched by Suzuki in India under the Maruti badge.

Quote:
Aveo Chevy makes sense cause Daewoo is not well recognised in this coutry.
Not recognised??? I am sure you mean not well perceived or trusted.

Quote:
Remember the Ad of Safari Petrol ? that jumpimg scene ? After such an act , do you think safari will be able to do that again .
They have done better with the Dicor advert & yes the Safari jumps again in this advert

Quote:
THIS IS THE BEST FORUM I HAVE EVER VISITED >>>>SHOULD HAVE JOINED EARLIER . ......GUYS IN HERE REALLY ROCK !
Whats with the attitude ??

Last edited by Technocrat : 11th May 2006 at 11:01.
Old 11th May 2006, 11:05   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Your very first post talks about nothing but Rebadging.
Or are you talking about some other Startegy of GM, in that case I am sorry can you please tell me which other startegy (i.e. other than rebadging) have you talked about ??

Proton heck no how many people have even heard about that name but Yes if it was some other more known brand like Chevy or Crysler as long as it was a Lancer.
Besides there's more to it each brand has its associated brand value & teh vehicles sell as per the image irrespective of how good the car is, I will give you some examples:

Opel did not turn out to be a good brand, else how would you justify the low volumes for a great car like Corsa ?
Also MUL can never launch a premium big car, we all know what happened with Baleno(when launched) & the Grand Vitara.
Even a car liek Optra would have been a failure if it was lunched by Suzuki in India under the Maruti badge.

Not recognised??? I am sure you mean not well perceived or trusted.

They have done better with the Dicor advert & yes the Safari jumps again in this advert
My First Post

Do you think it was right to brand Daweoo Nubira and Isuzu Panther and soon to be launched Daewoo Matiz as Chevrolet ? Do you think its a plan well thought ?
One thing is always there with GM , they always are late in their launch be in Aveo or Optra or Tavera . For Tavera they had a mission , to localise the contents to the Maximum so that it can be priced below Qualis . They did acheive that but only problem was that by the time it was launched Toyota decided to play game of "catch me if you can " . And due to Toyota's massive cash reserve launching a car , if I remember qualis was doing 3000+ units when it was taken out of the line up , GM simply couldnt match to its rivals .
I dont think it was early enough with the aveo either . By that time Ford had already sold arounf 10000+ units . The problem is not cash constrain coz in the end they always launch the car , i guess its poor planning.
Imagine , Optra is selling around 700 units a month . People are prefering diesels now adays be it North south east or west. When they have 2.2lit Crdi , what are they waiting for ? Imagine if they launch it in Mid 2007 , do you think people are going to gun for it ? I dont think so coz by that time its shape would be outdated and compared to latest gen Crdi 2.2 litre unit is no great .
Its okay to see bad cars not selling well, but when you see cars like OPtra , Fiat Palio not doing well u feel like killing those top level mangers. I am excluding Hyundai Elantra and Sonata Embrera coz they are doing extremely well with their note countinf machine (Santro) . For Gm Aveo was supposed to do that job , butI doubt it will sell more than 900 units .
Rebadging worked for Optra , I mean most people wasnt aware of it , but with aveo they seem to have lost ideas. All they are interested is rebadging a cheap car into a more expensive one.

THINK GM THINK , first u badged our beloved Subaru into Chevrolet ......
please think better.......or else you will be needing return tickets soon

Now the last paragraph is a deviation

Quote:
Opel is a very well know brand long before manufacturing started in this country if you are not sure ask your parents , about the prominent cars used by rich in the 60's.Opel failed only coz of its inability localise parts and hence hight maintenence cost . And if you have travelled in Opel Astra, can you suggest a car that can equal its back seat comfort or interior quality or its sheer build quality ?

Quote:
Safari is a great vehicle for highway travel , great to look at . Now you gotta stop right there !!!!!! Its not meant for thrashing, ask any previous safari owner . Its build quality not suited for a 4*4. Scorpio can do way better than Safari.

Last edited by maxbhp : 11th May 2006 at 11:18.
Old 11th May 2006, 13:37   #36
Senior - BHPian

I said Opel did not turn out to be agood brand despite good cars, I didnt say it was bad brand & yes the reasons you gave are the same I have :-)

Ok So now from what is see from your underlined comments, the other issues which you have pointed in GM are:

1) They are reactive than proactive in launching vehicles

Examples being:

- Late launch of Tavera wrt to Qualis
- Again launched Aveo after Fiesta
- Inability to yet come out with a good diesel option preferably CRDi or even a Turbo Petro/Diesel while the competition has already started doing it.

Yes I agree with you here, they will have to be proactive than reactive in launching models\variants to earn some respect from the Auto Enthusiats

Did I miss any other point?
Old 11th May 2006, 15:12   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I said Opel did not turn out to be agood brand despite good cars, I didnt say it was bad brand & yes the reasons you gave are the same I have :-)

Ok So now from what is see from your underlined comments, the other issues which you have pointed in GM are:

1) They are reactive than proactive in launching vehicles

Examples being:

- Late launch of Tavera wrt to Qualis
- Again launched Aveo after Fiesta
- Inability to yet come out with a good diesel option preferably CRDi or even a Turbo Petro/Diesel while the competition has already started doing it.

Yes I agree with you here, they will have to be proactive than reactive in launching models\variants to earn some respect from the Auto Enthusiats

Did I miss any other point?
Exactly Technocrat . If only manufacturers had appointed someone to check these kind of forums from time to time they really would have got some real good feedbacks . And I feel very sad for soon to be launcehd optra 2.2li Crdi coz by then most probably 1593 crdi of the Hyundai will be out and beating that 69 bhp / litre diesel is gonna be tough not that its gonna be in the same class ...... Hope its going to be smooth as Fiesta's 1.4 Duratorque....that will earn some respect.

Thank You for your feedback on my views.
Old 24th January 2007, 08:57   #38
Senior - BHPian

• GM is simply not able to bring out what Indian public actually wants ! Whats the reason for it ? Chevrolet U-VA looks like another 1500-900-500-200. I feel they should used this effort into launching Spark with al the fireworks since it has a good probablity of winning Indians heart.By the way " Ripleys believe it or not " has a new one , Chevrolet U-VA , small car of the year !
Soon to be launched diesel optra may do well provided they do the pricing right . I feel the upcoming Elantra may be bang on the Optra diesel territory . Atleast this time hope they release it sooner than Elantra, or are they waiting for them to make the first move ?

Last edited by maxbhp : 24th January 2007 at 09:00.
Old 24th February 2007, 14:51   #39
Senior - BHPian

GM India sales up by 46% in January 2007

General Motors India has registered a 46% growth in sales in January 2007 as compared to the corresponding period last year. It sold 3776 units in January as against 2592 units during the corresponding period last year. The January 2007 sales comprise of 2111 units of Chevrolet Tavera, 1421 units of Chevrolet Aveo / U-VA and 244 units of Chevrolet Optra.

Upbeat about the impressive growth, Mr. P. Balendran, Vice President, GM India said "We are delighted with the overwhelming customer response to our newly launched Chevrolet Aveo U-VA. It clearly vindicates the faith and reliability that our customers have reposed in our products and services”.

Source:
Moneycontrol India :: News :: GM India sales up by 46% in January 2007 :: :: Press- News :: General Motors India ,sales,Chevrolet Tavera,Chevrolet Aveo,Chevrolet Optra,P. Balendran,Aveo sedan ,General Motors Corporation,Halol,
Old 24th February 2007, 15:16   #40
Senior - BHPian

Aveo looks good . It suits indian liking big car feel for small car price but I doubt this one's sucess in the long run unless they bring in some better tranny's . 1411/2 considering even distribution for UVA and aveo(unlikely) is not good . Even palio did 2000+ 'once upon a time' . Even UV-A can do better with a JTD (1.3).
Old 24th February 2007, 16:23   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbhp View Post
Safari is a great vehicle for highway travel , great to look at . Now you gotta stop right there !!!!!! Its not meant for thrashing, ask any previous safari owner . Its build quality not suited for a 4*4. Scorpio can do way better than Safari.

OFF TOPIC, but max you seem to have the wrong understanding. We can talk about this offline...
Old 27th February 2007, 12:37   #42
Senior - BHPian

GM India and its new products received following awards:

Car Manufacturer of the Year by Overdrive
Car Manufacturer of the Year by NDTV Profit Car & Bike
India’s 100 Most Valuable Brands - 2006 by 4Ps Brand & Marketing
Marketing Team of the Year by CNB - AAA
PR and Communications Team of the Year by CNB - AAA
Car of the Year 2007 for the Chevrolet Aveo U-VA by BS Motoring
Small Car of the Year for the Chevrolet Aveo U-VA by NDTV Profit Car & Bike
Number 1 Car in Build and Ride Quality for the Chevrolet Optra by Overdrive
Power Brand 2006 for GM India by 4Ps

Source:
agencyfaqs! > news & features > company news > GM India on a Roll - Bags Nine Industry Awards
Old 27th February 2007, 13:06   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad View Post
i hope that award was not for the Aveo ad.
Last thing anyone would want is being further tortured by these...!!
Old 27th February 2007, 13:23   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad View Post

Car Manufacturer of the Year by Overdrive
Car Manufacturer of the Year by NDTV Profit Car & Bike
India’s 100 Most Valuable Brands - 2006 by 4Ps Brand & Marketing
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha that's some of the funniest story telling I've seen in a long time Wonder why still their products are not setting the Sales charts on fire!!!!
Old 27th February 2007, 13:31   #45
Team-BHP Support

GM suffered from the opel ghost. High spare parts costs. Many Opel Astra owners did not become Optra owners because they remembered how much the astra costed to maintain.

To counter this GM is now trying to woo customers with 3-4 year service contracts which cover all part replacements, services etc., etc., at a low price of 7-8K/year. I think this includes consumables too, except for tyres and battery.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks