Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2013, 13:10   #1
Senior - BHPian

Honda rumored to bring the 9th Gen Civic to India

Oncars.in reports that Honda has plans to replace the current model by the end of 2013.

Quote:
Our reliable sources close to Honda Cars India have revealed that the carmaker has begun testing the new Civic sedan for the Indian market. Contrary to reports that the Civic lineage will be removed from India for good, it seems that Honda will continue to offer its executive sedan brand in the market. It is no news that the rising cost of petrol has hampered the sales of most Honda cars in India – but despite the dent, Honda has planned to bring the all-new CR-V to India as well. The new Civic will follow suit .

The all-new Civic sedan was launched in the United States in 2011 but went back for an immediate redesign for 2013 due to the criticism it got for its design & ride and the resultant, lukewarm market response. The Asian model though, which is largely similar to original US-spec Civic sedan, hasn’t seen any redesign or recall. It is the same model that has begun testing in India.

The Civic being tested in India uses a 1.8-litre, four-cylinder petrol engine that puts out more than 140 PS of power and will be sold in manual as well as automatic versions. The US market does get a 2.2-litre i-DTEC diesel engine and the European Civic hatch gets a 1.6-litre oiler – which is essentially the same mill that is the basis of the 1.5-litre i-DTEC oil burner that will power the upcoming Honda Amaze sedan. That has us hoping that the new Civic sedan that is being planned for India will get a diesel engine in the due course of its lifecycle.

Honda Cars India clearly has a big year ahead of itself with the Amaze slated to come in a few months from now, followed by the all-new CR-V. We also expect the new Civic to be launched in 2013 itself. Stay tuned as we dig further into this matter – meanwhile, keep your eyes open for the Civic test mules and send the spy shots if you manage to catch it on camera!
The Asian model though, which is largely similar to original US-spec Civic sedan, hasn’t seen any redesign or recall. It is the same model that has begun testing in India.
Will be bit disappointed if this is the case.

Source: http://www.oncars.in/Car-News-Detail...-in-India/3498

Our discussion on the 9th Gen:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...nda-civic.html

Discussion on the fate of the Civic model in India:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...off-india.html

Last edited by sarathlal : 17th January 2013 at 13:29.
sarathlal is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th January 2013, 14:40   #2
BHPian

Re: Honda rumored to bring the 9th Gen Civic to India

Without the dTEC mill it would be a non-starter especially with the diesel-at-heart Indians. After all when the days of true petrol head are numbered, why would Honda even think of doing this.

No offense meant, Civic is a stonker to drive but the timing may not be right.

On the brighter though, this is wonderful news for pre-worshiped lovers.
Old 17th January 2013, 14:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
Without the dTEC mill it would be a non-starter especially with the diesel-at-heart Indians. After all when the days of true petrol head are numbered, why would Honda even think of doing this.

Do you really think the diesel advantage would hold good an year from now? I seriously doubt. This is also probably why Honda may have decided to persist with the Civic without the oil burner.
If the both petrol & diesel are eventually sold at their market prices, i dont see why would anyone really opt for a diesel. I've already started reading news items that mention car companies quoting the sales of diesel vs. petrol changing from 85:15 to 80:20 or something.
Old 17th January 2013, 15:23   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
Do you really think the diesel advantage would hold good an year from now? I seriously doubt. This is also probably why Honda may have decided to persist with the Civic without the oil burner.
If the both petrol & diesel are eventually sold at their market prices, i dont see why would anyone really opt for a diesel.

I don't think the gap between the diesel and petrol will fill in so quickly. It would eventually but not soon enough. But then its a never ending debate.

Honestly with Amaze coming in with the oil burner, and Honda focusing on that, Civic is unlike to generate any volumes. With so many and very capable oil burners in the 15-18L segment, why would you buy a petrol Civic. Even for a petrol head you have the Skoda VRS (superior suspension / handling) to satisfy the urge.
Old 17th January 2013, 15:30   #5
BHPian

With Civic selling in nearly two digit numbers per month, this is not at all encouraging news for any Honda/ Civic lover. Top that with a ho-hum design, this is a no-brainer!!

Quote:

Completely agree with you! Now we'll start observing a number of Civics being held out for sale due to fear of crashing prices and the presence of a newer model in the market.

Perfect time for people looking out for a pre-owned D-segment sedan, to get this dame for quite cheap and have a worthy ownership experience
MetalBuff is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2013, 15:38   #6
Senior - BHPian

The new Civic isn't really a standout among the D segment offerings today, in terms of looks, tech or comfort. Honda lost the plot with the new version, a new headlamp cluster and dashboard aren't exactly what customers expect in replacement.

A diesel might sell, but a petrol will find it tough now that D segment owners are used to good fuel economy of diesels. This will be sold in India because the old kits will run out at some point.
Old 17th January 2013, 15:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

Im pleasantly surprised to see 'Honda India' take a U Turn in respect to the launch of the new Civic in India !! Now the cars already close to finishing 2 years of its 5-6 year life cycle. If India gets it by end of 2013 it will be half way through its life cycle. Also Petrol only will not offer them volume.

Im a Civic owner and will most gladly buy the new one when it arrives here because im so satisfied with the car but will first time buyers follow?

The new US Refreshed model is so much better than the ASEAN one. I really hope we get that one. Pictures attached for reference.

(Image Source-http://allnewhondacivic.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=foreigncivics&action=display&threa d=53)
Attached Thumbnails
Honda rumored to bring the 9th Gen Civic to India-uploadfromtaptalk1353961253315.jpg  

Honda rumored to bring the 9th Gen Civic to India-uploadfromtaptalk1353961263617.jpg  

Honda rumored to bring the 9th Gen Civic to India-2013hondacivicexlnavisedanfrontview.jpg  

Old 17th January 2013, 16:21   #8
BHPian

Bit of a two-edged sword really. While diesel prices are to be rationalized in the future, I'm not sure it is going to happen this year. So assuming with the petrol to diesel parity unlikely to be restored anytime soon, this is a bit of a gamble by Honda. In fact come to think of it, not much different from their current strategy.

I think at the very minimum, the i-DTEC should've gotten a look in - from the word go.
Old 17th January 2013, 17:41   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
Im pleasantly surprised to see 'Honda India' take a U Turn in respect to the launch of the new Civic in India !! Now the cars already close to finishing 2 years of its 5-6 year life cycle. If India gets it by end of 2013 it will be half way through its life cycle. Also Petrol only will not offer them volume.

Im a Civic owner and will most gladly buy the new one when it arrives here because im so satisfied with the car but will first time buyers follow?

The new US Refreshed model is so much better than the ASEAN one. I really hope we get that one. Pictures attached for reference.

(Image Source-http://allnewhondacivic.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=foreigncivics&action=display&threa d=53)
As mentioned in the opening post, we probably might not get the re-designed one .

However, if this what we get, I guess, no one is complaning.

But, is it only me who thinks that this US model has an uncanny resemblance (especially from the rear) to the present generation Accord. Compare this with the existing Civic, which has a totally distinct personality and aura of it's own.

That said, I'd reiterate the US-spec Civic is much better looking that the ASEAN one (I know that's subjective )
Old 17th January 2013, 18:17   #10
BHPian

Just read the news that the govt has started the process of deregulating diesel. This means that the govt will give out a fixed subsidy per litre of diesel but the retailers are free to recover the balance from customers. Given that we spend about 94000 cr INR on diesel subsidy every year, it was about time that something like this came through. I believe that by December this year, diesel prices will cross 60 INR a litre. This could of course change if crude prices came crashing down but then petrol would be cheaper too.

I, personally support the decision. If the government wants to give some sort of subsidy on diesel to farmers, they will be using the cash transfer scheme and use the aadhar card/account to transfer money. This should reduce the burden on us tax payers too. Our money can be put to better use.

The Civic and the laura TSI don't sound too bad now, eh?
Old 18th January 2013, 10:12   #11
Senior - BHPian

This is good news, with Petrol prices going south and Diesel north hopefully this will start the dawn of new era where one sections of buyers arent penalized for the sake of providing subsidy to the rest of the nation.

The car looks cool from whatever is visible on the pics, but would need to see it in flesh and blood.
Old 18th January 2013, 11:17   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't think the gap between the diesel and petrol will fill in so quickly. It would eventually but not soon enough. But then its a never ending debate.
@Arup - Looks like the government is watching our posts!
Old 18th January 2013, 14:24   #13
BANNED

After yesterday, Diesel will be an attractive option but not that essential. It is being rumoured that manufacturers have started reviewing their Diesel plant expansions! The losers may be Mahindra & Tata with no decent petrol options.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2013, 17:52   #14
Senior - BHPian

I Love the civic but after the one we have in India, the new one just seems like a grown up city and that, to me, is just a bit too drab. I'm sure the new civic is better than the one we have in every way imaginable, but I don't think it will be known as the benchmark in looks and technology and sheer wow-factor like the old civic was known for when it first came out (even up until a couple of years ago)
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2013, 08:44   #15
BANNED

I prefer the laid back look. Got a chance toride a XUV500 yesterday. I found the interiors well done but too garish for my taste. Somehow gave me the boy racer feel.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed