Team-BHP - Mahindra testing the Base Variant of Scorpio 4WD Automatic
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Mahindra testing the Base Variant of Scorpio 4WD Automatic (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/131945-mahindra-testing-base-variant-scorpio-4wd-automatic.html)

Motorbeam have uploaded the scoop images of base variant 4WD Automatic Scorpio (see below image):

Mahindra testing the Base Variant of Scorpio 4WD Automatic-mahindrascorpio4wdautomaticrear.jpg

More details here:

http://www.motorbeam.com/cars/mahind...matic-scorpio/

IT seems that Mahindra have decided to go for the kill post the launch of Safari Storme & is not willing to concede any grounds to Tata to recover or regain lost ground. Moreover, this should be effective (being a ladder frame 4WD) to fend off poser 4WDs expected soon from Renault/ Nissan & Ford.

Hopefully it brings out the best in quality & products from both.

It will be interesting to see from where they got this 6 speed AT, any idea if it is the same old one?

Spike

Such changes are welcome. If the competition has some sensible think tanks, they make sure they have some counter attack ready all the time. Mahindra has proved they have such ones in their army. TATA -> the game is ON you!

Recently there was news about Mahindra parting ways with the vendor who supplies automatic gear-boxes. The news also went on to say that production of Automatic Scorpio is stopped. If this news is true, how can Mahindra introduce new automatic models?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinojohnt (Post 3028966)
Recently there was news about Mahindra parting ways with the vendor who supplies automatic gear-boxes. The news also went on to say that production of Automatic Scorpio is stopped. If this news is true, how can Mahindra introduce new automatic models?

+1 , here is that thread that said the same :-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...n-stopped.html

Also what is the point of manufacturing the base variant of the scorpio with an automatic box and than plonking a 4x4 on to it?

The way i see it, adding an automatic box on the base variant would reach out to a larger audience who want an automatic car/suv but due to the limited options and the pricing cant afford one. However adding a 4x4 to it would only jack up the price and hence would defeat the whole point of it being an entry level automatic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enigmatic (Post 3029002)
...Also what is the point of manufacturing the base variant of the scorpio with an automatic box and than plonking a 4x4 on to it?

The way i see it, adding an automatic box on the base variant would reach out to a larger audience who want an automatic car/suv but due to the limited options and the pricing cant afford one. However adding a 4x4 to it would only jack up the price and hence would defeat the whole point of it being an entry level automatic.

What if there are more variants in the offing? As you said, if Scorpio needs to appeal to a wider audience, it shall have a 4 WD also available, without Auto.
Hope we have another base with 4 WD alone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by swiftnfurious (Post 3029036)
What if there are more variants in the offing? As you said, if Scorpio needs to appeal to a wider audience, it shall have a 4 WD also available, without Auto.
Hope we have another base with 4 WD alone.

Hey swiftnfurious, the scorpio already has a 4x4 trim available in the base variant i.e. LX.

Infact here is an ownership report of the same :-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...io-lx-4wd.html

There is a market, although niche, for a cheap affordable 4x4 with basic trim. If you read the hue n cry on the Safari/storme threads, you would know. And to provide an automatic on this will create another niche of the cheapest 4x4 automatic suv. I dont think there is any such offering from the competition in this price range.
A very welcome move.
Cheers Mahindra.

If true this is one of the best moves by M & M since the base variant is already established product and the AWD can be made on booking.

However the only fly in the base version is the lack of ABS and should be now made available as a basic safety feature.

A welcome move by Mahindra ! clap: As everyone would have his own desires and requirements, rather than asking for more in the LX trim wont we be more happy if 4WD and automatic transmissions are offered as an option with SLE too.

Pardon me for my ignorance about the costs of introducing additional variants to a vehicle under production for more than a decade, but i would expect Mahindra to start this trend. I am sure Mahindra can shake the segment by offering LX+Auto+4WD , SLE+Auto and SLE+4WD for 9.99lakhs ex showroom. SLE+Auto+4WD can be offered at 10.75 lakhs or a bit more.

The confusion about another refresh of Scorpio may also be keeping a few buyers waiting. A clarity on the same may help improve sales figures if the launch is not scheduled in the next 3 months.

A good move by Mahindra, but the agony lies in the service after you pick up one. Hopefully they price it well .

I guess they are testing the auto-tranny sourced from Hyudai's sister concern which also supplies auto-trannys to Ssangyong. Since the old vendor had wrapped up production, it was always better to have a new one in time after thorough testing, & this is what Mahindra is doing at the moment IMO. This could have multiple benefit:

1. Have 4wd, as option, on all variants (true blue comfortable SUV);
2. Have auto tranny on all variants (compatible with 4wd as well);
3. Testing the auto tranny on the 2.2L diesel, which could eventually pave way to automatic variant of XUV500.
4. Making life difficult for the competitors :thumbs up.

I guess they are testing the new AT box, and do not have immediate plans to plonk it in Scorpio.
The new box as said by Cardeep would open up so many new opportunities for them.

And Tata - are you listening? M&M over last decade or so have been found one step ahead of their major competition in every segment. Way to go.

Where this strategy could be even better is to offer the 4WD variants in mid-level trims as well. Now its either the top end VLX with unnecessary gizmos or the bottom one with almost nothing. Certain things become essential for these vehicles when they ply on unpaved roads, like the rear wiper, demister. So probably having option packs, could help. Mid level variant with Rear washwipe/demister, ABS, power windows could be very helpful, avoiding TPMS, Cruise control and all the hoopla.

I Feel Mahindra would have sourced an autobox from some Vendor (Some Magazines say its Hyundai) and they are probably testing it under real time road conditions.

They might have mated a 4WD just in case that the 4WD system is not affected in any way.

There is/was a VLX 4X4 Automatic. Mahindra is pretty sure about ABS/Airbag etc, so the only things they might need to test is 4X4 + Auto comination. If this combination works, a non-4X4 Auto would work too

This might be the reaction of Potential threats from Auto EcoSport and the Rumoured Hyundai H1 & Maruti, Honda SUVs.