Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2013, 11:40   #1
BANNED

Cumulative worldwide sales of the Suzuki Swift cross 30 lakh units!

Source: http://www.4-traders.com/SUZUKI-MOTO...nits-15983996/

"cumulative worldwide sales of Suzuki's compact car Swift, which was launched as a world strategic model in 2004, reached three million units in January this year (eight years and two months since the start of sales in 2004)"

"Of the three million units, approximately 13% were sold in Japan, 45% were sold in India, and 23% were sold in Europe."

And that says a lot about the importance of India in Suzuki's global position, and also the popularity of Swift (and Maruti) in India!
romeomidhun is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st January 2013, 12:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Cumulative worldwide sales of the Suzuki Swift cross 30 lakh units!

Not surprised with this report which explains about the numbers and their sales in India. But one point that I would like to hold against Suzuki Management is the lack of choice of engines. UK has a very good choice of engines, body types, Accessories, comfort options.

Why would they want to treat India like a typical 3rd party when they have majority of their sales here? Something worse than a step motherly treatment and to boot their revised model was the last rolled out here.
Old 31st January 2013, 13:38   #3
Senior - BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 1st February 2013 at 13:25.
Old 31st January 2013, 14:03   #4
BANNED

The reasons Suzuki sells more car in India are: 1) Suzuki is known for light weight compact fuel efficient vehicles, and 2) India (more than any other country?) is obsessed with the term fuel efficiency.

Now, global markets are moving the same way of fuel efficient vehicles (in which India moved much earlier), and Suzuki has a great opportunity waiting there, but if only they are able to develop more exciting and fuel efficient models like Swift.
Old 31st January 2013, 14:54   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: Cumulative worldwide sales of the Suzuki Swift cross 30 lakh units!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Why would they want to treat India like a typical 3rd party when they have majority of their sales here? Something worse than a step motherly treatment and to boot their revised model was the last rolled out here.
Why fix it when it ain't broken?

They need to provide more options in UK to sell. here the sales are in autopilot mode.
Old 31st January 2013, 15:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Why fix it when it ain't broken?

They need to provide more options in UK to sell. here the sales are in autopilot mode.
Suppose we resign ourselves with us thoughts anyways I have been owning a swift and she has done 121K kms and every KM on it has been amazing, never regretted it though.
Old 31st January 2013, 15:33   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Suppose we resign ourselves with us thoughts anyways I have been owning a swift and she has done 121K kms and every KM on it has been amazing, never regretted it though.
See, we Indians are a content lot.

However, there are various other factors that lead to manufacturers way of working IMO (for Indian market): a) Other engine options will either increase the cost or will eat up the current sales. In both the cases the investment is not worth it; b) 45% of total worldwide sales means that they need to concentrate on other markets and bring them at par with Indian market. To do that they need to lure people there rather than here. In any case the swift here is market leader by leaps and bound in its segment.

Look at Fabia. In European market they have a model that has more than twice as much power, but they will never think of introducing the same here due to lack of substantial demand, cost and lower fuel economy.

PS. my swift has done 65 K and I am sure I will be as satisfied with it at 121K as I am now (or even more)
Old 31st January 2013, 15:35   #8
Senior - BHPian

Not a surprising figure, considering that 45% of the sales come from India. Just look at the figures published on a month to month basis. Barring the months where the strike affected production, and when the new Swift was to be launched, the car has consistantly sold ~8k+ units!

That, is on two engine options: Petrol and Diesel!

Mine has done a lil over 54k kms and its still running the way its supposed to.

Last edited by Swanand Inamdar : 31st January 2013 at 15:36.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2013, 16:11   #9
BHPian

Beyond what is mentioned by fellow bhpian's -

1) price of the car also matters in India. With upgraded or bigger engine spec - am sure the cost will go up for Maruti which will directly impact in the price of the car being sold and it will straight away going into next segment of car - where they will have a tough competition.

2) need to rework on better brakes, may be better gear's & rest of the dynamics which will have an impact due to increased bhp/ torque...which means more spend!

So - why spend more money without a guarantee that it will be accepted well and as sourabhzen mentioned why fix if hasn't broken!
maheshramaling is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2013, 19:32   #10
BHPian

I am sorry but I don't agree with 'Don't fix it if it ain't broken' approach from any manufacturer.

If that was the way of the world, we would still be driving bullock carts because they were never broken.

Sorry to bring bikes into the discussion but, the Pulsar series from Bajaj Auto has held a 50%+ market share in the 150cc and above segment for the past decade+ ever since its inception. And even though BAL was always criticized for it, new upgrades kept on coming regularly with the lowly Pulsar 150 getting a total of 5 upgrades over the past 10 years with its horsepower increasing from 12 in 2002 to 15 now (25% increment. How much did the Swift gain in the past 8yrs?). All this while still remaining the most profitable auto manufacturer in India.

Even though it wasn't ever broken(the sales no.s), the continuous efforts from BAL helped mature the 2 wheeler market beyond 7BHP 100cc Honda commuters to a time where Developed and Made In India bikes are proudly sold in Japan.

Last edited by antz.bin : 31st January 2013 at 19:41.
Old 31st January 2013, 19:46   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Not surprised with this report which explains about the numbers and their sales in India. But one point that I would like to hold against Suzuki Management is the lack of choice of engines. UK has a very good choice of engines, body types, Accessories, comfort options.
While it's always good for the customers, I am sure it would NOT be a feasible business for them. Indian customers are very sensitive to price & FE, both of which will go for a toss with a more powerful engine. Except for a very few who will buy a 100 bhp Swift at really high price, it may not provide the ROI for Maruti.

People really frown to pay 7L+ for a hatchback, what is the price difference we are looking at a 1.6L petrol engine? A clean 1.5L at least ?

Quote:
Agree with you. We deserve better package at the current prices - like better brakes, better build quality etc. Maruti has taken the Indian customers way too granted, inspite of their huge business.
Old 31st January 2013, 20:07   #12
BHPian

Why would Maruti add on to their already stressed factories to produce more engine options ?

As an enthusiast point of view, european specifications would be wonderful to have as it was voted as a fun to drive car by Fifth Gear.

Why bother when already i have a huge waiting list for swift/dzire with current engine options?

And maruti is known for not even providing LHS Rear view mirror for their Alto Lxi version.

Also, I heard that the build quality of swift is not as good as the previous generation swift. Not sure it was related to overall quality of materials or sheet metal thickness etc.

Cheers
MKP
Old 1st February 2013, 10:00   #13
Senior - BHPian

A little less than half of that 30 lakh sold in our country! No mean feat.

And it is high time Suzuki acknowledge this and give us a limited edition hot hatch. And we are not asking for decals or sporty fuel lids. Please No. Instead, go the incredible Fiesta S route.

Take the Swift Z variants, plonk the Ertiga Diesel and Petrol engines, lower the suspension, slap on better tyres, smokey headlights, 16" rims. Yeah, that should do.

Just parts swapping and no major investment required. MSIL should really do at least this much.

I will take the 1.4 L , in white. A turbo to go with the 1.4 will be wicked. And when you dream, why not aim high?

Last edited by deetjohn : 1st February 2013 at 10:02. Reason: typo.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks