Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2013, 09:45   #16

re: Maruti to discontinue Estilo, A-star EDIT: Estilo axed

I always felt Maruti has way too many small cars in their line-up and there was prevalent cannibalization. Unless the buyer is very clear on his small car budget, it was always a challenge to nail down one particular model. By phasing these two models out, assuming the news is true, sales of the Wagon-R, Ritz and Alto models should improve.
Old 5th February 2013, 11:13   #17
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
If they do this then this car will be placed head to head with Swift, price wise!! Which is not going to help either.
Not exactly. Ritz, which shares the same platform and engine as Swift, is priced 10-20K less than Swift. Add to that the discounts, it is nearly 40K cheaper than Swift.

A-Star has a smaller platform than Swift/Ritz. It is just 1600mm wide compared to 1690mm of Swift/Ritz, and is shorter too. Also, A-Star uses the smaller K10 engine while Swift/Ritz uses the K12. So, even after making it longer by another 200-250mm, it can still be cheaper than Ritz by 40K, and Swift by a good 80K, IMO.
Old 22nd August 2013, 15:19   #18
BHPian

I have been noticing for the past couple of weeks that the A Star has disappeared from the lineup of models in the Maruti newspaper ads. I wonder whether it is because the current model is being discontinued and a refreshed model launched, or whether we have an all new A Star in the offing.
Old 22nd August 2013, 17:02   #19
BHPian

A source told me today that A-Start will be sold in India as long as Maruti exports the car internationally.
Estilo may face the axe very soon.
There will be no K10 version based on the new Alto 800
Old 22nd August 2013, 17:30   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by performance plumbing View Post
Estilo may face the axe very soon.
Estilo should have been discontinued a long time ago. Even the facelift was useless. The Nissan Moco/ Suzuki MR Wagon (Estilo here) sold from 2001-2006 overseas. And then around 2007 Maruti got it here!

Quote:
There will be no K10 version based on the new Alto 800
Really? What about the 1lit. Eon then?

Is there any Estilo replacement as removing both Estilo and Alto K10 would leave a big gap.
Old 22nd August 2013, 19:52   #21
BANNED

Quote:
A source told me today that A-Start will be sold in India as long as Maruti exports the car internationally.
Estilo may face the axe very soon
Now this is finally good news.

These two cars needed to be laid to rest as it was not selling either and could be creating a production downtime due to changeovers and low orders. Maruti now needs better vehicles with good design and better engines (Both performance wise and efficiency wise) in the petrol and diesel segments.

Anurag.
Old 22nd August 2013, 20:35   #22
BHPian

Estilo had recently got a newfound interest in the Mumbai Cool Cab guys. This was their only alternative to the Santro Xing
Old 22nd August 2013, 20:54   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Estilo had recently got a newfound interest in the Mumbai Cool Cab guys. This was their only alternative to the Santro Xing
Cab guys and that too using an Estilo. There is nearly no rear legroom for passengers. I guess the Santro has a better space utilization than the Estilo.

Cool Cab guys would be thinking WHY!! but nothing to worry as spares are shared by most cars in Maruti and it would be available till the next 10 years. But anyway good that the car is given an end!

Cheers,
Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2013, 09:58   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti axes Estilo

Maruti has decided to pull the plug on the Estilo due to poor sales.

Quote:
The Estilo is currently available with a discount of Rs 35,000-50,000 (depending on location) but we expect Maruti to further increase the amount to empty its inventory as soon as possible. Citing poor sales, the Estilo is the third hatchback to be axed this year, preceded by the Skoda Fabia and the Honda Jazz.
http://www.autocarindia.com/News/354...es-estilo.aspx

Last edited by volkman10 : 23rd August 2013 at 10:00.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2013, 10:09   #25
BHPian

Re: Maruti axes Estilo

It's one of the neat looking car from Maruti. Even though it was disappointing when compared to original Zen at launch. To me, among the current crop of hatchbacks below Swift / Ritz it's the best looking city hatch.

Hope Stingray takes it's place.
Old 23rd August 2013, 10:11   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post

Had to happen. Also, it *sold* only because it was a Maruti. Had any other manufacturer attempted to sell a shape like this (esp. when based on the name of the legendary predecessor) , it would have been a catastrophe!
No offence to the owners though!
Old 23rd August 2013, 10:31   #27
BHPian

Quote:

Never really understood what Maruti was trying to do when they launched the Zen Estilo moving over from a classic jelly bean to a wierd tall boy design . There was another experiment they did when they launched the Zen Classic which i think was again a poor performer, i never liked it personally though.

We've had couple of first generation one's in our family, one of them is still with us due to the emotional value attached to it. Interestingly it's the first one delivered in Indore City, i think a lot of imported parts would be there in this piece as the localisation was not high initially.

Good that the agony ended, the original one already died long back once they stopped the first generation.
Old 23rd August 2013, 10:32   #28
BHPian

With the launch of Stingray, this was waiting to happen. 5 cars using the same 1.0K engine, 3 of them with almost same body shape, was proving too much a crowd in the line-up.

I have neutral views on the shape, but I still wish MSIL brings the old zen again with better interiors, would sell like hot cakes IMO.
Old 23rd August 2013, 10:36   #29
BANNED

Quote:

Bro there already exists a thread for this topic.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ch-2013-a.html

But thanks for the good news.

Anurag.
Old 23rd August 2013, 10:38   #30
Senior - BHPian

I got both the Zen and the Zen Estilo (facelifted variant); I always feel that this is a car that should have sold in good numbers. The biggest blunder that Maruti did was to name it Zen Estilo. Second blunder was launching it in Pink color.

Rest is history. Glad to own one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks