Known/experienced mechanic at home 5 17.24%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2016, 12:54   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Why not to maintain old cars through authorized chains

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
I have even seen old Toyota Corollas and maruti Esteems face similar fate.
I have used a Maruti Suzuki Esteem 3 years after the last esteem was rolled out of the factory. The model which I used then was 10 years old then! My friend still uses it 8 years after the last esteem rolled out of factory. While, it's not as easy to source spares as say a swift, it is still much better than the competition. The comparison I'm making here is with brands like Fiat and Honda because I have seen both of them handle their EOL products and it's downright pathetic. Honda fairs better than Fiat here though.

With regards to Corolla, I don't have 1st hand experience. But, with Qualis, I have seen Toyota handle it in a very professional manner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
Even with freshly launched cars on newer platforms, the issue comes up when a facelift is launched.
Yes, if the facelifts do not have parts which are compatible with the old design. For eg:- in the case of Toyota Etios, most facelift parts are backward compatible with the older design. This is a design philosophy followed by Toyota with most of their models and that's why their cars look so boring face lifts after face lifts.
Old 30th November 2016, 13:08   #122
Team-BHP Support

I don't think this is an authorized service centers vs independent garage issue. Availability of parts is directly proportional to how quickly it "moves" in the market.

Take your own example - time taken for replacement of power window switch in the 1st gen Jazz.

1) In a new car, power window switch is unlikely to go kaput. The probability of such components not working increases with time though.
2) Even if power window switch stops working in a new car, the owner will immediately get this replaced at an authorized service center. But a typical customer of a 10 year old car is unlikely to bother much about such a non-critical component.

Because the demand for non-critical components goes down over period of time, dealers (or independent garages) won't bother stocking them.
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2016, 13:33   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

In addition to above, in this specific case, the other problem is that both these cars (Jazz and Lancer) were not big sellers. The Jazz was a sales flop and I don't think the Lancer was much better. If a car was a good selling model during its life time, that would translate to it being popular in the used car market and hence there is a higher probability of authorized service centers stocking parts.

For example, I dont think the problem would be so severe if it were say a Maruti Zen/Esteem or Santro or for that matter the previous gen Honda City's . The approch of sharing parts from the same bin across models-Like most manufacturers today do, also helps.

Having said that, agree that post warranty period, if one can find a good reliable FNG, that would be the better option rather than having to go to the Authorized Service Centers all the time.
Old 1st December 2016, 12:09   #124
BHPian

At the risk of stirring a hornet's nest, here's something I heard from a reliable source: Authorized service centres sometimes salvage parts from one discontinued customer car to fix another similar customer car due to dearth of parts. The source in question had had some interior plastic bits ripped off and had confronted the ASC who owned up (not sure if it was on record or off it). The car was a 3rd gen City.

Hence it is always advisable to take discontinued models to your FNG and have them work on it under your supervision.
Old 1st December 2016, 12:18   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinath.s View Post
At the risk of stirring a hornet's nest, here's something I heard from a reliable source: Authorized service centres sometimes salvage parts from one discontinued customer car to fix another similar customer car due to dearth of parts. The source in question had had some interior plastic bits ripped off and had confronted the ASC who owned up (not sure if it was on record or off it). The car was a 3rd gen City.

Hence it is always advisable to take discontinued models to your FNG and have them work on it under your supervision.
This used to be a regular modus operandi during 70's and 80's (in the days of Bajaj Scooters and Fiats). If you were not vigilant the A.S.S. would change the parts during the third service replacing them from those of an older vehicle. That is the reason I prefer to be present during service, and avoid vehicles where that is not permitted.
Old 17th December 2016, 12:57   #126
Senior - BHPian

Re: Authorised Service Centre or Independent Garage

ASCs provide a 6 month warranty on the job they do . Eg , my timing chain job had a 6 month warranty on it . Independent garages and local mechanics provide no such warranty . They don't have the financial backing to do so either.

One of my friends had to change the clutch+flywheel on his Verna. The costs were slightly lesser in a local garage , but he went with the ASC due to the warranty factor.

I do get work done both at ASCs and at local garages. But sometimes I would choose the ASC over the local garage , depending on the job at hand. The major grouse I have with the Fiat ASC is that they don't have the right service advisors. They recommend unnecessary replacements , whereas the local mechanics are a lot more honest.
Old 2nd January 2017, 20:46   #127
BHPian

I came across this app called "ulafix". seems to be a platform that connects those looking for car service, spares and any kind of automobile service with competitive quotes from service providers/ independent garages. This service seems to be available only in Hyderabad for now, any one here has first hand experience dealing with this app or service? if so, please do share your feedback.

Last edited by s@tan2s@int : 2nd January 2017 at 20:50.
Old 20th September 2017, 09:59   #128
BHPian

OEMs can easily maintain service satisfaction levels and prevent owners from getting hoodwinked by greedy/unscrupulous service centers by getting the basics right.

Standard layout: Customer lounges should be on the 1st/2nd floors or at a higher platform, enabling customers to have a view of their vehicle getting serviced all the time. Also, if possible gangways should be put in place for customers to have a walk by, that of course, without compromising the safety aspect of it. If showrooms can be of standard look and layout why can't the service centers also follow the suit?

Packaging proof wherever applicable: It should be made "mandatory" to show the packaging of replaced component(s) during vehicle delivery and the packaging must be destroyed in front of the customer/by the customer. Also, old/replaced part(s) must be shown to the customer.

General conduct: I have often seen and faced situations when upon entering the service center to collect the vehicle, the SA will straight away take the customer to billing counter , especially in case of two wheeler, case in point: RE - ECity service center. SA should show the vehicle, get customer's nod on the servicing check points and then ask for payment.
k88k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2018, 14:11   #129
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 15th February 2018 at 14:53.
mattyf1 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 24th June 2019, 09:10   #130
BHPian

Does anyone residing in Bangalore and having a Hyundai car know a good FNG in Bangalore who is good for repair of Hyundais (specifically a 11 year old automatic i10 and a 2 year old manual Elite i20)? Am currently doing everything at Trident Hyundai in Adugodi.
I stay near MG Road (Ulsoor Road) and would prefer an FNG somewhere close to me?
Probably is only a matter of time when ASC starts charging ridiculously especially for the i10. For the Elite i20, I still have 2 years of extended warranty so am more or less safe, but still would like to have an FNG ready in case something comes up that the ASC cannot handle or charges double or triple.

Last edited by motorguy : 24th June 2019 at 09:10. Reason: additional information
Old 24th June 2019, 10:04   #131
BHPian

I had my Brio serviced at FNG (Carsmith bangalore) for 3 years. the result were good. One of my friends use the same FNG for his Beat.
As long as the car is under warranty I will stick to the A.S.S once out of warranty I am open to experiment.
The primary reason to move out of Honda A.S.S for Brio is inferior attention and service to small car like Brio. they prefer to take in Jazz, city etc as the margins are higher
Old 24th June 2019, 10:43   #132
BANNED

I have a nine-year-old Fiat Punto. For eight of those nine years I used authorised centres (first Concorde, then Ramkay). The car runs like new after nearly 80,000 km. But Fiat has now closed the centre nearest my place, and the nearest option is now 25km away. So I have switched to the 3rd party shop 1km away.
Old 24th June 2019, 14:55   #133
BHPian

Funnily enough, I saw this thread in the morning, and decided to take my 15 year old Santo to the ASC to sort out a couple of niggles and AC issues. While driving there, the AC refused to work at all! The people at Mukesh Hyundai, Khardaha, listened to my issues and took the car in immediately. I was in and out of the centre in approximately 2.5 hours, with all my issues solved. Mind you, various FNGs had been unable to solve the AC issues prior to this. They have a small customer lounge too, with AC and wifi, but I spent all my time with the car in the service bay. Bill came to a measly 788 rupees only, despite them having carried out quite a few jobs. I think I'm going to continue with them in the future, and ditch FNGs entirely. Attaching a few pictures:

Authorised Service Centre or Independent Garage-img_20190624_121116.jpg

Authorised Service Centre or Independent Garage-img_20190624_130202.jpg

Authorised Service Centre or Independent Garage-img_20190624_122610.jpg

Authorised Service Centre or Independent Garage-img_20190624_130221.jpg
boniver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 14:50   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Bill came to a measly 788 rupees only, despite them having carried out quite a few jobs. I think I'm going to continue with them in the future, and ditch FNGs entirely.
that's awesome. I cannot dream of this happening in Mumbai for a 15 year old car I'm sure the SC would try to convince me to upgrade and sell the old one

The tendancy to try and do unnecessary repairs or replacements is very high with the VW workshop in Mumbai, whatever makes a minimum 5-figure invoice should be done! A recent issue with the AC condenser of my Polo was proof of the same. Based on my experience with Hyundai and VW I would look at the issue and then decide which way to go.
Old 25th June 2019, 15:08   #135
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_fox View Post
A recent issue with the AC condenser of my Polo was proof of the same.
For AC issues, Unicool in Ghatkopar is a very good Independent. They are very competent & they are not inclined to making you do unnecessary work.
carboy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks