Team-BHP - Petrol--Rs 18.9 (Malaysia) / Rs 34 (Pakistan)!!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Petrol--Rs 18.9 (Malaysia) / Rs 34 (Pakistan)!! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/13354-petrol-rs-18-9-malaysia-rs-34-pakistan-2.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedbuster
the price which we are paying for petrol has 57% tax !!

I'm not sure about the exact percentage (the state component would vary because taxes are in the form of Customs Duty + Central Excise + State Excise), with special duties, etc, etc. With the VAT regime coming in, I don't know how it looks, but I'm pretty sure we pay well over 50 percent in taxes!

That is DAYLIGHT ROBBERY! Petrol isn't a luxury, and hey, want to guess who the biggest user of petrol is in India? I'm sure it's the sarkar itself!!!

Because of the mail I received I did some looking around regarding taxes on petrol and I was SHOCKED--I'm not a communist by any standards, but on this I am with the communists--duties must be dropped; the answer to rising crude prices isn't passing on the hike to overburdened customers, but to cut taxation on petrol!

@ivor....next line it says "The petrol prices in Delhi stood at Rs 51.87 per litre, Bangalore Rs 59.26 per litre, Chennai Rs 56.54 per litre and Calcutta Rs 56.05 per litre"

I never saw these kind of prices in 2005....

Nonetheless...whole point was to make one understand the genuineness of the issue

56!!!!!!!!!!!! That is CRAZY

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iknowthisguy
@ivor....next line it says "The petrol prices in Delhi stood at Rs 51.87 per litre, Bangalore Rs 59.26 per litre, Chennai Rs 56.54 per litre and Calcutta Rs 56.05 per litre"

I never saw these kind of prices in 2005....

Nonetheless...whole point was to make one understand the genuineness of the issue

yup you're right ... 51.87 in delhi lol: rubbish ... it will be soon but never in 2005.

wrong info atleast wrt to Pakistan, the petrol rate there is abt Rs. 59

This is true.

A very popular petrol pump in Chennai put a small chart showing the true prices of petrol and diesel.

The chart also showed how much excise was paid, transportation ,taxes,etc..

The price of 1 litre petrol is cheaper than diesel.

I remember vaguely. 1000 litres of Refined Petrol cost Rs.16,000 whereas the same quantity of diesel cost Rs.18,000.

This is the same fuel which we use in our vehicles( includes all the refinement and processing done).

What makes Rs.16/ litre to Rs.48/litre of petrol and Rs.18 per litre to Rs.34 per litre of diesel is purely TAX!!

Barring around 10 to 15% for transportation of the fuel to the pumps.

We pay over Rs.25 as tax (per litre of petrol).

This is 100% true. Are we Indians considered FOOLS???

Its every citizen's right to question the government why he's paying SO MUCH for fuel!!!

If the government can change its taxes ,
we should only pay around Rs.25 per litre of petrol.
Diesel would be marginally expensive.

To lighter the mood let me sing a famous song of Pakizaa for u all...
chalo dildar chalo ..chand ke paar chalo...
chand ke paar means pakistan or Malaysialol:

Bloody Daylight Robbery!!

Dont know how many of you remember the "Gulf War Surcharge" levied during similar spurt in global prices during the Gulf war in 1990/91 never got repealed!

Heared a news lately around a month ago that venezuela president said "If i get the authority to supply petrol to all the countries then i will not let petrol prices to be more than INR 40. He also said that they have petrol for next 900 years reserved in their country." :Shockked:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiero
i heard that in venezuela ... its 12 cents a gallon ... thats rs. 1.5 a litre !!!

Quote:

He also said that they have petrol for next 900 years reserved in their country."
For his consumption alone,heh?

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitrous
What makes Rs.16/ litre to Rs.48/litre of petrol and Rs.18 per litre to Rs.34 per litre of diesel is purely TAX!!

This is very true, diesel and petrol rates worldwide are almost equivalent, in India the diesel rates are subsidized (read lower taxation) for commercial and rural purposes.

So now we petrolheads know who to vote for next elections - COMMUNISTS!!!

Although, its pretty related. Lets not bring politics into this.
Communism has other disadvantages.

Price hike was there during the BJP period, but staggeringly high during this Congress period.

The main problem is that ,although everyone in the society is directly or indirectly affected by fuel price hikes, only a negligible or a microscopic part of the population actually protest.

All others including me sit and just get furious over the matter. Its time we got up from our lazy behinds and shove things up the government's!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitrous
This is true.

A very popular petrol pump in Chennai put a small chart showing the true prices of petrol and diesel.

The chart also showed how much excise was paid, transportation ,taxes,etc..

The price of 1 litre petrol is cheaper than diesel.

I remember vaguely. 1000 litres of Refined Petrol cost Rs.16,000 whereas the same quantity of diesel cost Rs.18,000.

This is the same fuel which we use in our vehicles( includes all the refinement and processing done).

Barring around 10 to 15% for transportation of the fuel to the pumps.

We pay over Rs.25 as tax (per litre of petrol).

This is 100% true. Are we Indians considered FOOLS???

Its every citizen's right to question the government why he's paying SO MUCH for fuel!!!

If the government can change its taxes ,
we should only pay around Rs.25 per litre of petrol.
Diesel would be marginally expensive.

Hey Nitrous,

Just Shocked..:Shockked:
Thanks For The Info..

Cheers,
Mugen_Power.

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedbuster
the price which we are paying for petrol has 57%
tax !!

Well, IMO, lowering taxes won't help much. Its another story that government don't use tax funds properly and it gets stolen by our corrupt politician and officers. Please read this article for some overview....

Rising petrol prices are good for us

Quote:

But whichever way you look at it, cutting the tax on petrol would be the wrong way to go. For a start, there's the conventional economists' argument that the best response to higher prices is higher prices.

Huh? It's not as meaningless as it sounds. Prices rise when the demand for something is growing faster than its supply. Although part of the rise in oil prices is based on speculation about disruption in the Middle East, and so may not be long-lasting, the underlying increase in demand is coming from the rapid growth in the economies of China, India and other developing countries. This is likely to keep upward pressure on oil prices for many years.

But in a market system, a rise in the price of some commodity prompts a change in behaviour. It increases supply by encouraging exploration for new sources, makes formerly uneconomic oil fields profitable and encourages the development of substitute fuels.

At the same time, it reduces demand by encouraging consumers to use petrol more economically and search for cheaper substitutes. Put this reduction in demand together with the increase in supply and you see that a rise in prices should lead to a fall in prices.

So allowing retail petrol prices to move in response to market forces is the best way to minimise the long-term rise in prices likely to come from the developing world's increasing demand for oil.

There is evidence that motorists really are changing their behaviour in response to the higher prices of the past year or two. Despite the continuing growth in our economy, the quantity of petrol sold in Australia last year fell 8 per cent.

In the purchasing of new cars, there's a marked swing away from four-wheel-drives and other gas-guzzlers towards smaller cars. There are even signs of a modest switch back to travel by train and bus.
_max_