Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2013, 20:38   #1
BHPian

Maruti moves to offer buybacks, discounts as buyers stay elusive

Seems like Maruti is also having problems. They are also going to come out with many schemes like buy backs and discounts for almost all the products.

source -http://www.financialexpress.com/news...lusive/1093457

Note from Team-BHP Support: Please take time and care to post your reply. Sentence starting with lower case, no use of punctuation reflects in a negative manner. Please type in proper english for the benefit of other community members.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 27th March 2013 at 19:10.
san2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2013, 21:11   #2
BHPian

Re: Maruti moves to offer buybacks, discounts as buyers stay elusive

How about they sell cars for what they are actually worth instead of the ripoff price that they are pushing models like Swift for? Better anyday than some sales gimmicks and 'limited edition' models.

From the link:

Quote:
In the ‘zero down payment’ model, a customer walks in with an old car and walks out with a new model without paying any money upfront, but just pays the EMI.
How exactly is that zero down payment The old car would probably be worth much more than the 15% downpayment on the new car.

Last edited by chncar : 26th March 2013 at 21:16.
Old 26th March 2013, 22:28   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
How about they sell cars for what they are actually worth instead of the ripoff price that they are pushing models like Swift for?
All below prices in ex-showroom.

Ford Figo Titanium - 5,99,999/-
Swift ZDi - 687768/-
Punto 1.3 diesel emotion - 7,00,607/-
i20 Sportz - 7,17,099/-
i20 Asta - 7,62,938/-

Polo prices are not mentioned in the site, but I am sure it competes with i20 head on, and may be even more! I'm interested in knowing why you consider only the Swift as a rip-off here!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th March 2013, 22:46   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
All below prices in ex-showroom.

Ford Figo Titanium - 5,99,999/-
Swift ZDi - 687768/-
Punto 1.3 diesel emotion - 7,00,607/-
i20 Sportz - 7,17,099/-
i20 Asta - 7,62,938/-

Polo prices are not mentioned in the site, but I am sure it competes with i20 head on, and may be even more! I'm interested in knowing why you consider only the Swift as a rip-off here!
In Chennai Swift ZDi costs 7.08 lakhs ex showroom and around 8.2 lakhs on road with no discounts. By comparison both Figo Titanium and Ritz work out between 1 to 1.5 lakh cheaper for more or less the same features (give or take some pros and cons) factoring in the discounts.

I think a fair price for Swift would be about 50k less than what it is now.
Old 26th March 2013, 22:54   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Maybe it's much too old a model ? Almost 9 years of the same, every 3rd car is a swift ? Maruti has already made a million times of their investment out of it ?
Old 26th March 2013, 23:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

Maruti is starting to feel the pinch of declining sales and they have decided to offer any different kind of special that will attract customers and more pertinently convert the walk-ins.

What deals would actually work is a little debatable because one of the problems of reducing prices now is once demand picks up, people will ask why can't cars be priced the same. This means once prices rise again, people will see the product as being over priced
Old 27th March 2013, 00:11   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR;3077540[B
....I'm interested in knowing why you consider only the Swift as a rip-off here! [/b]
Because the thread is about Maruti vehicles. I feel the same about the price - Maruti may have stretched it a bit too much looking at their backlog numbers. But then every such thing needs a correction - that's inevitable. If the market leader starts it, will be just about time others follow it.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2013, 00:40   #8
BHPian

Oh I like the buy back offer. Hope it's not limited to local state registered cars only like their true value.
Old 27th March 2013, 09:20   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
In Chennai Swift ZDi costs 7.08 lakhs ex showroom and around 8.2 lakhs on road with no discounts. By comparison both Figo Titanium and Ritz work out between 1 to 1.5 lakh cheaper for more or less the same features (give or take some pros and cons) factoring in the discounts.

I think a fair price for Swift would be about 50k less than what it is now.
1. Thats why they have the Ritz! To compete with the likes of Figo.

2. There is no such thing as fair price, buddy! Price is calculated based on many parameters - one primary factory being market demand and brand perception.

3. Swift competes with Polo, i20, Punto etc and I see all of them having similar/ higher rates. If competition would have been price better - Maruti would have been forced followed the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Maybe it's much too old a model ? Almost 9 years of the same, every 3rd car is a swift ? Maruti has already made a million times of their investment out of it ?
True. Its been long. 9 years. But makes me wonder how gracefully it has aged in the market.

I saw a brand new Swift today morning (during my morning walk), and was thinking the same thing - It looks eye catching still - if properly maintained.

I'd gladly pick a Swift over the cheaper (and ironically younger too) competition like Figo, Sail, Liva etc. Polo/ Punto is another story though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Because the thread is about Maruti vehicles. I feel the same about the price - Maruti may have stretched it a bit too much looking at their backlog numbers. But then every such thing needs a correction - that's inevitable. If the market leader starts it, will be just about time others follow it.
Backlog numbers? Maruti is just trying to get aggressive and gain even more market share when the overall trend is downwards IMO. In a way - they are making up for the lack of demand in general, by milking their biggest cash cow.

A 9-year old in the market hatchback, touching 8L INR - with the below sales figures would be good enough to make any automobile company drool!

February - 19,534.
January - 18,928.

December - 17,436.
November - 17,335.
October - 15,433.
September - 9136.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 27th March 2013 at 09:22.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th March 2013, 12:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

With a minimum of 95% localisation on most of the cars from MSIL, its definitely a rip off. The service costs are not cheaper for the MSIL cars either. I believe there is a thread on this myth.

The Figo is cheaper by atleast 80K and the localisation on the Figo would be close to 80%, same goes for other manufacturers too like Fiat or VW. Its definitely a rip off to me.

Last time I enquired the price of Swift, it was close to 8.4L which is only 80K cheaper than the Classic Fiesta SXi

Quote:
I'm interested in knowing why you consider only the Swift as a rip-off here!
anachronix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2013, 13:11   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
....Backlog numbers? Maruti is just trying to get aggressive and gain even more market share when the overall trend is downwards IMO. In a way - they are making up for the lack of demand in general, by milking their biggest cash cow. ...
Didn't quite understand your post, sorry! If you remember, once there was a time when Swift / Dzire had a 1 year waiting period, for any model. From there it's come down to immediate delivery for a diesel and starting to have discounts even. Doesn't it show that the demand indeed has slowed down and they might soon start offering bigger discounts? May be in 2-3 months time? Even discounts can be termed a price correction right?
Old 27th March 2013, 15:34   #12
BHPian

They are just making the most of the favourable market, that's what I can say. Maruti Swift pricing is a rip off definitely and it is at least Rs 1 lac costlier that it should be, it's just that the demand was so strong and Maruti decided to make fat profits.

My logic is that it is sub 4 meters so it has only 12% duties and maruti isn't passing any of savings to customers for sure. Ford figo is more realistically priced, i guess. Even Dzire is over hyped and overpriced.

Just wait for a few months, when the diesel price increases by a few more Rupees and market slowdown persists along with launch of Honda Amaze, hopefully at a sane price, Maruti will come down from it's high pedestal and will give more discounts or cut rates. They can't afford to let their huge capacity go idle and lose market share. I certainly don't see Honda amaze launch expanding market in the current scenario, there is going to be a shakeout in this segment.

Last edited by rock75 : 27th March 2013 at 15:43.
Old 27th March 2013, 16:09   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock75 View Post
Maruti Swift pricing is a rip off definitely and it is at least Rs 1 lac costlier that it should be, it's just that the demand was so strong and Maruti decided to make fat profits.
Are you saying that Swift should be priced cheaper than the wimps like i10, Santro, Beat, Micra and Pulse? Hope you have seen, driven and experienced those cars too.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 27th March 2013 at 16:20.
Old 27th March 2013, 16:39   #14
Senior - BHPian

Swift is surely overpriced, but so are other cars from other manufacturers.

Ford Figo is VFM(due to its price) but then it surely misses on the fun to drive, climate control etc.
Liva, tell me something new apart from the Toyota Quality !!
Sail is cheap and it looks cheap too

i20,Fabia,Polo,Micra,Pulse are all anyway expensive.

So We should blame all the auto makers for collectively making the cars expensive.

To some extent, i will blame our govt taxation, but some credit should be shared by these makers as well.

eagerly waiting for analysis on march sales. It is expected to be bad for everyone. If that trend continues for another couple of months, then we will see price correction across the board

Last edited by rajshenoy : 27th March 2013 at 16:40.
Old 27th March 2013, 17:33   #15
Senior - BHPian

Figo misses Fun to Drive!? You cant be more wrong than this, I will ask if you have ever driven one. If you are talking about the puny 68bhp diesel and the 72bhp petrol, see what the Figo can do on the track to a more powerful and lighter Swift!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-who-wins.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Ford Figo is VFM(due to its price) but then it surely misses on the fun to drive, climate control etc.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks