Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2013, 10:41   #1
BHPian

Toyota to recall Corollas produced between January - June 2003

Toyota Kirloskar Motors will issue a recall for its Corolla sedan produced between the months of January to June 2003 for an airbag related issue. The move is part of a recall by Toyota Motor Corporation for 1.73 million vehicles that were built worldwide between the months of November 2000 and March 2004. Approximately 1,000 Corollas sold in India would be affected by the recall. Corolla owners will be contacted by TKM through authorised dealers and the issue will be rectified free of cost.

Toyota to recall Corollas produced between January - June 2003-corolla_2003.jpg

The defects pertain to airbags made by auto supplier Takata Corporation (the world's 2nd largest supplier of airbags & seatbelts). The airbag issue could result in the inadvertent deployment of the front seat airbags or activate the automatic seat belt restraints.

Approximately 3 million vehicles manufactured by Toyota, Honda and Nissan worldwide are facing this recall. Both Honda and Nissan have confirmed that their cars in India were not affected by the problem. Honda has issued a recall for 1.14 million vehicles globally while Nissan has issued a recall for in excess of 137,000 units in Japan. Takata corp also supplies airbags and seatbelts to GM, Ford and Diamler AG.

Last edited by Rehaan : 12th April 2013 at 12:08.
Redline6800 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th April 2013, 12:13   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Toyota to recall Corollas produced between January - June 2003

Just 6 months back Toyota 'recalled' close to 9,000 cars in India for a faulty window switch : Link

These are usually preventative measures for that one in a ten-thousand chance that something might go wrong, but I'm still glad to see it being done.

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2013, 12:37   #3
Senior - BHPian

Recalling after 10 long years ? While it is good to hear that Toyota is recalling even old cars for some defect(in this case inadvertent deployment of the front seat airbags or activate the automatic seat belt restraints), But what took them 10 long years to realize this ?

Also wondering, did this issue not happen even a single time in last 10 years for the owners to raise a complaint against toyota ? Just curious
rajshenoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2013, 12:57   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Recalling after 10 long years ? While it is good to hear that Toyota is recalling even old cars for some defect(in this case inadvertent deployment of the front seat airbags or activate the automatic seat belt restraints), But what took them 10 long years to realize this ?
Apparently the airbag manufacturer only learnt of the problem in Oct 2011 when an airbag deployed in Japan. They could not reproduce the problem during tests that were conducted.

With many of these Corolla's into their 3rd and 4th owners here in India, wonder how they will be contacted ?

Is there any data on what manufacturers actually accomplish once they announce recalls ? especially here in India where there is no one to monitor.
Redline6800 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2013, 19:04   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post

Also wondering, did this issue not happen even a single time in last 10 years for the owners to raise a complaint against toyota ? Just curious
This issue is not just specific to Indian Corolla or it is not specific to just Toyota.
3 major manufactures from Japan: Toyota, Honda and I believe it is either Suzuki or Nissan are impacted as they used Airbags components from one vendor during the specified time frame.

As Redline6800 reported, No malfunction were reported till the Japan case came up.

I am happy that Toyota is issuing the recall in India (else where, they have no option but to issue due to stricter laws) unlike Vilks Wagon who has recalled infamous DSG gearbox in China but decided not to recall it in India.
Nitrous Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2013, 20:32   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Its really nice to see Toyota cares for their 10-13 years old products too. Am sure not many company will do such a call back for their 10 years old model. These practices definitely helped Toyota to be one of the best sellers in the whole world. Do keep up this good work. This will definitely turn on customers in favor of buying a Toyota product.
Old 12th April 2013, 21:37   #7
BHPian

In India Corolla was released in Jan 2003 or a few months before? My father drives what he bought in March 2003, so I presume it is within the range for recall. And what I drive is a Dec 2004 manufacture, my car may not come in the range, but still will want to clarify with the T.A.S.S.

I respect and appreciate Toyota for doing what is right irrespective of time laps of 10+ years, that shows commitment towards its customers and precisely what earns loyalty in the long run.
Old 17th August 2013, 17:34   #8
BHPian

Update: My Dads 2003 Corolla, Toyota dealer at Hubli did the replacement of the part yesterday, he had received a call last week for the same.
zulfi hansi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks