Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2013, 15:58   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mini starts local assembly at BMW's Chennai Plant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
Haven't picked it up yet!

I'm getting the Cooper S variant
with the turbocharged 1.6 litre Petrol engine. I test drove the car quite a bit and initlal impressions were mostly good....

I'll post a proper review with pics once I've had a chance to get some miles on the car!
KBK! I'm not at all jealous :P. I'm looking forward to an In-depth review from you.
When is delivery expected? Oh and did you also test drive the normal Copper variant? If so, How was it compared?
Old 24th June 2013, 16:00   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post

By then I'd already started looking at alternatives and the Countryman S is what it's going to be! I don't really want the added size (or cost for a similarly equipped X1, not to mention it's nowhere near as fun to drive) so for my needs (small-ish, fast hatch that is practical for our conditions) the Countryman Cooper S fits the bill quite nicely! The hatchback Cooper S, fun as it is, is just not practical enough to be a daily driver in India or I would have definitely gone with that!
That's the same point am looking at, on paper the countryman D seems to be ticking all the boxes with regards to my needs. would highly appreciate your feedback on the diesel, if you get a chance to check it out.
Old 24th June 2013, 17:20   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
KBK! I'm not at all jealous :P. I'm looking forward to an In-depth review from you.
When is delivery expected? Oh and did you also test drive the normal Copper variant? If so, How was it compared?
Hopefully I'll get the car by the end of the week. I didn't test-drive the non-turbocharged Cooper variant, so I can't really say what the performance of that car is like. I would imagine it would be similar in most respects, just slower and less fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadix View Post
That's the same point am looking at, on paper the countryman D seems to be ticking all the boxes with regards to my needs. would highly appreciate your feedback on the diesel, if you get a chance to check it out.
If I get a chance to drive either the Cooper petrol or the diesel version I will certainly share my thoughts here.
kbk_75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2013, 11:57   #34
BHPian

just a couple of years ago, the thought of buying a 30L+ rupee hatchback was unfathomable! I remember when the Fabia was launched, I felt it was incredibly overpriced at 5-6 Lakhs!! But now with the launch of the Merc A Class/B Class and the soon to arrive BMW 1 Series, I felt that the Countryman pretty much held it's own against this new competition and proved a viable alternative.

I had a chance to drive the Countryman D High and my personal opinion is that it's not that much worse to drive than an A180 CDI. Not to mention, you still get that go kart like feel alebit slightly less so than the regular hatch. The space actually felt a lot better in the back than the A180 and definitely a LOT more than the X1!

What do you guys think of this? Can it be considered as a daily driver for those looking for an alternative to the A Class and 1 Series?
Old 18th August 2013, 14:55   #35
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom_op View Post
just a couple of years ago, the thought of buying a 30L+ rupee hatchback was unfathomable! I remember when the Fabia was launched, I felt it was incredibly overpriced at 5-6 Lakhs!! But now with the launch of the Merc A Class/B Class and the soon to arrive BMW 1 Series, I felt that the Countryman pretty much held it's own against this new competition and proved a viable alternative.

I had a chance to drive the Countryman D High and my personal opinion is that it's not that much worse to drive than an A180 CDI. Not to mention, you still get that go kart like feel alebit slightly less so than the regular hatch. The space actually felt a lot better in the back than the A180 and definitely a LOT more than the X1!

What do you guys think of this? Can it be considered as a daily driver for those looking for an alternative to the A Class and 1 Series?
A 100%! If I were as well-heeled as that, I would certainly contemplate buying such a car and would most certainly use it very happily indeed, as a daily driver.
The Countryman is a nice semi-rugged-ish cross-over-ish vehicle which still retains enough of the Mini's DNA in it, so as to remain a very desirable vehicle.
Is funny but we were lurking about near Navnit Mini Cooper Bengaluru this morning. It was shut unfortunately, but still, since the cars are parked outside we spent some time admiring them.
For a small family like ours, with just two of us most of the time and occasional visits from Parents, the Countryman will do the job as excellently well as my Yeti does and I am sure, will give us a lot more exclusivity and driving pleasure as well.
The Countryman is around the same size spec more or less as the Yeti so it wont be a big change in that sense. But it really cossets one when one sits inside!
Personallly though, for me, there will be nothing quite as desirable as the Mini Cooper S - I absolutely love that car and I do know, since we are a small family that if one day I were to be able to afford to buy one, it will be just perfect for us as a small daily driver family car and indeed, our only car.For now, I shall content myself by dreaming. And shall try my best to perhaps rent one for a weekend whenever I next visit the UK. Bottom-line, I positively ache for one of these cars, every day and spend a good deal of time admiring the 1:43 scale models of it in my collection!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 18th August 2013 at 14:57.
Old 13th December 2014, 14:31   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Just booked the Countryman D for the sister. Production of the Mini has stopped and it seems they had just one production run in 2013 after which they are switching back to CBU. They plan to promote the 5 door mini for now and will relook at local production here after a year for the Countryman again. Stocks of the Countryman D Highline are exhausted a few months back and only 3 units left in the entire country of the regular variant.
The car comes with a 3 years BSI all inclusive service pack + extended warranty free under the current offer.

Last edited by Sahil : 13th December 2014 at 14:51.
Sahil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2014, 02:42   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Got delivery yesterday. Here she is..
Attached Thumbnails
Mini starts local assembly at BMW's Chennai Plant-image.jpg  

Sahil is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th December 2014, 12:46   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Got delivery yesterday. Here she is..
Congratulations on the Mini.

What was the on-road cost of the car? Can you please post some interior pics for us?
Old 18th December 2014, 13:20   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
Congratulations on the Mini.

What was the on-road cost of the car? Can you please post some interior pics for us?
It was around 30ish OTR. Couldn't haggle much as this was the only Countryman D they had left. Stock is over across the country.

Paid around 95k extra to upgrade the free inclusive 3yr service+warranty to a 5yr service+warranty. Well worth it as it covers: oil, filters, spark plugs, brake fluid, brake discs, brake pads, wipers. Coupled with a Zero Dep insurance policy, this car should hopefully be relatively economical to own.
The car's on board computer seems to be displaying at 12kmpl FE which is pretty good as it has been driven in traffic for the most part.

Note to Mods: Please make the pic straight in my previous post. Thanks!

Last edited by Sahil : 18th December 2014 at 13:21.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks