Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2013, 10:40   #16
BHPian

Its not the first time indian cars have made it to that list.
Even our good old Mahindra jeep made it in the list of top 10 in worst cars in history.
This list was made by BBC top gear UK sometime back.
Don't remember the exact season/episode though.
Old 2nd May 2013, 11:37   #17
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata & Mahindra in Car & Driver's 7 Worst vehicles list

Am sorry but I disagree with the list. Feel it is quite biased and Pro their native vehicles. Why it does not hesitate to pass a comment on the previous gen Toyota Yaris either.

We all know that American cars are not the best examples of engineering to start with and here we have even a German VW being targeted. India and China are easy targets to gun for in their local markets. This article as mentioned by Mpower smacks of the typical American attitude.

It is not really a conclusive article and does question the list right at the start itself so let us not go overboard. The Vista and Scorpio do have their faults but they actually for their price points do better many other offerings globally and neat offerings for our market and indeed even SA. Many of the vehicles sold in large numbers in USA would not even make the cut on our roads.

It seems to be more of a JC of TG kind of article aimed at fun rather than being taken seriously.
ACM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2013, 16:18   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Then let's take Mahindra off the title too, since the double cab is not offered here either.
Isn't this double cab the same as getaway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalihal View Post
In Mahindra's defense, these guys are referring to the double cab pick up. This is longer than the standard Scorpio and thus may have more flaws. But the Scorpio is quite a good vehicle and handles pretty well.
Were you really defending Mahindra by saying what you said?

I'm not certain whether the comparison/review was an objective one however we all know what TATA & Mahindra's mean when it comes to safety & quality.
Old 3rd May 2013, 07:46   #19
BHPian

Today, I have 2 cars in my garage. One is a Tata and the other is a Mahindra.
I am fully satisfied with my cars. To he'll with the article.
deep_bang is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2013, 09:39   #20
BANNED

A pretty immature article not worthy of mention or concern.

The author fails to drive home any serious issues with the Indica or the Scorpio that are worth considering.
I did not bother to read his opinion about the other cars.
While he says that the Indica is a "real car" and that Mahindra "supposedly" makes tough trucks, he puts them in this so called, comic list of his own.

The article is akin to watching one more typically American slap stick comedy show with no sense or quality content.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2013, 10:23   #21
Senior - BHPian

The link says "we drive seven of the worst cars in the world", but they did not actually even drive the Scorpio, just had a walk around it ! No patience to do an actual TD, but just go ahead and publish the article anyway, seemed to be the objective here.
Old 3rd May 2013, 12:57   #22
mxx
BHPian

Although the article lacks depth and substance, let us not kid ourselves by saying that products from mahindra and tata are good. When you compare with competition, they are average at best. Yes, they are popular because they are cheap. And they are cheap largely because of taxation policies of government in which cars with imported content end up costing more(eg: xuv vs santafe/captiva). Or because they are decades old wine in a new bottle(bolero/thar). Tomorrow, if the CKD duties are withdrawn, and santafe/captiva are priced similar to xuv/aria, most people will choose the former. I take example of aria/xuv because that is supposed to be their flagship vehicles (they also call them "world class" whatever they mean by it).
Old 3rd May 2013, 13:43   #23
Senior - BHPian

While not commenting on what this article says, what I can say based on personal experience of owning a Scorpio along with a few other cars ranging from the humble Maruti 800 to the Chevy Captiva, that the Scoprio is by far the WORST verhicle i have ever owned. Viewed objectively, it is woefully short of acceptable standards whether it is on dynamics, ride and handling, ergonomics, space packaging, fit and finish, after sales service et al.

P.S.- this is purely my personal view and no disrespect is intended to Scorpio fans or owners
himanshugoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2013, 14:50   #24
Senior - BHPian

The cars they have chosen is the Vista and Scorpio Pick up, which are cars "built on a budget". Ask them to build the cars at that price and we can see the result. They simply do not have such cheap cars. So it is not fair to compare our budget cars with their's, which are much more expensive.

Modern cars built by our manufacturers (and which are NOT built on a budget) have good build quality, even panel gaps and score well on safety too. For example, both the Aria and the XUV have a 4 star crash test rating.

Moral of the story is : the less you pay, the lesser benefits you get. Simple.
Old 3rd May 2013, 14:59   #25
BHPian

I agree. The article seems to have been written in a hurry, not offering any logic for the choice of vehicles. Some cars are built to a budget and they do perform much more than expected. This article itself is not clear as to what the aim is. It qualifies for the "worst articles written on cars (or does it ? )". I do not have a problem people criticizing cars or Indian cars, because, every car has shortcomings, but it is the tone of the article that is just not right.
Old 3rd May 2013, 15:06   #26
Senior - BHPian

A stupid article in some random blog on internet by some idiot.

Why do we Indians start taking *anything* from a foreigner's mouth so seriously?

Last edited by DCEite : 3rd May 2013 at 15:08.
Old 3rd May 2013, 18:24   #27
M35
BHPian

An immature approach with a closed mind.

I owned a Tata in the past and enjoying driving a Mahindra at present. These are not the best in the world, but do the job what they are meant for, pretty decently. I own a refresh Scorpio SLE and I am using it as a 5 seater with the third row resting back in the store room. I am very happy with the ergonomics, dynamics, space management, fit & finish and the improved after sales and service, for the money I spent [purely my personal view].

I am happy driving it because I am aware of
  • The kind of Indian roads I drive on
  • The fact that I am not driving a sedan
  • What my vehicle is best at and also not so great at
  • Most importantly I don't act a Michael Schumacher in it, as I am very well aware that neither I am driving a Ferrari nor a Mercedes.
Lets us give Tatas and Mahindras some more time to be able to compete globally with their own designs and vehicles.
OT
At the same time none of their cars have been as ugly as this one from General Motors, Pontiac Aztek.

Quote:
Drive one and you quickly realize that the Aztek's exterior design is its best feature

Read more:The 10 worst cars sold in America

Last edited by M35 : 3rd May 2013 at 18:35. Reason: corrected line spacing
Old 4th May 2013, 08:13   #28
BHPian

The responses are interesting. Attack the writer, attack the publication, attack the writer's country, make excuses about Indian conditions, as if any of that changes the stark reality that Tata and Mahindra products are third class junk in the wide world of automobiles.

It feels that Indians want to feel special in the world, but shut their minds to frank appraisal when it shows an unhappy picture of where they stand.

Most of the arguments made against this on the basis of Indian conditions don't hold water. If they did, the Tata Indica would be the best selling small car in India. It isn't even close. Even Indian customers spend their money on cars engineered by Japanese and Korean companies.

At any rate, those cheerleaders who were so gung ho about Mahindra's foray into the US market, who could not be persuaded that the Scorpio wasn't good enough, might benefit from a glimpse into the standards and expectations that are the norm in developed markets
Harbir is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th May 2013, 08:41   #29
Senior - BHPian

Being a Mahindra Owner for past four years, I cannot agree much but then its purely my perception comparing with the competitions in Indian market.

Africa for that matter gets exposed to broader options when manufacturers across the globe fights their presence there. I saw TATA XENONs in Bangkok and my taxi driver told they are not good as Isuzu, Toyota, Mazda, Mitsubishi have better offerings. Anyways lets respect their feedback as well and improve our products to meet the global expectations.
jacs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2013, 10:47   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
The responses are interesting. Attack the writer, attack the publication, attack the writer's country, make excuses about Indian conditions, as if any of that changes the stark reality that Tata and Mahindra products are third class junk in the wide world of automobiles.

It feels that Indians want to feel special in the world, but shut their minds to frank appraisal when it shows an unhappy picture of where they stand.

Most of the arguments made against this on the basis of Indian conditions don't hold water. If they did, the Tata Indica would be the best selling small car in India. It isn't even close. Even Indian customers spend their money on cars engineered by Japanese and Korean companies.

At any rate, those cheerleaders who were so gung ho about Mahindra's foray into the US market, who could not be persuaded that the Scorpio wasn't good enough, might benefit from a glimpse into the standards and expectations that are the norm in developed markets
The article writers picked up cars from dealerships in South Africa, drive them around with no clear evaluation method and somehow a few of them the worst in the world? How is that an objective exercise? I can't speak about cheerleaders, but most people are pretty grounded about Tata and M&M cars. It is understood that their products still have a long way to go. But M&M especially has shown clear signs of getting better. Calling them the worst in the world is clearly contentious. Now if there was an objective exercise in evaluating cars across the globe which found the XUV5OO amongst the worst SUVs in the world i would be worried. As long as the products are constantly improving, i'm willing to give them time. The article is just tabloid-ish and hence shouldn't really attract nuanced analysis.
Flying Djinn is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks