Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2013, 11:06   #16
BHPian

re: Is Audi readying a cut-price Q3?

There is a half page advertisement in TOI today with the details as follows:

Audi Q3 Quattro

Down payment 6 L (Inclusive of Road Tax and Registration)
84 EMIs of 39999

Valid for only first 100 bookings

Really tempting
nareshtrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 11:07   #17
Senior - BHPian

Audi Q3 "Anniversary Edition" to be launched soon

Link to News Section

The Q3 Crossover, German luxury car maker Audi's entry level car model, is a year old in the Indian car market. To commemorate this occasion, Audi India is all set to launch an "Anniversary Edition" model of the Q3. This information was relayed to Team-BHP by Audi India MD, Mr Michael Perschke, through his Twitter account. While the details on what's new on the Anniversary Edition of the Q3 Crossover remain unknown at this moment, Audi does have special plans for the first 100 customers of this anniversary model. The first 100 customers of the Anniversary Edition model of the Q3 get a special financing scheme of a 6 lakh rupee downpayment and a 84 month-39,999 rupee EMI. Notably, Audi is running a similar scheme on the A6 special edition sedan by offering a low down payment option of just 6 lakh rupees, and an attractive EMI scheme.

Is Audi readying a cut-price Q3?-2012audiq3crossoversuv1.jpg

Apart from the attractive financing scheme, the changes on the anniversary edition of the Audi Q3 are expected to be in terms of additional features and creature comforts. Expect an official announcement from Audi India to arrive very soon. Although the Audi Q3 is a year old in the Indian car market, the German car maker continues to import the crossover through the completely built unit(CBU) route. Such an approach has meant that the Q3, in base diesel trim, starts at a price around the 27 lakh rupee mark. Audi also sells a top spec version of the Q3 with the 2 Liter TDI turbo diesel engine and a petrol engined version of the crossover powered by a 2 liter TFSI turbo petrol engine. All versions of the Q3 currently sold in India come with the Quattro all wheel drive system and a 7 speed DSG automatic gearbox as standard.

Is Audi readying a cut-price Q3?-2012audiq3crossoversuv2.jpg

In the coming months, Audi India plans to kickstart CKD assembly of the Q3 crossover at the car maker's Aurangabad assembly unit. CKD assembly of the Audi Q3 is expected to result in cost savings through lower import duty and also lower road taxes. The CKD assembled Audi Q3 is expected to be a diesel powered model in front wheel drive guise. Also, the 7 speed DSG automatic gearbox could be replaced with a 6 speed manual unit given the fact that Audi already has a 2 Liter TDI(140 Bhp-320 Nm) diesel engined version of the Q3 serving as an entry level model internationally. CKD assembly of the Audi Q3 is expected to result in a price drop of 4-5 lakh rupees for the base version of the diesel engined-front wheel driven model.

Is Audi readying a cut-price Q3?-2012audiq3crossoversuv3.jpg

Last edited by JayPrashanth : 3rd June 2013 at 11:17. Reason: News Link Added
JayPrashanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 11:09   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
Do they really though?
I've always thought such things only mattered to us enthusiasts and the masses wouldn't notice the difference.
Most people I've across who've owned Audi cars have not once thought that they are driving a pimped VW ever only compare them to their direct rivals when car shopping.
That’s why I said, it may work in their advantage for short term. But once the masses get more informed of their choice, this strategy may backfire.

In the International space, the rising popularity of Skoda against corresponding VW models should be a case study for them. Because of that reason, they have really loaded the new Mk7 Golf, and it’s now dangerously close (or even better) than the more colourful siblings (e.g.; Audi A3). If the MK7 Golf is a template for the upcoming VWs, there is nothing much to differentiate between the premium model and the mass market ones.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 11:34   #19
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
That’s why I said, it may work in their advantage for short term. But once the masses get more informed of their choice, this strategy may backfire.

In the International space, the rising popularity of Skoda against corresponding VW models should be a case study for them. Because of that reason, they have really loaded the new Mk7 Golf, and it’s now dangerously close (or even better) than the more colourful siblings (e.g.; Audi A3). If the MK7 Golf is a template for the upcoming VWs, there is nothing much to differentiate between the premium model and the mass market ones.
Your opinion is respected but don't you think that Brand image will always be king.
Skoda, as I understand it is considered the opposite of what it is in India in that it's 'inferior' to VW, However I feel the two brands are still generally considered as 'aam janta' brands by the Europeans such as Honda Vs. Toyota by some of us in IST. Where as the comparison cannot be drawn in my opinion with a brand such as Audi and VW due to the formers premium brand image.
Oh don't get me wrong I whole heartedly agree with what you are saying there is little to no difference but above is what the scenario will be like generally I feel.
Maky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 11:36   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao View Post
There is a half page advertisement in TOI today with the details as follows:

Audi Q3 Quattro

Down payment 6 L (Inclusive of Road Tax and Registration)
84 EMIs of 39999

Valid for only first 100 bookings

Really tempting
How is that tempting my friend. It comes to around 40 lac and that too for a period spanning 7 years. Will a German car be easy to maintain for that long on our roads.
I think this is just good marketing but people should really weigh the time frame and the mony involved in this gimmick.

If I am not wrong is it not like 10 lacs just on interest. And that too for a depreciating asset. I really can't understand how some one will go for this. Please if there is something I have overlooked, correct me.
eq24 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 11:50   #21
Senior - BHPian

The Q3 without quattro and drivetrain shared with other sedans from the VW group should be a hit with a lower price tag. Audi manages sales with its 2.0L diesels for the A4 and A6, I haven't seen a single quattro version of these sedans in Bangalore since the latest models came out. The Q5 and Q7 employ quattro, for the real volume generators 4WD is just a gimmick.

The new generation X5 will come with 2wd and a 2.0L, in what is a really sensible move by BMW. Audi should get on the same path, the cars sell for the luxury they offer, quattro has very little utility outside of brand building.
Old 3rd June 2013, 11:51   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
Your opinion is respected but don't you think that Brand image will always be king.
I agree that brand image plays a big role, especially in the Indian scenario. But all I am saying is, if there are no special traits developed to enhance those brands (and differentiate from the lesser ones), there is a chance of exclusivity getting withered out. Audi has taken a few years to evolve into the big stage, and I hope they do enough to stay there.

Coming back to the Q3. In its base avatar, I don’t see a single point which makes it stand superior to the competition like BMW X1 (or even the Volvo v40 Cross Country).
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 12:35   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
If the cut price Audi comes in around 20 L, then a number of potential Skoda and VW buyers will buzz off in that direction.
Plus, I am sure they would have thought of bringing in the VW Tiguan and other such vehicles one day. They will need to leave some gap between say the Yeti Elegance and the Q3 for the Tiguan to fit in. Also, one day they may bring the Q2, Q1 etc in, so they will require a small gap to play in and build relevance...

Thanks for mentioning the Tiguan...

2012 UK review of Q3 FWD, did mention its very resemblence to Tiguan, but also agreed that this duly potrays the Audi spirit, and major features (except the Quattro 4WD); suitable for soft roading with little reduced packaging

Per my last discussion with the VW SA, the Tiguan is planned to launch somewhere in mid 2014, and price range would be around 15-18L approx.
FWD Q3 is 4-5L less than current quattro Q3, IMO, considering that news, and current international price, in india it can be expected over 25L
spyder918 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 15:43   #24
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: Is Audi readying a cut-price Q3?

In an ideal scenario from a Brand Segmentation point of view, the Tiguan will slot just above the Yeti and the Q3 will slot just above the Tiguan.
However, different variants of these brands could be nosing about in similar pricing territory.
Perhaps for example the base level Q3 would be priced in line with an upper-mid spec Tiguan and likewise the Top Spec Yeti could be nosing about near the Mid Spec Tiguan.
As it stands the Top Spec Q3 costs about 44 L on road BLR which is about double what the Top Spec Yeti costs!
End of the day, I am getting all that the Q3 offers, at half the price, in my Yeti, except the Audi badge and look.
I am easy with that, truth be told.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder918 View Post
Thanks for mentioning the Tiguan...

2012 UK review of Q3 FWD, did mention its very resemblence to Tiguan, but also agreed that this duly potrays the Audi spirit, and major features (except the Quattro 4WD); suitable for soft roading with little reduced packaging

Per my last discussion with the VW SA, the Tiguan is planned to launch somewhere in mid 2014, and price range would be around 15-18L approx.
FWD Q3 is 4-5L less than current quattro Q3, IMO, considering that news, and current international price, in india it can be expected over 25L
Old 3rd June 2013, 15:47   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24 View Post
How is that tempting my friend. It comes to around 40 lac and that too for a period spanning 7 years. Will a German car be easy to maintain for that long on our roads.
I think this is just good marketing but people should really weigh the time frame and the mony involved in this gimmick.

If I am not wrong is it not like 10 lacs just on interest. And that too for a depreciating asset. I really can't understand how some one will go for this. Please if there is something I have overlooked, correct me.
Its the Figure of 6L DP, and then that 40K EMI, that looks tempting from a distance until one does the actual maths.
Old 3rd June 2013, 16:17   #26
Senior - BHPian

My two paisa. Talking of diluting the brand, in the past Audi India's top management have made some noises about not launching the A3 sedan in India as it would create positioning nightmares. However, most media outlets continue to say that the A3 sedan is India bound. I don't think it makes sense for Audi to launch a sub 20 lakh rupee car. It could kill exclusivity and drive down the brand value. In fact, a few people whom I know don't want to buy the Mercs and Beemers of this world. They'd rather settle for a Jaguar or some other luxury marquee that makes them stand out a little bit. This is what I've observed. Most people who can afford it, want to stand out. Audis and Mercs don't seem to be cutting it for many of these people.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 3rd June 2013, 16:30   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24 View Post

I did the same calculations and failed to see the benefit of that offer at all. Price of the car goes to 40 lakhs and that is not small money for a car of that size.

Staying in Bangalore, I havent seen that many q3's (certainly not as much as the X1's) and that must be down to the pricing, since cars in bangalore are probably the most expensive. I think if one goes up by 5,00,000/- (on the top model Q3) they could get a base Q5? Its what my neighbour did.

Last edited by Fullrevs : 3rd June 2013 at 16:34.
Old 3rd June 2013, 23:28   #28
Team-BHP Support

If this new stripped down Q3 is going to come without Quattro, it will be very interesting to see what gearbox Audi give with this model.

Internationally the front wheel drive version of the Q3 has a 140PS 2.0TDI engine mated to a 6 speed manual. Audi does not offer an automatic Q3 with front wheel drive. Only the Quattro gets 7 speed S-tronic transmission.

Offering a manual transmission model at this price point may not work. Let's face it there are only a handful of people who want manual transmission premium cars. While we Team BHPians yearn for the clutch pedal, the mass of people buying Audi's, BMW's and Mercedes want the AT option only.

I don't even know if they have a decent AT box for front wheel drive option. Even the A4 gets the lousy CVT.
Old 3rd June 2013, 23:39   #29
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
If this new stripped down Q3 is going to come without Quattro, it will be very interesting to see what gearbox Audi give with this model.

Internationally the front wheel drive version of the Q3 has a 140PS 2.0TDI engine mated to a 6 speed manual. Audi does not offer an automatic Q3 with front wheel drive. Only the Quattro gets 7 speed S-tronic transmission.

Offering a manual transmission model at this price point may not work. Let's face it there are only a handful of people who want manual transmission premium cars. While we Team BHPians yearn for the clutch pedal, the mass of people buying Audi's, BMW's and Mercedes want the AT option only.

I don't even know if they have a decent AT box for front wheel drive option. Even the A4 gets the lousy CVT.
I am not sure if everybody wants an AT, especially many of the younger buyers they are targeting in this segments. In fact, not just younger ones. My dad drove the X1 for a TD, his first reaction was, he was bored, just waiting for the gearbox, nothing to do with your left half body. (Better leave the right cerebral hemisphere back home).
It was a BMW, but what spirited driving can you do in City traffic?

Let's hope for an affordable and interesting Manual option.
Old 4th June 2013, 09:43   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
I did the same calculations and failed to see the benefit of that offer at all. Price of the car goes to 40 lakhs and that is not small money for a car of that size.

Staying in Bangalore, I havent seen that many q3's (certainly not as much as the X1's) and that must be down to the pricing, since cars in bangalore are probably the most expensive. I think if one goes up by 5,00,000/- (on the top model Q3) they could get a base Q5? Its what my neighbour did.
I agree. I was probably more enthused by 6 L and 40K. Not sure what is the price of that specific model which was used to arrive at these numbers.

By the way, I did SMS to the number in the ad. I got a response that someone would contact in 12 hours. It's over 24 hours and no contact yet.

So much for Sales experience......

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks