Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2014, 17:28   #211
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Nano - Will it ever sell in vast numbers?

BTW, the problem is not isolated to the Nano only. Which Tata car has ever sold in large numbers? Probably the Indica to some extent, but mostly by the cab owners. (Don't mean to offend the private car owners).
The truth is that Tata has not got hold of the passenger car market here and the only ones buying Tata are mostly the cabbies and the Nano does not fit in there.
So, it's not only Nano not selling; basically looking at the larger picture, it's a Tata not selling.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2014, 06:53   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Engine seems to have gone to the front now going by the air vents in the front bumper and the lack of vents in the rear bumper for the camouflaged car.
Easier said than done! I would seriously doubt that nor would not come to conclusions with just those clues, as the engineering design change and hence the corresponding manufacturing process changes at the Singur facility would be more than highly challenging when it comes to shifting the engine from rear to front.

Having said that, is this 1.0L petrol a downsized version of the 1.2 Revatron we guys are talking about in the other thread? Interesting, how things are slowly unfolding about Tata's ways and strategies ahead!
Old 21st January 2014, 09:04   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvijay View Post
Easier said than done! I would seriously doubt that nor would not come to conclusions with just those clues, as the engineering design change and hence the corresponding manufacturing process changes at the Singur facility would be more than highly challenging when it comes to shifting the engine from rear to front.
Do you really think that a 3 cylinder 1000cc engine would be the same size and dimensions as the current 624cc 2 cylinder engine? I don't think the rear portion of Nano can accommodate a bigger engine.

The changes to the manufacturing process is inevitable for the 3 cyl Nano or a diesel Nano.
Old 21st January 2014, 10:21   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Engine seems to have gone to the front now going by the air vents in the front bumper and the lack of vents in the rear bumper for the camouflaged car.
I also doubt that the engine has gone to the front, especially since the front tyres are still skinny compared to the rear ones (like in current nano).

Though, I agree, the front grille and the absence of grille on the rear bumper surely leads us to believe that.

Last edited by teemus : 21st January 2014 at 10:23. Reason: minor additions
Old 21st January 2014, 13:05   #215
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Do you really think that a 3 cylinder 1000cc engine would be the same size and dimensions as the current 624cc 2 cylinder engine? I don't think the rear portion of Nano can accommodate a bigger engine.

The changes to the manufacturing process is inevitable for the 3 cyl Nano or a diesel Nano.
At the same time, is the front spacious enough to accomodate an engine, leave alone a three cylinder? In the rear the engine takes up the space below the rear seat as well as the bootspace. Is the front more spacious? Along with that the radiator, condensor, and various other components required to be fit. Even if all that is done in the most compact way, it will still be a serious crash hazard. I think the front grill is present to accomodate a bigger radiator and condensor.
Old 21st January 2014, 19:38   #216
BHPian

Just heard from Bangalore, where the Vista ABS was launched, that the Nano Twist has gathered 600 bookings in Bangalore. 2000 across India is likely, then? Considering December sales were as low as 554, this is a solid jump.

I have believed for a while that for a cheap car to work, it has to have 'something else. Something that will create a cult around it, or be super cute, or super wacko, pocket rocket - something interesting. Take a look at this pic of the Nano EV. Its practically the same car visually but with some sophistication brought in. If the real Nano looked like this, then it could sell better, perhaps?

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/04/t...ectric-future/
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nano - Will it ever sell in vast numbers?-nanoev.jpg  

lawdgawd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2014, 20:31   #217
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdgawd View Post
Just heard from Bangalore, where the Vista ABS was launched, that the Nano Twist has gathered 600 bookings in Bangalore. 2000 across India is likely, then? Considering December sales were as low as 554, this is a solid jump.
Did it really create that much of an impact? I never felt that the nano had a hard steering that required EPS. Perhaps people were waiting for a PS to be offered before they switched to the nano. Now how will the dealers clear old stock?
Old 21st January 2014, 20:37   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I dont buy the argument that the cheap tag hurt the brand. What hurt the brand was failure to launch the car as planned, with all the pent up demand, and the disappointments over initial delays.

Do you recall the oohs and aahs when the car was launched? People were queuing up with cash in hand, but the wait let them down. Same will happen to EcoSport I suspect.
Delays will make a car more desirable...not less. Duster and Ecosport both have a waiting list and endless delays but still are in strong demand

Zenren is totally right in his analysis. I have spoken to 2 people who bought Altos and both rejected Nano for its cheap image. They would'nt have bought it even if it was launched at the original date & rate.

oohs & aahs mean nothing till you see and hear one on the road. Secondly it was from people who are not in the market for it

Last edited by Mpower : 22nd January 2014 at 01:59.
Old 22nd January 2014, 09:30   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Delays will make a car more desirable...not less. Duster and Ecosport both have a waiting list and endless delays but still are in strong demand
My dear Sir, I am afraid that is not very correct. Even if you see the sales of the Duster and the Ecosport they are falling and not rising. If I want something, I will not wait for too long. Especially when there are so many alternatives. The Nano was hurt by the moving of the plant from Singur to Sanand and the delays that came with it. The delays were used by the other companies to make sure that the product was properly run into the ground. And that plus the herd mentality of us Indians kept driving us in droves to Maruti. Just look at that ugly wave front design of the new Alto 800. But people will buy that. So what clicks and what doesn't in the market place does not present itself in black or white. If it did there would be no marketing disasters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I dont buy the argument that the cheap tag hurt the brand. What hurt the brand was failure to launch the car as planned, with all the pent up demand, and the disappointments over initial delays.
I would agree with this completely. It was the delays, and the negative publicity in conjunction with the couple of instances of spontaneous combustion that reinforced all the negative publicity of it being a coffin etc, that actually led to the downfall of the product. But I do think that adding a CVT which is not very expensive will push sales because it is now coming with power steering as well. What is important is that Tata needs to consolidate on a proper communication strategy so that it does not send all kinds of confusing messages to prospective customers. The car should be sold as a proper inexpensive car, because that is what it is.
Old 22nd January 2014, 10:28   #220
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsack View Post
. But I do think that adding a CVT which is not very expensive will push sales because it is now coming with power steering as well. What is important is that Tata needs to consolidate on a proper communication strategy so that it does not send all kinds of confusing messages to prospective customers. The car should be sold as a proper inexpensive car, because that is what it is.
The car has already beem repeatedly loaded with more and more tech as and when the engineers thought. Also appreciable improvements were made. Did it work? No. That was because one fail of a marketing. They wasted one full page of a newspaper exhibiting fancy colours and a Nano in the end. Instead they could have genuinely written how the Nano has grown up from its first generation. They could have made use of the space to highlight how the Nano could be an easy alternative for the C segment sedan for quick runabouts. They could have done a comparo with a bike stating how the lesser mileage in the nano compared to the bike in turn can give other benefits like safety, higher capacity and the comfort of an AC.

Instead, they tried to defame the market leader Alto by posting comparisons. Sadly, they hit the wrong target. Second car buyers didnt care what advantage it had over the alto. Bike owners looked at that comparo and thought it was out of their territory. Youngsters turned the page as soon as they saw the brand. Thats the story of how good engineering effort was killed by bad or rubbish marketing.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2014, 10:32   #221
Senior - BHPian

Tata's should dumb down their communication, period!! Most of the Indian aam junta (common people) are quite dumb, in terms of understanding, education, world views and consequently automobile knowledge. Hence to effectively communicate with the car buying masses, a dumbing down is essential. I dont mean to belittle the common man, by saying this, what I mean, is the sales pitch, pricing, advertising strategy, explaining benefits of the car etc etc, should be on the same page as what a common man thinks and understands.
I believe Maruti has championed how to speak and connect with the common man, hence their sales also reflect that. Are Maruti cars seriously that much better than Tata cars? Not really. Currently Tata vehicles are seen as
1) low quality
2) Difficult to maintain
3) Don't provide good fuel economy
4) As a consequence of the above 3, have poor resale value

Tata's poor sales are a mere reflection of their brand perception in the buying public's eyes. I believe Karl's idea is correct, getting his quality right, pushing new products and disassociating with the older duds, and then pitching for sales, however he should also concentrate on good communication.
Classic example is : How Cadbury India handled communication by roping in Mr Bachhan, to promote good hygiene and quality of their chocolates once that worm incident came to light? Likewise Tata should get ads out on their strengths, their trucking division, their brand name, good quality processes, how robust their vehicles are and people stories, on how they connect with Tatas.
Old 22nd January 2014, 10:43   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
The car has already beem repeatedly loaded with more and more tech as and when the engineers thought. Also appreciable improvements were made. Did it work? No.......
Instead, they tried to defame the market leader Alto by posting comparisons. Sadly, they hit the wrong target.
What technology was repeatedly loaded on the Nano? Altered ECU tuning and bigger steering wheel will qualify to be called technology update? Chrome bars? The first real technology update is the power steering, the next should be CVT.
Comparisons with other cars are normal ethical advertising practices which are quite strictly monitored by the Verifiable Truth Claims Committee. Every car and bike maker has used this strategy many a time. Communications strategy gone wrong has nothing to do with defamation of another car. Like I said, marketing strategies are not easy to get right. It is all very well for us to sit in front of a computer and let lose complaints but the situation will be very different once you are a part of a strategy team. The problem is more with communication strategy rather than just marketing.
Old 22nd January 2014, 11:51   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdgawd View Post
Take a look at this pic of the Nano EV. Its practically the same car visually but with some sophistication brought in. If the real Nano looked like this, then it could sell better, perhaps?

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/04/t...ectric-future/
That EV looks smashing, much better than the existing Nano, perhaps in fit and finish and/or the color.
Imagine if people can customize the Nano online, just like Motorola has done to the Moto X, with funky color options, interior options and extra kit. That would surely get them lot of youngsters interested.
S_U_N is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2014, 12:35   #224
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsack View Post
What technology was repeatedly loaded on the Nano? Altered ECU tuning and bigger steering wheel will qualify to be called technology update? Chrome bars? The first real technology update is the power steering, the next should be CVT.

By tech I didnt refer to anything special. Maybe I didnt put it right. They have been adding quite a few features compared to the first version. Double crank prevention, changes to the wiring harness after fire incident, accessory socket, beige interiors, audio system option, improvement in the colours offered(before they had only plain non metallic colours) and more, which I havent read in detail.

Just that I feel these improvements must be exhibited in a better way and must hit the right audience, which has not happened till date.
Old 23rd January 2014, 08:42   #225
BHPian

Tata Motors planning AMT, the clutch-less transmission, for Nano.

As per ET they are working with an Italian company to develop AMT. This IMO would be the same Magneti Marelli developing AMT for Maruti.

Nano's future looking bright

Article also states Nano Twist managed 400 bookings within first week of launch in Bangalore alone.

Source
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/29224686.cms

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks