Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2017, 19:55   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
HI there,
Were you not informed when you gave your car of the replacement plan of the parts like timing belts (and it's associated parts), DSG oils etc.

What works had you requested to the service adviser?

Going through the items billed, i do not see any particular loot/snake oil stuff.

By the way, changing timing belt etc & DSG oil at 1Lac KMs is not un-natural.
I left the car only for normal Oil change service. They did not inform me about the DSG Oil nor timing belt change. They asked me about the Mirror replacement to which I denied, but that too they replaced and billed me.

I complained to customer service but did not get any proper reply from them and came to Team-bhp only as a last resort since I did not want their already bad reputation here to get worse.

If these are all normal things that need replacement it's alright. Their attitude though is bad, but obviously since I'm a Skoda customer already will have to live with it I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
I am surprised they didn't tell you upfront what service will be done and approximate estimate of the bill.

The items look normal to me. It has some items like mirror, bulb, trim, mud flap etc to indicate non consumable parts which would have contributed to the higher than usual bill.

By Skoda standards it looks like you got away cheap They should have thrown in some air conditioning part to bump up the bill into 6 figures.
No they did not inform me upfront and though this figure is not large as how the Big 3 charge customers, it was still an initial shock as I was expecting to pay just 15 grand.

Anyways any idea why there is a difference with the website's service cost calculator ?

Last edited by Aditya : 8th March 2017 at 09:45. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 7th March 2017, 20:03   #62
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Superb 1 Lakh Km Service cost - Normal or Scammed again ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
I left the car only for normal Oil change service. They did not inform me about the DSG Oil nor timing belt change. They asked me about the Mirror replacement to which I denied, but that too they replaced and billed me.
While giving the car for service, generally they hand over a counter foil, where they mention approximate cost.
If the costs differ significantly, then the Service adviser should ring you and take permission to go ahead. That is how it is for all the service centers i have dealt with (VW, Hyundai etc)

It is a gross violation if they did not do this. Did you confront them on the spot?
What did they say?

Finally, Did you physically verify on the spot, whether they have actually changed everything with new ones?
Old 7th March 2017, 20:13   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
While giving the car for service, generally they hand over a counter foil, where they mention approximate cost.
If the costs differ significantly, then the Service adviser should ring you and take permission to go ahead. That is how it is for all the service centers i have dealt with (VW, Hyundai etc)

It is a gross violation if they did not do this. Did you confront them on the spot?
What did they say?

Finally, Did you physically verify on the spot, whether they have actually changed everything with new ones?
My service center is usually far off so my driver drops and takes delivery of the car.

I did not get any such thing nor was any call made. When I spoke on the phone, they were a bit rude and asked me to pay soon and take the car out.

They returned the car with the replacement parts.

Anyways as most have mentioned here that all these items need replacement, it's alright. Skoda's service center attitude is not a surprise so I'm not going to bother trying to change them. Sales of their competent car's are testament to their poor attitude.
stanjohn123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2017, 20:26   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
No they did not inform me upfront and though this figure is not large as how the Big 3 charge customers, it was still an initial shock as I was expecting to pay just 15 grand.

Anyways any idea why there is a difference with the website's service cost calculator ?
You should definitely let them know your displeasure about not informing you upfront.

The item wise costs seem to match with the Skoda estimates. The total is more because the service includes lot more things needing replacement upon inspection, such deviation is normal as the mileage piles up. I feel the bill amount is OK for the work that was carried out. But it is a big deal that they have not taken your consent and given an estimate up front.
Old 7th March 2017, 21:40   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
You should definitely let them know your displeasure about not informing you upfront.

The item wise costs seem to match with the Skoda estimates. The total is more because the service includes lot more things needing replacement upon inspection, such deviation is normal as the mileage piles up. I feel the bill amount is OK for the work that was carried out. But it is a big deal that they have not taken your consent and given an estimate up front.
Yes I had informed customer care that I was not happy with their attitude and behaviour of not informing me.

Anyways Mod's can you please change the Title of the thread, as I was not scammed.
Old 21st March 2018, 11:33   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda: Steps towards Transparency - Online Service Cost Calculator & Owners Manual

Skoda Service camp:
Introducing SKODA Pre-Summer 40 point checkup & special offer on specific spare parts. Download the MySKODA App and book your service today. http://bit.do/iSKODA
itwasntme is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 09:20   #67
BHPian

Re: Skoda: Steps towards Transparency - Online Service Cost Calculator & Owners Manual

Would any know since when the service cost estimator has been 404. I had used it last Jan 2020, now been 404 since over 10 days and no responses either on queries as to why is it defunct.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda: Steps towards Transparency - Online Service Cost Calculator & Owners Manual-whatsapp-image-20210108-09.16.26.jpeg  

Marshall is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 10:09   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Would any know since when the service cost estimator has been 404. I had used it last Jan 2020, now been 404 since over 10 days and no responses either on queries as to why is it defunct.
I had raised this question to Zac Hollis on the FB Skoda Owners page. He acknowledged saying they are updating the calculator, back in December and said it would reflect soon. The issue was again raised last week by someone else and he promised to check with his team and revert. The page may be back soon, , if we are to go by his statement.

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 8th January 2021 at 10:14.
Old 8th January 2021, 10:23   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
I had raised this question to Zac Hollis on the FB Skoda Owners page. He acknowledged saying they are updating the calculator, back in December and said it would reflect soon. The issue was again raised last week by someone else and he promised to check with his team and revert. The page may be back soon, , if we are to go by his statement.
It is interesting that he seems to be looking to change their customer service responsiveness but is reflective of a corporate culture that has been rooted in lethargy, won't be an easy change. Changing the prices on a calculator, as a product, should be a straight forward, simple update and there is no reason to take it down without having the update patch ready. Just belabouring the point that this is a cultural problem with the company and something that gives me pause as a potential customer.
Old 8th January 2021, 11:30   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTrippin View Post
. Changing the prices on a calculator, as a product, should be a straight forward, simple update and there is no reason to take it down without having the update patch ready.
True if this site is maintained by Skoda itself.

But this portal seems to be handled by a Services Company and the request is given to the Delivery Manager (DM). The conversation between Skoda and the DM is as follows.

Skoda: We are changing the labour costs and it needs to be updated in the Cost Calculator tool.
DM: It can be done, but we need to raise a CR (Change Request). Will get back to you when done.
DM: goes to slumber
Skoda: It has been a week, we requested for this change, can you please update?
DM: Oh yeah! We raised the CR and wanted to see how big this is?
Skoda: Big?
DM: Yes, as part of this CR, we need to change couple of tables and the data in it.
DM: Since the DB is changing, the underlying JPA architecuture is changing. This Open Source JPA is no more supported and so we need to buy a licensed version of a different JPA tool.
DM: Now since the JPA is new, we are importing(relocating) a new set of developers from our technology base region and it takes a month.
DM: Considering all this we are working on the overall cost estimate, which is hovering at 5.15 Lakhs.
DM: Since, you are our loyal customer, we will be giving a discount of 15K, which brings down the estimate to 5 Lakhs. Additionally, we are giving you a free service coupon.
DM: With the service coupon, you can have your application rebooted for free with in a year.
Skoda: Thinking, whether they need this Service Calculator Tool. Will get back to you on the request.

The service calculator tool is now 404.

But, Why did the DM do this?

It his personal experience owning a Skoda.

DM:I have covered some 80K Kms in this Skoda and thinking its time to change the coolant.
Skoda: Yes for sure. Let me raise an estimate for the job.
DM: Sure.
Skoda: Gives an estimate of 1.5 lakhs
DM: 1.5 Lakhs for a coolant change?
Skoda: Yes. Since the coolant is new, the engine will be relieved from more heat. Now the engine oil and the transmission oil are used to a high temperature and this low temperature will spoil the oils.
Skoda: Both the transmission and the engine oil will be changed.
Skoda: We will update the software for the radiator fan to limit its run. Extend the timing. Advantage less fan noise
Skoda: Now with the new oil, engine will run smoothly and fastly and the brakes cannot handle this speed. We will change the brake oil.
Skoda: Along With the new brake oil, brake pads will also be changed for better braking. Advantage, you brake before others brake.
Skoda: We need to check if the brake rotors will be able to accommodate the new brake pads. If required we will change it and provide you a new estimate.
Skoda: For a better feel, we recommend you to change all the four tires to Run flat tire to match this new speed. Advantage, you will never go flat.
Skoda: Tip - Please ride on a smooth tarmac. No potholes
DM: Faints and he is given some cool drink to regain conscious.
DM: I will look into the DIY section of T-Bhp and change the coolant myself.

Note: the above is purely fictional and meant no offence to any one.
saisree is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 17:17   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
True if this site is maintained by Skoda itself.

But this portal seems to be handled by a Services Company and the request is given to the Delivery Manager (DM). The conversation between Skoda and the DM is as follows.
Note: the above is purely fictional and meant no offence to any one.

Awesome, nailed it, until about halfway through, I almost thought this was a real chat transcript.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTrippin View Post
It is interesting that he seems to be looking to change their customer service responsiveness but is reflective of a corporate culture that has been rooted in lethargy, won't be an easy change. .......something that gives me pause as a potential customer.
Even I have been tweeting about this, not even a courtesy acknowledgement as yet.
Old 1st March 2021, 20:26   #72
BHPian

The Skoda service cost calculator page is online again.

https://www.skoda-auto.co.in/aid/ser...ost-calculator

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks