Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2013, 11:21   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: HM launches the Ambassador Encore (BSIV Diesel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
^ Only the 1.5L BS4 on amby is N,A. The 2.0L BS3 vairant is turbo-ed.
As company's website (http://www.hmambassador.com/tech-specs-2.0-dsz.asp)the 2L diesel mill generates 50 bhp max . Actually their most powerful engine is the 1.8L petrol generating 71 bhp, marginally more than 1L petrol mills which sell the most. I believe adding a boot to cars like Wagon-R & Santro Xing can wok wonders for the taxi segment rather than flogging a dead horse in the name of nostalgia (which can be actually be done by supporting the A.S.S. for old cars already on road).

IMO the company should stop making cars & also stop hiring new manpower. All the functions can be easily handled by the old team, which will soon retire, or by team handling HM-Mitsu functions. At best, Birlas can make money by modernizing the facilities & letting Mitsu & Isuzu use the same for their vehicles, which are much more profitable.
Old 2nd September 2013, 13:44   #17
Senior - BHPian

Among all modern cars, I still believe that Amby can continue to stand up and stand out. The new BS IV engine (with whatever power it is producing) is still going to provide a hastle free and comfortable ride to the pessengers.

Let Amby play with this new engine. I am sure someone might get an idea to make NA engine into a Turbo Charged engine with some modifications for power hungary yet retro look personal buyers.

I would like to wait and watch, I am sure a better looking yet retro body design and engine might get place in Amby and will find a new breed of buyers for this one mean machine, which is still finding buyers across the globe.

Cheers
Old 2nd September 2013, 13:46   #18
Senior - BHPian

Ambassadors are to the car world what Bullets are to the two wheelers. Inefficient rattlers but still going strong due to their comfort and old school loyalists..
Old 2nd September 2013, 14:24   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Ambassadors are to the car world what Bullets are to the two wheelers. Inefficient rattlers but still going strong due to their comfort and old school loyalists..
Don't think this comparison is correct. LOTS of people - retail customers - buy the Enfield bullet and use it for commuting, touring, etc.

Who is buying the Ambassador?
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2013, 16:45   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: HM launches the Ambassador Encore (BSIV Diesel)

I don't think too much of HM, but have to say this: It's quite the feat to get a naturally-aspirated diesel to meet BSIV emission norms.

From the back of my head, I can't think of any other N/A diesel that meets BSIV.

The Ambassador simply refuses to die! to all the comments on its rear bench safety. Few cars come close.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2013, 16:51   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It's quite the feat to get a naturally-aspirated diesel to meet BSIV emission norms.
Naturally aspirated and indirect injection too!
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2013, 16:52   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It's quite the feat to get a naturally-aspirated diesel to meet BSIV emission norms.

From the back of my head, I can't think of any other N/A diesel that meets BSIV.
As far as I know, it is a push rod engine and is indirect injection.

Is it possible to have a Team BHP official review of the Ambassador?
Old 2nd September 2013, 19:00   #23
Senior - BHPian

If i am not wrong, it was voted as the World's best taxi in a Top gear show!

I drove the 1.5 diesel when i visited Kerala 4-5 years ago, it was tough for me to drive the beast ( I was driving a padmini back then ).

The angle at which brake and clutch pedals came out , it would make your ankles sore in no time.

But i still miss those lovely bonnet scoops that Amby and Padmini had.
Old 2nd September 2013, 21:13   #24
Team-BHP Support

Does this actually make sense?

Leave aside the sentiment and the nostalgia.. what's unique/drastically better in the Amby?

Taxi/cab operators across India have moved on to better products like Accent (esp. in NCR), Indigo Marina (Meru), Logan. Santro and Swift Dzire are there as well. Not to mention, the all-time favorites like Innova, Tavera and the likes.

I mean, what is HM thinking? Sure, the Amby will sell (we Indians can be suckers for the novelty) but in what numbers?!

And honestly, I'm surprised so many are proud of the Amby being voted the best taxi in the world on Top Gear. I love the show, i love the charades the 3 clowns put up, but c'mon, it is just that - a show!
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2013, 21:33   #25
BHPian

HM has proven its strength by giving a car which is the best bet for indian roads, the rear suspension of ambey gives a smooth wave like effect. I love ambey as a taxi, and combined with its antique looks its really great.
Old 2nd September 2013, 22:50   #26
Senior - BHPian

One more picture from rediff.com. The car comes with the No Refusal written on the sides. No Refusal Taxis would soon be implemented in Kolkata. Basically, these taxis will not refuse a ride even during midnight, bad weather conditions, bandhs and rallies.
HM launches the Ambassador Encore (BSIV Diesel)-02ambassador2.jpg
These taxis will have the words 'No Refusal' on their sides and will have a blue-white colour combo.

Last edited by rajeev k : 2nd September 2013 at 22:51.
rajeev k is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2013, 23:37   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
But there is a reason why bullet is such a hit in the market, it is more powerful when compared with commuter bikes and has some characteristics which can't be matched by any other bike on the market.

Yes, Ambassador has its own charm, but the engine is just extremely under-powered.

If Ambassador wants to make a proper update, they need to get a more powerful engine(should have SUV spec engine,like 2.5L with 140+Bhp) and upgraded brakes,suspension and other things which will make the drive more pleasurable.
Old 2nd September 2013, 23:42   #28
BHPian

For everyone harping about the poverty stricken power output of the ambassador, there is always the v12 ambierod

Just paint it white with a blue stripe running across it to make it look inocuous. Pick up a fare and....
Attached Thumbnails
HM launches the Ambassador Encore (BSIV Diesel)-ambierod.jpg  

Old 3rd September 2013, 11:47   #29
BHPian

This will be the best vehicle to modify after a remap. Upgrade the suspension, wheels, and a good replacement turbo with higher boost and its a killer package, would be a pity with the aerodynamics at least.

Nevertheless at stage 2 and 3 the possibilities of weight reduction would be ample, I will prefer this car to tour India rather than a complicated and heavy on body damage repair Japanese or similar car.
Old 3rd September 2013, 17:29   #30
BHPian

All
Not too sure if you have seen this. But this was something i picked up through facebook. Having owned 1 amby as we like to call it and driven a few of them for a long time, i consider them to be one of the safest cars. Now if only they could modify the interiors and give it a real premium feel. But please don't lose the space and maybe its time to bring back a single front bench with steering mounted gearshifts

The best taxi in the world

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks