Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2013, 09:47   #1
BHPian

Vehicle registration in Kerala: PAN card made compulsory

PAN DETAILS MUST FOR REGISTERING VEHICLES IN KERALA

The motor vehicle dept has made it mandatmandatory to produce the copy of the PAN card of the owners for registration of new vehicles that cost more than Rs5 lakhs.

New Norms.
1.Those who go to register their vehicles should submit a copy of the PAN card attested by a gazette officer .
2. The IT dept can track the vehicle owners major cash detalings and know if they evade tax declaration formalities
3. officers who fail to collect copies of PAN cards from owners would have to face legal action.
4. PAN details not compulsory for temporary registartion.
5. RTO's told to send across the form 60s submitted to them till september 30 . The practice was to give details in form 60 in the absence of PAN cards.
Source: Times of India

This rule is goin to affect a wide section of the population including NRIs n women who usually dont have PAN card. There are advantages to track down people with high income who evade taxs. But it affects another section of a society too..

Last edited by GTO : 16th September 2013 at 15:54.
AB@TVMBHP is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 10:48   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB@TVMBHP View Post
PAN DEIAILS MUST FOR REGISTERING VEHICLES IN KERALA

The motor vehicle dept has made it mandatmandatory to produce the copy of the PAN card of the owners for registration of new vehicles that cost more .
This rule is in vogue in AP since a few years. However two wheelers are exempted though for all four wheelers irrespective of cost, PAN is mandatory.

Also, second four wheeler is taxed 14%. Regular tax is 12%.
simplyself is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 10:54   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Vehicle registration in Kerala: PAN card made compulsory

Quote:

This rule is goin to affect a wide section of the population including NRIs n women who usually dont have PAN card. There are advantages to track down people with high income who evade taxs. But it affects another section of a society too..
Affect another section of society? Who all?
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 11:02   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Affect another section of society? Who all?
Well its not mandatory for NRIs to have a PAN card and also for women who are housewifes they wont have the PAN card and also students. Now every one who have to take a good car will have to take the PAN card.
Old 16th September 2013, 11:20   #5
BANNED

Has been like that in UP for ages!!
Old 16th September 2013, 11:38   #6
BHPian

In Bangalore you could get your land registered without PAN and ID proof, no one checks, let alone vehicles.
Its a good move.
Old 16th September 2013, 11:47   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansvk View Post
In Bangalore you could get your land registered without PAN and ID proof, no one checks, let alone vehicles.
Its a good move.
I think this goes in almost all states. People can buy land and gold by carrying cash in plastic bags. Why is this not being checked? This gives rise to speculation that Govt. is not serious on curbing black money circulation. However, for petty things you need a PAN card. How strange! Soon we will be required to produce PAN card while buying vegetables.

Last edited by pgsagar : 16th September 2013 at 11:50.
Old 16th September 2013, 11:55   #8
Senior - BHPian

A step in the right direction

Obtaining a PAN these days is a very simple job. It should hardly take a week or two if all your documents are in order.

Quote:
Well its not mandatory for NRIs to have a PAN card and also for women who are housewifes they wont have the PAN card and also students. Now every one who have to take a good car will have to take the PAN card.
The main objective of linking PAN to your vehicle purchase is to trace the source of funds that is deployed in buying the asset.

It is also wrong to say that PAN is not mandatory for NRI's, Housewives and students. Anybody who has got any taxable income in India ought to have a PAN irrespective of whether you are a NRI or not. There are few more technical points in the list, which I would like to reserve for another thread.

Moreover, the revised KYC norms in Banks require that you must have a PAN to open your account.

Just wondering about the number of people who can afford a 5 Lac+ vehicle and yet not have a bank account/ Taxable income.

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 16th September 2013 at 12:01.
Warwithwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2013, 14:33   #9
BHPian

Wow!, this community is truly great. I just had a query and thought I should check it out on the website and lo, there is a thread for this, and useful information!!.
I am a returning NRI, from the UK, and have my XUV, ready for registration in Kerala, where the new rules are that the attested PAN card copy is mandatory. Thankfully I had applied for one not so long ago and have one in hand.
Although a bit inconvenient for some, I think this move is a step in the right direction. All money should be accounted for, in all kinds of transactions, which involve a large sum of money, be it land or vehicle. It will take time for the use of the card to become widespread, but its the little steps that keep us moving forward.
Cheers
VK
Old 19th December 2013, 15:01   #10
Senior - BHPian

What is the need to attest the PAN card? This means that a car buyer, who has a taxable income, paying taxes to register his car has to bribe a useless gazetted officer to buy a car. Trust the Kerala government to come up with harassment techniques at the drop of a hat. I am surprised you don't need an attested request form to replace OEM tyres, maybe our hero pencil pushers have this scheme in the pipeline. PAN card holders outnumber taxpayers 30:1 or something, so chances of this scheme catching tax evaders are minimal. Remittances or agricultural income, two of Kerala's biggest income sources are outside the Income Tax umbrella.
Old 19th December 2013, 19:22   #11
BHPian

I agree with the PAN card stuff but attesting it is too much. After all its a government issued card and they can easily check the system to see if its a fake or not.

Now we will have to stand before a gazetted officer and explain to him about the car, features, price and so on.
microaubin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 00:19   #12
Senior - BHPian

Don't we already have a rule that any transaction greater than 50k should have the PAN number quoted?

If housewives or students are not having a PAN, it needs to be clarified as to how they have enough $$$ to buy a new car. If someone else is paying for it, then that information should also be tracked.

I would say its a step in the right direction since I'm among the 'salaried minority' who has to pay every tax that the government levies to subsidize the richer section of the society who claim they are not earning enough to be in the taxable bracket.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 00:57   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@zenren: PAN is always required. If you don't have a PAN, then you need to file Form 60 to declare that you don't have a PAN. You can register the car without PAN provided you file Form 60.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 16:56   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
@zenren: PAN is always required. If you don't have a PAN, then you need to file Form 60 to declare that you don't have a PAN. You can register the car without PAN provided you file Form 60.
Precisely my point. So why is it a news that Kerala RTO insists on PAN details during car registration? Every car costs 50k+ and hence shouldn't every RTO do it as per the existing guidelines of the tax department?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks