Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2013, 16:35   #76
BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea Classic launched at 5.99 Lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
The 1.4 petrol is sluggish only at the bottom end. It has sufficient whack if you keep it on the boil. In fact; on highway drives, it is far from stressed. It has incredible refinement too. If I were cash strapped and needed a large car, can live with some cheap bits on the inside, the classic in petrol guise still makes for a good deal. The Classic is probably lighter than standard Linea's so the 1.4l might work out.

You might want to thank Fiat for not launching the 1.2l in a Linea Classic. Going by some of the things they've done in the past (Siena 1.2l), I was looking forward to the 1.2l engine in a Linea Classic.

Speaking of sluggish engines, the Palio/Punto are no slouches once you get them to the ton. The 1.2's come to life when you are closing on to the ton. This is my personal observation after having driven both cars extensively.
I think the 1.4 FIRE is there only to market the car's starting price tag of 6 lakhs. The main selling point is going to be diesel.
I don't think there will be any taker for 1.4 in any case.
Speed Pujari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2013, 17:02   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Pujari View Post

I think the 1.4 FIRE is there only to market the car's starting price tag of 6 lakhs. The main selling point is going to be diesel.
I don't think there will be any taker for 1.4 in any case.
Something like what Ford did with the base model Ecosport? Interesting, I think you may have something there.

I always thought the petrol was more for the taxi segment, since it only comes in one base variant and can be easily converted to CNG. But then again, Ford did do a very low starting price with the Ecosport base model, which very few people bought (as a Ford dealer told me). But it did get people into showrooms, and how!

What about the increasing preference towards petrol these days, as evidenced by the monthly sales reports on Team-BHP?
Old 30th September 2013, 22:08   #78
BANNED

The only stupid car maker in Indian car industry to launch a car/variant in the so-considered inauspicious pitra-paksh period. No wonder then, this variant too might also add to the fiat-india' bad run. It's disheartening to know that even after so many years of being in indian market they don't know anything about our market, our people , our rituals, etc.
Old 30th September 2013, 23:17   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudh2s View Post
The only stupid car maker in Indian car industry to launch a car/variant in the so-considered inauspicious pitra-paksh period.
Not all believe in such things, let us stick to the topic please.
finneyp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2013, 23:30   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The only stupid car maker in Indian car industry to launch a car/variant in the so-considered inauspicious pitra-paksh period. No wonder then, this variant too might also add to the fiat-india' bad run. It's disheartening to know that even after so many years of being in indian market they don't know anything about our market, our people , our rituals, etc.
Do you think European car manufacturers will care two hoots about auspicious rituals here?

And do you mean to say not even a single car from any manufacturer gets sold during this whatever inauspicious period?

Fiats always had a cult status and following that people who own them only knew and felt. This particular launch is aimed at a different audience to gain market share and set the ground for future critical launches. This is a better buy still than the Amaze/Etios/Dzire likes. My opinion.
DRIV3R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2013, 09:31   #81
Senior - BHPian

I saw the car on road last week on a multilane road. The Linea on those small and narrow wheels look horrid. There is an aching gap between the body and the tyres and the width of the tyre clearly shows from the rear.
Old 1st October 2013, 10:40   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post

Do you think European car manufacturers will care two hoots about auspicious rituals here?

And do you mean to say not even a single car from any manufacturer gets sold during this whatever inauspicious period?

Fiats always had a cult status and following that people who own them only knew and felt. This particular launch is aimed at a different audience to gain market share and set the ground for future critical launches. This is a better buy still than the Amaze/Etios/Dzire likes. My opinion.
I think what he meant was that there would have been no harm if Fiat had waited a few days till the end of the inauspicious period, or even till the beginning of the car buying season, to launch the car. It would probably give the Linea Classic a better chance at market acceptance.

It's not a make or break thing, but then again, every little helps.
Old 1st October 2013, 10:59   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I do not think pitra-paksh period is a pan India phenomena. Moreover, many communities, other than North Indian Hindus do not follow this ritual. For example, South Indian Iyer Brahmins arrange shradh puja on the actual date of death of their ancestor (s), as per my friend & colleague.

Why make an issue when there are other cars/ editions being launched, viz - Polo GT TDI, Alto K10 musik edition, Brio "Exclusive" edition, to name a few.

I feel Fiat is the only one being criticised for this issue, but, the actual reason is quite different - under-powered engines. This is what is hurting Fiat lovers the most IMO, & not the timing of launch.

Last edited by CARDEEP : 1st October 2013 at 11:03.
CARDEEP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2013, 11:02   #84
Senior - BHPian

Maybe , but it should and will probably not have any bearing of the success or failure of the car. If people are interested they will still take a look , they might not buy it during this period but someone really wanting to go in for is will wait 15 days.

Quote:
Old 1st October 2013, 14:10   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Cost is hardly the reason. Manufacturers buy such tyres for 400 - 500 bucks a piece.
I find it hard to believe. Fiat pushes out hardly 1000 cars, that is 5000 tyres, a month. An average tyre retailer does more than that. So if a retailer can get a tyre at 400, which he in turn sells at 4000, then he should be making a 900% profit.

If any tyre dealer BHPians here can confirm the above math, I am quitting my salaried job and starting a tyre dealership.
ecosport is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st October 2013, 17:57   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Actually, the Linea Classic's ride quality will be superior to the regular Linea (15" wheels) and T-Jet (16" wheels).

Reason? Taller sidewall. More rubber = better cushioning. Here's a quick calculation of the sidewall size:

Linea Classic : 119 mm
Linea (15" wheels) : 117 mm
T-Jet : 112.75 mm

Then why does the T Jet have 16" wheels? Apart from the looks, are there any other advantages to a bigger wheel??
The width too is directly proportional to wheel size, I presume.

(Sorry I'm hijacking this thread to enrich my wheel size knowledge)

Last edited by Geo_Ipe : 1st October 2013 at 17:59.
Old 1st October 2013, 18:19   #87
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport View Post
I find it hard to believe. Fiat pushes out hardly 1000 cars, that is 5000 tyres, a month.
Ah, good point! That number was what a brand like Maruti would pay.

Still, fact is, the cost difference for Fiat between a 14" & 15" will be marginal, at best. Real reason is differentiation.

Quote:
An average tyre retailer does more than that.
Correct. But unlike Fiat, the tyre retailer sells a million sizes from multiple brands. The same for Fiat will be limited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Then why does the T Jet have 16" wheels? Apart from the looks, are there any other advantages to a bigger wheel??
Looks, sharper steering & handling etc. Rehaan's excellent write-up offers more detail.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st October 2013, 20:29   #88
Senior - BHPian

Another move made by Fiat in the Indian market and another round of ridicule and advice for Fiat from BHP-ians. So what's new?

When Fiat decided to break their alliance with Tata for sales/service, we heard similar comments about how that was a mistake and so on. However, Fiat sales have been inching up (maybe "millimetering" up is a better term) since they have gone solo (by March '13). Infact they sold 450-odd cars in Aug '12 with the Tata alliance and 1000+ cars in Aug '13 going solo - that too without any new products or any major facelifts to existing products.

I think we should wait a bit, maybe 2-3 months to see how well this move is accepted by the market and to judge whether Fiat has made a mistake.

But I do agree that Fiat now has a much tougher job with the facelifted Linea - to justify the price difference between Linea Classic and facelifted Linea. Externally, they don't look too different. Fiat should bring in differentiation through upgraded interiors and loading the new Linea with features.

I do wonder if the Linea Classic being downgraded to 75HP engine has another motive as well other than keeping costs down. Maybe the base version of the facelifted Linea will use the 90HP engine (to keep its cost and entry price for new Linea down) with the higher versions using the rumoured 1.6L MJD.
Old 1st October 2013, 20:58   #89
Senior - BHPian

The advertisements of the Linea classic are truly disgusting.

"Add a few inches to your chest",

"Feel Big"..

All to do with Indian public for whom any 3 box Sedan is a "status symbol" and a symbol of having being "arrived".
DCEite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2013, 21:06   #90
BHPian

I read the comments posted by fellow BHPians and I do not understand few things:
1. Why make hue and cry about projects that cater to masses, If a buyer has more money (s)he can be catered by a 1.3Emotion Diesel or a TJET.
2. Fiat A.S.S is wonderful and much better than Maruti / TATA A.S.S (I own a Maruti and a Fiat both, so I can comment). They are really focused on customer issues.
3. FIAT bashing is what gets to me, why be unaware about the brand and the quality that these rides possess?

Linea Classic would push the sales of FIAT for sure, hope they clock better numbers
Bazinga is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks