Team-BHP - Rumour: Tata Motors planning 2 SUVs with Land Rover inputs
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Rumour: Tata Motors planning 2 SUVs with Land Rover inputs (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/142203-rumour-tata-motors-planning-2-suvs-land-rover-inputs.html)

Link to News Section

Tata Motors now owns two iconic British brands, Jaguar and Land Rover (JLR), both of which it rescued in 2008 and has since nursed back to profitability. In India, Tata Motors has converted the former Mercedes Benz-Tata factory at Chikali to assemble Land Rover SUVs and Jaguar sedans. Tata Motors is also actively engaged in a higher level of localization for the likes of the Land Rover Freelander2 SUV and the Jaguar XF sedan.

The Indian car and utility vehicle giant was speculated to build the next-generation 2015 Defender in India, while a new engine plant meant for JLR was also due to come up here. For now, these plans have been put on hold. According to a LiveMint report, Tata Motors might still launch two new SUVs in India after 2015, albeit with inputs from Land Rover.

Notably, Tata Motors' plans of building the 2 new SUVs with Land Rover inputs will not be the first instance of the Indian automaker taking assistance of the iconic British SUV brand. The Aria crossover, a massive failure at the hustings, was also developed with inputs from Land Rover.

One of the two new SUVs is expected to be slotted in the 10-15 lakh rupee price bracket while details about the other SUV remain unknown at this point in time. Notably, both the new SUVs that Tata Motors will launch after 2015 will be full sized models (think Safari and the Storme) rather than compact sub-4 meter models. Tata Motors will also launch compact SUVs that will operate in the sub-10 lakh rupee segment.

Also, Land Rover's expertise is likely to be sought only for the full sized SUV duo. The SUVs will form the part of the next-generation range of vehicles that Tata Motors will launch post 2015, under the HORIZONEXT strategy. Tata Motors plans to have an all-new product range by 2020. Until then, existing Tata cars and SUVs will see periodic facelifts.

The car maker is also working on a program to boost quality and reliability of all its products. Coming back to the new SUVs that Tata Motors is said to be be developing, both SUVs will feature the Tata badge only. Also, the platform on which these SUVs will be based upon is not likely to be used by Land Rover.

Tata Motors has ceded market share in the SUV segment to arch-rival Mahindra & Mahindra, despite the automaker being an early mover in this category with the likes of the Sierra and the Safari. Also, newer entrants such as Renault and Ford have gained significant footholds in the compact SUV market in India.

To revamp its SUV business, Tata Motors has hired a former Mahindra product development engineer, Mr. Behram Dhabhar, who was instrumental in developing the Thar, an off roader that has been quite a success as both a lifestyle vehicle as well as a people mover in rural areas.

Now this would be an interesting development to watch for. Both Land Rover and Tata Motors teams will have their own perceptions about an SUV. Coming to a conclusion on their difference will be a daunting task for the group.

I heard the similar problem they faced while launching Safari Storme. Every one from TML's senior team gave suggestions to improve the product and finally landed up in delay in product launch. It was supposed to be launched before Mahindra XUV500 but we all know what happened.

Anyways all the very best for the team.

Even if this is a rumor, there certainly is a churn in the organization.
Hope this will translate into good products at the sales end.
What is bothering the tata motors is that the market has moved on to more quality conscious, cost sensitive and value for money products in the segment. But TATA is stuck in time since Safari.

TATA bailed out JLR as a company. If JLR can return the favor with some super cool product engineering, then possibly we can have Landy in affordable trim too clap:

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayPrashanth (Post 3249100)
To revamp its SUV business, Tata Motors has hired a former Mahindra product development engineer, Mr. Behram Dhabhar, who was instrumental in developing the Thar, an off roader that has been quite a success as both a lifestyle vehicle as well as a people mover in rural areas.

Although the statement is a little manipulated, as when Mr Dhabhar was hired, Tata was still waking up to the potential of the Thar. Now with a few Thar's on road, probably Tata just realised that one of the creators of it is in their rolls. He had been trying to put his point across to the management at Tata about the platforms they readily have on a platter that can easily be leveraged and utilised to create a much better Thar. Hopefully now he has been given some freedom to wield his wand.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1100D (Post 3249213)
Although the statement is a little manipulated, as when Mr Dhabhar was hired, Tata was still waking up to the potential of the Thar. Now with a few Thar's on road, probably Tata just realised that one of the creators of it is in their rolls. He had been trying to put his point across to the management at Tata about the platforms they readily have on a platter that can easily be leveraged and utilised to create a much better Thar. Hopefully now he has been given some freedom to wield his wand.

That way, they already have a very good Tata sumo in 4WD which is being sold to Army. This could be better than Mahindra Bolero 4x4.

Please try to bring in a new improved Tata sierra with a dicor engine and a 4wd transmission into the market. With this , they will be able to get back some of their ex customers back, including me. Hope they do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRC (Post 3249220)
That way, they already have a very good Tata sumo in 4WD which is being sold to Army. This could be better than Mahindra Bolero 4x4.

Precisely my point. Besides this, they have mated the chassis of the Army Sumo 4WD with the Gold's 3.0/3.0 Dicor for an armoured vehicle, a platform that would be a killer on the Offroad scenes, with minimal modification to the body work, as the Sumo (with original lights and grille) looks handsome anyway.

Quote:

Link to News Section

Land Rover's expertise is likely to be sought only for the full sized SUV duo. The SUVs will form the part of the next-generation range of vehicles that Tata Motors will launch post 2015, under the HORIZONEXT strategy.

The car maker is also working on a program to boost quality and reliability of all its products.

I hope Tata Motors are successful in pulling off their strategy effectively. New Program being launched to improve quality of products & its reliability, centralized procurement of spares from selected vendors are all steps in the right direction. Looking forward to the brand making a comeback in the top 3 position in near future. clap:

Quote:

Link to News Section

Isn't Mr Behram on Team BHP?, I have read a lot of posts by some one using that name. It could be him since he is a distinguished member.

Mr. Behram Sir, if you are listening, please please please get the defender to India at an affordable price. The Thar is a beauty, I see one parked near my home every day, black colour with silver alloys clap:, but even though I lust for that car it is not practical for me. It is a soft top for one so not very versatile as a daily car and the interiors are spartan at best. I understand the rationale but imagine for a second here, even a little bump up in interiors say even indica levels and we will have such a thing of beauty both inside an out.
You will be a legend for doing this, roses will fall from the skies and champagne will flow on the streets. stupid:

Please Sir, write the next chapter in the evolution of the Jeep/Defender based/type lifestyle vehicle.

I sincerely hope that TATAs would move towards a monocoque construction which would reduce the weight by close to 400 or 500 kg over the body on ladder construction, which will result in a better power to weight ratio leading to better performance and better fuel efficiency. Look at XUV 500 and its performance in the rallies. It seems to be outperforming hatch backs and sedans.

TATA engines are good and their gear boxes have improved and with JLR's inputs they could be even better.
Their interiors have also improved and that leaves the exterior design and the chassis. Reliability has improved over the years. My third TATA vehicle which is a 18 month old VIsta, has been without any niggles till date. But I can't say the same about the service quality.:Frustrati

The Tata's have been in the SUV space for ages now, but somehow can't seem to get their act together. Some of their products have been iconic and I know many people who still swear by the Estate and Sierra.

Lets hope that things take a turn for the better at Tata motors, it would indeed be interesting to see some new improved offerings from them. Keeping my fingers and toes crossed.

Tata has not tapped into the JLR connection enough for its own products. Either it is happening too slowly or nowhere near enough, by choice or otherwise. The fortunes of Tata have reversed after the JLR takeover and vice versa. Then again, who better to help out with SUV expertise than LR! Just hope it comes out sooner rather than later.

Dont you guys think what they need more from JLR would be aesthetics/build aspect? They are fine mechanically or at par with Mahindra in the chassis/mechanicals as far as I think.

Its high time TATA should re-introduce the Sierra. It was one of the best SUV of its time.
Still with little modification (read rounding off the rough edges) and introducing a new fuel efficient DICOR engine with a smooth Gear Box the Sierra could give Duster/Ecosport/Scorpio run for its money.
I would urge all the Sierra fans here to use all the available social platforms to make their voice heard. You guys have already done it on T-bhp with the Thar. Now replicate it for the Sierra. :thumbs up

It is not a simple job getting JLR engineers to suddenly help in designing a product for TATA. Do keep in mind JLR is a luxury brand and people working there are used to doing things the best way even if it means costs are high. Now suddenly these same people are asked to do their job but with severe component cost constraints. They might find it a little difficult.

By no means am I implying that its not possible. There are a fair few members questioning why Tata motors has not tapped into the talent pool of JLR. And above mentioned point could be one of the reasons.

Also there seems to be talk on a Tata SUMO 4x4. Well unfortunately for TATA, products like the Sumo Indica and Indigo varients have a "Taxi" tag on them. in my opinion if they are to succeed in mimicking M&Ms success then they cannot use product names that have a strong association with the Taxi segment.