Team-BHP - Is the time ripe for some good sporty and peppy cars?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Is the time ripe for some good sporty and peppy cars? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/14451-time-ripe-some-good-sporty-peppy-cars.html)

Just wondering, with the quality of roads (highways) improving slowly, is it right time we have some good sporty cars....not referring to the high end porsche's and ferrari's...just few like the type R civic, (preview on top gear mag), some GTi's like Golf.... or even the swift sports... and ofcourse the palio 1.8R... (mainly in the 6-12L range)
I remember, Brazil even has a turbo petrol version of the UNO (red seat belts...cool alloys) ....really rocks... have been in one.... everywhere we see sports models at all segments....

We just seem to be getting plain vanilla sedans and hatches and the rhino rovers...... and there is no sign of any new such launches.... :Frustrati

There shall be many launches soon. The million dollar question will be how many will sell??

Where are the quality roads you are talking about?? Mumbai - Pune express highway?? Where else? The government announced reduced tax on entry level cars. But no big allocation or plans for road improvements!!!

Where will we drive these peppy cars if we will ever afford to buy them. (I regularily drive a yellow Ferrari Spider im my dreams)

India hasn't grown yet....:Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by mail4ajo

Where will we drive these peppy cars if we will ever afford to buy them. (I regularily drive a yellow Ferrari Spider im my dreams)

"Drive a yellow Ferrari in my dreams!" rl: Good one man!

In my dreams, I have a secret atomizer gun to vaporize all that come in front of my car rl:

we have a growing automotive market that has been growin ever since......at least now we r getting to see some new or upgraded models coming out regulary.....greatfull for that......where the sports and suped versions all a distant dreams...............

some bikes for a change please, for the rich kids who want to go fast we have the rs, vtec, etc, what about the poor bikers, all they can do is go easy on fuel, or stick to some zzziiiinnggggg 2 strokers from the 80 s and 90 s, lastly go thumping on some super old tech!!
we certainly need a decent 400/600 to be atleast around their 4 wheeled counterparts such as the audis, maybachs, phantoms now, etc

manson.

well, there are some decent performance cars which are getting released in india, though not in their full blown version.

I agree. Bigger bikes are a better answer to the performance question than cars at this stage of our transport system. More cost effective, and easier to enjoy (also easier to get killed in, but then.....)

Yes , it is time for some sporty and peppy cars to head our way ... As to where would one drive them , well what are speedruns and track days for ??? Isnt that what these cars are meant for ??

PS : Comeon , the roads atleast in bangalore (i mean the happening places) aint bad at all ..

We blast the manufacturers for not giving us performance cars but why should they when most Indians are not too bothered with the boring task of driving their own cars. Lets face it, most Indians look at cars as a means of getting from point A to B and as status symbols. I am sure there are plenty of Octavia Rs's that are chauffer driven. Why even look at premium sedans? I have seen countless chauffer driven M800's!

Even if we get roads as good as the German autobahns, Indians would'nt want to drive their own cars. Most Indians are not car or driving fans and most, even with smooth roads, would never go on a driving weekend holiday. Anyone wants to see a chauffer driven Ferrari? come to India!

Before sportier, peppy cars we need cars with better interiors.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adya33
Before sportier, peppy cars we need cars with better interiors.

That is so true. Even if we do get sportier cars, the interiors are gonna stay dull, boring and bland to keep the price down.
There is a market for sporty cars and bikes, and its about time the companies launched them in India. when i go back to India, i want to be able to buy a good sporty car and bike and not have to undergo all the headache of importing.

There are 2 problems in India
1. Roads. Yes expressways are coming up, but they are still rare and you still can have a tractor with no headlights coming towards you at night on the fast lane
2. Price. The tax structure is so bad that for any sporty car which would cost 12000$ in the US you are looking at 12L+ in India. Now that price will get you a base version of a sporty car. Nobody will buy a sporty swift at 8L. Price/income ratio in India is so badly skewed. Imagine a guy in US earning 60K buying a porsche, it simple does not happen. But thats what we are forced to do here. Buy a car which costs almost as much as our yearly salaries!

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979
There are 2 problems in India
1. Roads. Yes expressways are coming up, but they are still rare and you still can have a tractor with no headlights coming towards you at night on the fast lane
2. Price.

Absolutely!..
And to add to that... If its the speed runs or some rare good roads one's got to drive his car on.... that just says, its a car you don't need for travel at all!

I have been in Bangalore since the past 1 month or so... and only thing I desire here is a HUGE SUV with very good suspension. Pathetic is a word that explains Bangalore's traffic/ road condition in a very polite manner.

So bottom line is that neither we in most parts of India are ready for any high end cars nor is the Govt. willing to move in that direction.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amit
I am sure there are plenty of Octavia Rs's that are chauffer driven.

agree: I have seen three chauffer driven rs' and i personally know the owner of one of them..

Fuel prices another big factor. Even if these cars launch customers will first enquire "What is the mileage please:?