Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2013, 21:14   #1
BHPian

Hyundai: Grande i10-based MPV?

Overdrive has done a story claiming that they have spotted an all new MPV from Hyundai stable. According to them this new MPV shares platform with Hyundai Grande i10. I am absolutely clueless about this new animal. Here are the excerpts from the story.

The car doesn’t seem very large and looks almost like a stretched Grand i10. It isn’t very tall either but close impression will show that the side window line has a deviation to mask the length of the body. The car features regular doors unlike the sliding type and it doesn’t look quite as large as the Ertiga. The design itself is very smart with large tail lamps and plenty of curves qualifying to the company’s current design philosophy. While we couldn’t get a picture we did see the front of the car and it follows the family face with a large hexagonal grille taking the centre stage.

More at source. Looks like Hyundai's R&D is buzzing with new products..
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai: Grande i10-based MPV?-hyundai-i10-grande-mpv.jpg  

MaxTorque is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 13th December 2013, 21:26   #2
RSR
Senior - BHPian

re: Hyundai: Grande i10-based MPV?

That's a fantastic catch by OD! Thanks for sharing, MaxTorque!

But, an MPV on the Grand i10 platform, and so soon at that? Without any kind of camouflage? Sounds a bit baffling.

I was reminded of a small MPV that Hyundai sell in Europe called the ix20. I went to the gallery of Hyundai UK's website, and it indeed looks like the ix20. Here's a rear three-quarters snap of the ix20 in white colour:

Hyundai: Grande i10-based MPV?-image.jpg

Looks similar, doesn't it? The high and handsome protruding rear bumper, wide horizontal tail lamps, bumper mounted reflectors/fog lamps, rear windscreen, quarter glass and spoiler all look quite similar.

Are Hyundai planning to launch the ix20 here? Doubtful. It could be a test mule for the Hexaspace concept based compact MPV that Hyundai plan to launch in India. This compact MPV could be based on a modified ix20 platform to accommodate 6 or 7 seats.

It would be awesome if Hyundai launch a Grand ix20 in India with 7 seats to take on the Ertiga.

Last edited by RSR : 13th December 2013 at 21:43.
RSR is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 13th December 2013, 22:39   #3
BHPian

All mpvs, except innova is an half hearted attempt. Thanks to our market, that makes these contraptions a success.
I've driven xylo extensively and seen ertiga in family.
Xylo has powerful engine, but rolls worse than a boat.
Ertiga suffers from low powered engine, and is terrible with 7 adults and luggage on top... It can hardly climb uphill or overtake, with full load.
Eeco, Omni are prefect recipe for unsafe vehicle..

If hyundai plans to stretch Grande, with same engine, it will be no different than an ertiga.

But for all that I know, it may sell well and even bag dozen awards.
Old 13th December 2013, 22:44   #4
BHPian

Thanks for sharing. The car looks good.

3 possibilities:
- Maruti way of keeping customers within the brand by having overlapping products. Doesn't make sense with current market scenario anyways.
- Testing the platform for the upcoming MPV, an Ertiga competitor.
- Just testing it here (remember Picanto was tested here?) as it could be manufactured and exported to some other markets like UK.

Picanto
Old 13th December 2013, 23:18   #5
Senior - BHPian

Picanto was tested for the diesel engine in use now with the Grand i10. No clue why is the Ix20 here. Seems to be good alternative to the Grand i10 and i20.
Old 14th December 2013, 02:16   #6
BHPian

Ertiga Competitor?
Looks decent enough. The Grand i10's sedan version is inevitable, this one (ix20) seems a little too cannibalizing to be brought to the market.
Old 14th December 2013, 06:13   #7
Senior - BHPian

It looks good (the little that could be seen). Maybe they would put the i20 diesel engine into it? The i10 Grand 3 pot might not be able to do the job on this.
Old 15th December 2013, 09:38   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
I was reminded of a small MPV that Hyundai sell in Europe called the ix20
Small MPV? By Indian standards, this will be a big car

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilenow View Post
Ertiga Competitor?
The car looks deceptively small but surprisingly, the dimensions of the ix20 is very very similar to the ertiga. Will be a really good option to have and might attract folks who are buying lower variants of ecosport/duster as the only other option is the non sporty boxy looking Ertiga
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks