Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2006, 00:26   #1
BANNED

Karnataka Driving Licence

Guys,

Please tell me how to get a licence Easily but Legally.

I went to RTO - wasted my time with no luck!

I have a valid USA licence and all other papers etc. and I can drive better than most other people on the road ! (when i say better, I mean safer, not faster)

Please help - what can i do to get the licence quick - until then I cannot buy a car.

I am a citizen of India. thanks.

Last edited by microhit : 26th June 2006 at 00:31.
Old 26th June 2006, 00:47   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

This is a diff question
Dont know if RTO here will consider your US licence. Get a learning licence here, [which shouldnt be difficult], and which will allow you to drive, and then get a car too.

My personal experience - we returnees need to un-learn those driving skills, and learn dodging skills. Dodging two-wheelers, auto's, call-center cabs, pedestrians, the works ... and when you get through all those, the pot holes and the bumps
Old 26th June 2006, 08:08   #3
Team-BHP Support

Suggest you go to the AASI in the India Garage complex, St Marks Road. Become a member and they will advise and assist you. They helped me out 10 years ago!
Old 26th June 2006, 11:17   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha
Hi Ajmat
What are the procedures & pre requisites to become a member of AASI. How abt the fees. Please explain
More info here

http://www.aasindia.org/aasi/branches.htm
Old 26th June 2006, 11:20   #5
Senior - BHPian

or go to any driving school ...they will help you get a driving license
Old 26th June 2006, 12:49   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
Get the life membership if you join - helps..
Hadnt suggest AASI for your stuff because I wasnt sure, but it really helps once you are a member.
Old 26th June 2006, 13:09   #7
BHPian

Hi,,

Contact any driving school,. There is Santro Driving school in Koramangala near BDA complex. Just ask them, They will do it.
Old 17th October 2010, 10:12   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post

This link has changed. You can get the same info here - Automobile Association of Southern India - AASI Services
Old 17th October 2010, 13:37   #9
BHPian

My suggestion,
Just go to the RTO in your area, start asking questions. The process and forms are available here Transport Department.
You will encounter many touts and the junior staff who will claim to get your work done faster if you pay them some money, but its your call. I think it can be done without paying anything. I had this pleasant experience of applying for a duplicate driving license this week. My original one had got mutilated and I was sitting on it, thinking that since I don't know kannada too well, and am not a native by birth, i will be given a hard time and made to run around. But then this week, actually on tuesday , i bit the bullet, and went to the RTO office. Asked around. Ensured that I speak to the official looking guys and they all gave me correct info. Although I was made to wait, and do somethings which don't make sense to private enterprise employees like us, but guess thats how the govt works. But i did manage to submit application successfully and came home and started to wait.
And voila...I had my brand new smart card in my post on saturday afternoon. Now, is that a new speed record or what.
Another suggestion is that you take a print out of the procedure from the site I have given you. And every time someone tells you otherwise, just put it up and ask them , why are they giving wrong information. There are a lots of changes happened in the govt depts in the last few years, and I think its do-able. In case you need any extra info regarding the RTO i went to (Bangalore South, Jayanagar), PM me.
Old 17th October 2010, 19:16   #10
BHPian

Go through driving school. I just took license few weeks back, and every applicant came through some driving school. The nexus has made it sort of mandatory, which is a sad thing really. You have to go through a lot of hassles to procure your licence if you go on your own.
Old 17th October 2010, 20:53   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
Go through driving school. I just took license few weeks back, and every applicant came through some driving school. The nexus has made it sort of mandatory, which is a sad thing really. You have to go through a lot of hassles to procure your licence if you go on your own.
Spectre, thought it makes easy to go through a driving school, but in Bangalore RTOs i have seen things are not too difficult to get the work done. It does take some mount of waiting time, but still its not mandatory to go through driving schools. I agree in chennai RTOs, its far best option to go through driving school, but same is not the case with Bangalore RTOs.

-Ravi
Old 18th October 2010, 09:03   #12
BHPian

Since you have already been to an RTO and tried doing things on your own, the best possible solution should be to get help from a driving school. You may also 'learn' how to survive on the roads here in the process (assuming you havent driven much here). Driving here is a lot different than in US.

My experience with RTOs in bangalore has been pretty pleasant. You need to have some time on your hands and try to get as much info beforehand from websites or friends etc as possible. I may be wrong but the touts near the RTOs didnt seem to have much influence at the counters anyway. Most people at the counter know English and are reasonably courteous and there are lots of common people at the counters and you are not hounded by only touts around you.

Disclaimer: My assessment of RTO is relative to what I had faced in Delhi.
Old 18th October 2010, 09:11   #13
Senior - BHPian

Go to the RTO and do it yourself. Its easier than what you think. Also, it helps being in touch with the system rather than being isolated from it. It shouldn't take more than a hour for you realize.
There will be information pasted with requirements (documents) for various things.
Old 18th October 2010, 09:19   #14
Team-BHP Support

Guys, you are replying to a 4 year old question.
Old 18th October 2010, 09:29   #15
BHPian

It takes a minimum of 40 days to get a driving license, so you cannot get it quickly.
First step: Get a learner's license. Documents you need, one address proof ( if you have a rental agreement, then you need to take the original electricity bill ), your birth proof ( Class X certificate should do for this ), your identity proof. Pay the fee of Rs. 30 in the counter and get in the queue to verify your documents.

Once those documents are verified, you need to go to the room where the written exam for learner's license is taking place. The exam is a piece of cake and you shouldn't have any problems if you know the road signs.

Once you cleared the test, you need to visit the RTO again the next day in the evening at around 4 PM and collect your learner's license. Now, you need to wait for one month to take the driving test.

For the driving test, it would be better if you have a car registered on your name. In some RTO's , you need to take an appointment beforehand for the particular date. You need to take the RC, Road Tax, Emission certificate of the car you will be using for the test, fill up Form 4 , pay Rs. 250 fee ( 50 for the driving test and the rest for the smart card ) and also take some identity proof ( although it may not be necessary, the key is to be ready for anything ). You also need to put all these documents in one folder and get an envelope with Rs 15 worth stamps attached. Then you need to get in the queue for verifying the documents ( this is a different queue to the first one and is much smaller ). Also, if the car is not registered on your name, then you need a letter from the owner that he/she has given the car to you for the driving test and that he/she will take complete responsibility incase of any untoward incident. Also, don't forget to stick the 'L' stickers on the front and back of the car on the glass. They are available in the shops near the RTO.

Once the documents are verified, you need to wait till 12:30 or 1 PM when the driving inspector comes for the test. If you clear the test, they will post the driving license to your address using the envelope that you had attached with the application. If you fail, you need to come back again after 7 days ( remember, it is after 7 days, not on the 7th day).

This is all from my personal experience in Bangalore RTO. If you think it is too much of a hassle, go to a driving school. Some of them charge only for the driving license ( around 1000 Rs. ) if you don't want to undergo any training. Although you will still have to take the tests yourselves, it is much easier if you go through them, coz it looks like everyone gets their cut from them and the test is much easier for the people going through them.

Last edited by Samurai : 18th October 2010 at 12:06. Reason: this is very good info, let's not delete it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks