Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2013, 13:31   #46
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Volkswagen discontinues the Passat!

Is the Passat on sale or not? Nope. For one, there have been zero factory dispatches of the Passat since October. We spoke to 3 different VW dealers from Mumbai and all of them state that new Passats are no longer available. A Chembur dealer has a couple of 2012-build Passats (at a heavy discount), thus confirming that the model has been slow-selling for a while now. They were quick to add that the all-new 8th generation Passat will go on sale sometime in 2014.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th December 2013, 14:50   #47
Senior - BHPian

There is an online news item that Passat HAS NOT been discontinued. I wonder if it makes a difference at all?
Old 27th December 2013, 16:00   #48
BHPian

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/27981538.cms

Here is the official release.
Old 28th December 2013, 10:29   #49
BHPian

Not sure a press release can make any change in the state of affairs unless dealers are really taking bookings and selling the car.
Old 28th December 2013, 10:43   #50
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolFire View Post
Not sure a press release can make any change in the state of affairs unless dealers are really taking bookings and selling the car.
I agree. This truth will be revealed during the monthly sales data that are given by manufacturers.

If there is massive decline then this news has created a drift off customers to Skoda or Toyota as the sales numbers for them would have gone up.

Anurag.
Old 29th December 2013, 13:31   #51
Team-BHP Support

Let's look at the following business reasons which have led to this.

VW have loads of inventory of Vento's etc
1 Passat = 3 Vento's in value
Some 2012 Passats are still in stock
Skoda own the plant where the Passat is assembled
The minimum production batch is around 20 units I guess, so if you want to order a new Passat, they need to make around 20. God knows if there is a minimum kit order also to be shipped, considering the current inventory situ, it does not look attractive.
Skoda needs all the capacity it needs to clear the Octavia back orders. The dealers have nothing else viable to sell although they might have plenty to repair though!
Similar situation with Audi Q3 S

My guess is until VW clear existing Passat stock, there will be no shipments from the factory. I won't be surprised that if there is any meagre demand, it might be cheaper for VW to import some Passats and swallow the duty than bear the inventory/ production tooling up cost.
ajmat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th December 2013, 14:07   #52
BHPian

Kinda weird that they are tripping over themselves to release statements that the Passat is still bring sold but their sales sheets show a big fat zero! Typical VAG. They simply can't decide things for themselves. The market decides for them instead.
Old 29th December 2013, 15:56   #53
BHPian

>>>

VW China is scoring big in PRC - I saw somewhere (EIU probably) figures of 3 million units sold /can be sold there. VW might well be focussed more there vis-a vis India.

Car buying as in many purchase decision, has an evolutionary lifecycle, basis incomes, status, longevity of wealth & personal tastes.

If I were a gomba or newly arrived professional/businessman, I would go for the small X1/3/2 Series/C Class/ A3/A4. If I were fabulously rich I might opt for the larger teutons. If I am an oligarch, I might prefer the charms of an RR/Bentley/Maser. However if I am rich and do not care what the world thinks, I might drive a Passat or a Phaeton or maybe, horror of horrors a Logan!

For must of us in India, we are in the stage where two strands play - sticker price & snob value. These two primarily influence our purchase decisions, and running costs.
Passat is unable to address these influences adequately; neither is Accord.

Regards
issigonis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2013, 16:35   #54
BHPian

A couple of years back I happened to suggest a friend of mine the Passat, the car impressed her & she bought it & now even I can relate to all those Passat owners who are left wondering what kind of price would they get at the time of selling with all this 'discontinued & not discontinued' news going around because it was me who suggested her the passat.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks