Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2014, 15:51   #31
BHPian

Re: Motor Vehicles Act - Improvements proposed: Higher fines, Reflectors on Bicycles,

I wonder how everyone missed this - BUILD BETTER ROADS FIRST, then talk about fines and other nonsense!

The kind of accelerated wear n tear that happens to the vehicles that we own, thanks to the world-class condition of our 'highways', already drains out quite a chunk of moolah from our wallets! And I absolutely despise wannabe loudmouths who go, "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country!"; yes, I asked myself and myself replied, "I PAY TAXES!"

Road laws, just like the Indian judiciary, are a joke. Period.
Have you guys checked out what the ban of mobile phone usage during driving rule actually states? It says that neither are you allowed to use your cell phone while you're at the wheel, nor can you use it inside the vehicle when you've pulled over to a safe spot by the side of the road. If such is the case, then why does Indian law allow manufacturers to produce vehicles equipped with bluetooth and phone synchronisation and steering mounted call-answer and call-drop buttons? Don't find it strange?

And traffic police? The lesser said about them, the better. There was an incident when I got pulled over and the guy tried to prove that I was driving a stolen vehicle!

There's just too many flaws in the system of this country. And it's gonna take a whole lotta time to make the necessary changes.
MARCUS_520i is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2014, 17:16   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
The idea of a larger fine is to make the offender feel the pinch more. If the cops continue to take the same bribe money despite the fine going up 10x - then that will be a ...

cya
R
Well if the fine is 300 the bribe is usually 50 or 100 at a pinch. When the fine goes up to 10000, nobody would take 100 to forego a bigger chunk of the pie. The bribes will go up. Say about 1k. Now a habitual offender doesn't mind paying 100 a few days in a month. But 1k will surely make some significant dwnt in his wallet.

I also think there should be a punishment where people jumping signals or not wearing seat belts or talking on phone while driving should be made to disembark from the vehicle and made to do sit ups on the road. In full view of the other law abiding citizens.

Last edited by honeybee : 25th January 2014 at 17:18.
Old 26th January 2014, 18:29   #33
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)
Re: Motor Vehicles Act - Improvements proposed: Higher fines, Reflectors on Bicycles,

The problems are not only with the laws. It is the implementation and enforcement that is poor.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2014, 22:59   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Well if the fine is 300 the bribe is usually 50 or 100 at a pinch. When the fine goes up to 10000, nobody would take 100 to forego a bigger chunk of the pie. The bribes will go up. Say about 1k. Now a habitual offender doesn't mind paying 100 a few days in a month. But 1k will surely make some significant dwnt in his wallet.

I also think there should be a punishment where people jumping signals or not wearing seat belts or talking on phone while driving should be made to disembark from the vehicle and made to do sit ups on the road. In full view of the other law abiding citizens.
Have you also considered that with an increase in fine (as you said for example 10000 Rs), more and more corrupt policemen will start illegally framing people in false cases/offenses to collected higher bribes? Who will keep a check on these rats?
Old 24th February 2014, 14:12   #35
BHPian

The improvements proposed in the Motor Vehicle Act has gain hit the road block and has failed to clear the Lok Sabha Hurdle.

Now with no option, the ministry is likey to push for an ordinance before poll dates are announced.

This has been reported by The Times of India.

Here is the link to the News Item;

http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Defau...&ViewMode=HTML
mints21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2014, 09:38   #36
BHPian

In one of the major developments the centre had deleted the section 93 of CMVR 1989 which brings an immediate ban on vehicles from carrying rods, pipes or any protruding material beyond the body frames.

The road transport ministry has deleted the provision on the Central Motor Vehicle Rules that allowed protrusions upto one meter.

The misuse of this provision has resulted in 9100 deaths in 28217 road accidents in the year 2012 alone.
mints21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2014, 11:28   #37
BHPian

Has there been any progress with this Amendment Act? I'm really interested in this since I'm a law student and I'm studying the MVA, 1988 at this very minute for my final exam!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed