Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2006, 12:54   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram
The Americans call the dikky/boot a trunk. The trunk is supposed to be so secure, that you cannot access it without its own key. Some American cars have a two sets of keys, one for the ignition, doors and glove compartment and a separate key for the trunk, which usually has a higher security lock as compared to the rest of the car.
There are typically 3 keys - 2 regular keys which can open doors +boot +glove compartment, and ignition. The service/ valet key only works on the ignition and driver door.

Most cars in US, if not all, have foldable rear seats. This way you can expand the boot space. There is a key-hole on the rear parcel shelf where you can lock the rear seat back-rest from opening, and hence secure the boot. So when you give your car to some one, you can lock the rear seat from folding down, and give the service key so the person who takes your car can only access the cabin and ignition, and no access to the boot.

Would you know of any current models which have the steel cross-beams and steel bulk-head ?

Last edited by condor : 10th July 2006 at 12:57.
Old 10th July 2006, 13:40   #17
Team-BHP Support

I have central locking in my car. Simple stuff.
Once it failed. I just had to flip open the locks since my central locking was the one with actuators. Purely mechanical. Even if the unit dies locks can be opened. But in fancy cars with completely electronic stuff this could be a problem.
Our santro also has simple one, where if unit dies, all you do it pull up the lock. So in such cases central locking wont be a problem, i.e. it cant jam the doors. If the doors do get jammed it would be due to structural damage, not due to central locking.
In many instances, when car is submerged etc., the doors could get jammed. Only fully electronic locks have a problem where there is not mechanical override
Old 10th July 2006, 16:51   #18
BHPian

I have a big doubt about these aftermarket central lockin systems and car security systems. Isn't the indian consumer making a fool of himself by installing them? Simply becoz all these car thieves know all the tricks of deactivating most of these systems. For instance, my uncle had installed the best security system available in the market in his esteem but even then his music system got stolen three times.
Old 10th July 2006, 17:48   #19
Senior - BHPian

I dont get it...my central locking was not working a couple of days ago...but i was still manually able to open the door(s)....

Whats the truth then?

EDIT: My accent has mechanical locking like tsk mentioned...cars like the octavia with electronic switches to lock and unlock might cause problems.

Drifter

Last edited by drifter : 10th July 2006 at 17:52.
Old 10th July 2006, 19:23   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbr1304

its too over protectiveness to have the tool box or anyother thing to have under your seat all the time...
Disclaimer : Apologies if it hurt anyone ..
dude i keep it there not coz of the central locking thing but due to the fact that i hear the rattles in the boot, i only thought of it as a point of safety when i saw some honda city getin conked up in the news and then its been there coz of both the facts ever since. anyways din hurt me or something.

Last edited by 200mph : 10th July 2006 at 19:29.
Old 10th July 2006, 20:06   #21
BHPian

Overall, i feel safer with central locking. Perhaps it is a good idea not to use central locking on rainy days - i.e., as soon as the lock engages automatically, we should remember to manually disengage it so that there is no chance of it malfunctioning and locking you inside later. We dont have so much of an issue with water logging in Bangalore, however, we do need to be careful of kidnappers and burglars on the roads, especially late in the night.
Old 12th July 2006, 18:18   #22
BHPian

Isn't it necessary then to rethink about electronic locking systems in modern cars since i personally feel that too much electronics is bad for a car, especially in a city like mumbai where deluges like 26/7 has exposed the limitations of electronic systems?
Old 16th July 2014, 12:55   #23
BHPian

Re: Central locking -- safe or dangerous??

I found a way out o this one. The main culprit is that central locking locks doors when the engine starts To be on safer side you can cut the wire from the engine by an accessory mechanic. This way the car does not autolock when you start it from the inside. Since drivers and co passengers wear seat belts these days, locking the door is unnecessary while driving, accept when there is a child at the back seat.

This article becomes even more important in the light of fire accidents that have haunted many cars and resulted in deaths
Old 16th July 2014, 13:43   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by syravi View Post
I found a way out o this one. The main culprit is that central locking locks doors when the engine starts To be on safer side you can cut the wire from the engine by an accessory mechanic. This way the car does not autolock when you start it from the inside. Since drivers and co passengers wear seat belts these days, locking the door is unnecessary while driving, except when there is a child at the back seat.

This article becomes even more important in the light of fire accidents that have haunted many cars and resulted in deaths
While most central locking systems now a days are programmable, means you can program them if you don't like the autolocking feature, but traveling without locking the doors is risky:

1. In case of accidents, they can open and throw the occupants out, if any one is not belted.

2. The doors can be opened by any of your passengers accidentally while the vehicle is in motion putting you & other people and cars at a high risk of accidents. This case is more probable with children.

3. Also, a car is crash tested of its strength with doors closed. I doubt if the structure would be as strong as with open doors than closed. That straight away defeats the primary safety system built into your car & puts the occupants at high risk of injury/ mortality in crashes.

4. Also, it keeps you secure from outside crimes. In traffic jams, or while waiting at the signals, I would feel highly insecure if the doors are not locked.

If your car can be unlocked manually despite the central lock arming the car, I don't think there is any reason to panic. If not, keep a hammer to break glass or know other methods on how to get out of the car in such an emergency.

I would never advise you to travel with doors unlocked.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 17:28   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Privacy and security is of utmost concern to probably most of us when travelling on the road. Specially with the rise in traffic these days, anti-social elements are aware that cars waiting in signals are soft targets for implementing their plans. The only thing that can deter such thoughts is having central-locking doors upon ignition. The sun-films were also of great use to prevent strangers peeking into the cabin for nefarious reasons and also to prevent sun-burn in summer, but since a draconian law was passed criminalising everyone who dared drive with them on, I obliged immediately. The last thing I want now is manufacturers removing ignition door-locks and marketing "speed-sensitive" electronic door locks as a premium feature (Hyundai) even though the technology is simple.

Door lock is also important so that even if the handle is accidentally pulled by someone (either inside or out) the doors remain closed. The most effective form of locking should be to give 2 buttons on they key, one for unlocking boot & one for the other 4 doors. By default the boot should remain locked unless unlocked from inside or the key button. The cabin doors must lock upon ignition and rest can be manually done with the click locks. Standard safety/practical features must never be toyed with or improved, simplicity is the core of safety in the end. Fully electronic locks do have the risk of failure, human aspects such as entering/exiting a car must NEVER be connected to battery terminals. Power windows have already brought in an element of risk, last thing we need is power doors. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate mechanical door locks with manual override which is a must in any car. Its perfectly safe and the lack of it is dangerous.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks