Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2014, 22:39   #1
Senior - BHPian

Maruti: New 90hp 1.0L Turbo-Petrol engine coming up

Source & Full Article

Quote:
We had also reported that the YRA is likely to be powered by a turbo petrol engine from a new range that Maruti is developing. A report on Financial Express now claims that the car will get a 1.0-litre, turbocharged petrol power plant that puts out 90 bhp and can average 20 km/l. The YRA is expected to be launched in 2015 and is expected to compete with the Hyundai i20, Honda Jazz and Volkswagen Polo. The car is also likely to restart Maruti's exports to Europe.

The development of direct injection turbo charger technology for small capacity petrol engines is being viewed as the next technological frontier for Maruti Suzuki. The company is following in the steps of global giants like Ford and Volkswagen, who have introduced the technology in products like the EcoSport (EcoBoost), Polo and Passat (TSi). Indian manufacturer, Tata Motors has also announced that it will use its new Revotron turbocharged petrol engines in its upcoming products.

Last edited by GTO : 28th March 2014 at 13:09. Reason: Adding link to our own news item :)
longhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2014, 23:29   #2
BANNED

I can see a 1.0L EcoBoost engine competitor here. Hope the turbo lag and NVH is kept under control with power to be linear rather than sudden burst of power.

And hope it is NOT a 3 cylinder engine.

Anurag.

Last edited by GTO : 28th March 2014 at 13:09. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 28th March 2014, 13:23   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Maruti: New 90hp 1.0L Turbo-Petrol engine coming up

Very impressed that Maruti's R&D has finally woken up....after years of hibernation! Only recently, we saw the introduction of a game-changing gearbox (AMT), an in-house diesel is being developed and now, this turbo-petrol.

90 horses from a 1 liter is decent; better than Tata's 84 BHP 1.2L turbo-petrol but far from Ford's 1 liter EcoBoost (123 horses). Lets hope there's good torque delivery and the engine doesn't suffer from the EcoBoost's turbo-lag.

This turbo-petrol had better offer serious benefits, as it'll be more expensive than the Swift's 1.2L K-Series. The difference in BHP is merely 4! Any competent tuner can massage the 1.2L to 90 BHP in a day (or less). Of course, the real difference will be in the turbo-petrol's torque delivery. Maruti should also plan a higher output version.

Last edited by GTO : 28th March 2014 at 14:44.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2014, 13:28   #4
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti: New 90hp 1.0L Turbo-Petrol engine coming up

Maruti is now focusing on R&D, so that's good news for us end customers and not so good for the competition. I read that this engine will debut in the new hatchback to be launched later on and will be positioned above the Swift. That left me wondering how they'll price it since the Swift is almost in i20 territory.

I hope with this they also focus on giving us better build. It will make Maruti cars so much more better overall then. Looks like the next few years will be the time for innovation and change.
Old 28th March 2014, 13:33   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Great to read this news. So, looks like Maruti's R&D has woken from its slumber. It will give them good results riding on the back of the Maruti brand name. The engine will be a great tool under the hood for the mid size Maruti hatchbacks and I am sure that MSIL will stress on it being fuel efficient too.
Old 28th March 2014, 14:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Only recently, we saw the introduction of a game-changing gearbox (AMT), an in-house diesel is being developed and now, this turbo-petrol.
AMT - Full credits to Magneti Marelli there. Credits to maruti for grabbing it first in India and cleverly embossing it on the indian mind.
The advertisements had such an impact that an average indian JOE thinks Celerio is the only car with auto transmission and rest all has gears.
amit_mechengg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2014, 17:38   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Very impressed that Maruti's R&D has finally woken up....after years of hibernation! Only recently, we saw the introduction of a game-changing gearbox (AMT), an in-house diesel is being developed and now, this turbo-petrol.

90 horses from a 1 liter is decent; better than Tata's 84 BHP 1.2L turbo-petrol but far from Ford's 1 liter EcoBoost (123 horses). Lets hope there's good torque delivery and the engine doesn't suffer from the EcoBoost's turbo-lag.

This turbo-petrol had better offer serious benefits, as it'll be more expensive than the Swift's 1.2L K-Series. The difference in BHP is merely 4! Any competent tuner can massage the 1.2L to 90 BHP in a day (or less). Of course, the real difference will be in the turbo-petrol's torque delivery. Maruti should also plan a higher output version.
I couldn't agree more. Especially with the last sentence.

From what I've read and heard, esp in the marketing circles, Maruti plan on doing quite a bit to re-haul their image. Making a move towards being a tech innovator.
Bingeljell is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed