Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2014, 18:17   #16
BHPian

Re: Similar interior designs across manufacturers - The latest trend?

I feel, a lot of these parts are sourced from third parties.
Eg: The AC vents on the back seats, The instrument console, gear knobs, switches etc
I feel, if we have a peep inside the engine bay, there might be more similarities. (Most of the diesel engines are sourced from Bosch parts I believe)

So, it is the part manufacturer who tries to slightly modify his conveyor belt for a different car manufacturer. No surprise, some are very similar.
Old 16th May 2014, 19:22   #17
Senior - BHPian

Hi all, After reading the opening post and the subsequent replies I feel there is one more thing that is also considered to a great extent by the car makers i.e Customer's comfort and choice.

All car brands that prepare a design of the car to launch in a country first make sure as to what type of interior designs and panel designs are liked by the present customer base. Based on that they design their product which at times turns about to be replicating to another existing brand.

The reason behind this practice is that the car makers are fully aware of the customer's taste and ease of use, hence they make their product in a similar way so that the customer can easily relate to it and does not face any difficulty of usage.

Secondly, If the interiors of particular design are praised by the users then the makers get a fair idea and they prepare their designs matching to it with certain amount of R&D involved so that their product too has good amount of takers as well.

I think the car maker's today have a defined benchmark in regards to designing of interiors hence they don't wish to play much with them.

Thanks

AD

Last edited by ad3952n : 16th May 2014 at 19:24.
Old 1st July 2014, 18:00   #18
Senior - BHPian

Latest Addition:

Hyundai Eon and Mercedes S class have the same steering pattern including the thumb-pad

Name:  hyundai.png
Views: 819
Size:  526.1 KB
Old 1st July 2014, 21:43   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Hyundai Eon and Mercedes S class have the same steering pattern including the thumb-pad
Isn't that too far fetched? I think both are considerably different, even if we were to discount the materials used.
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 22:14   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Isn't that too far fetched? I think both are considerably different, even if we were to discount the materials used.
Well, to my eyes, if we excuse the wood finish and steering mount buttons, i felt them to be same
Old 1st July 2014, 22:19   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

I wouldn't call a similar layout as "New trend", it's the best possible outcome of several trials and studies.

Consider the steering wheel, we are left with few options like 2 / 3 / 4 spokes. The cheaper option with better strength / rigidity will be a 3 spoke wheel and that's what most of our cars have. (4 spokes will give much better rigidity, but adds the cost too)

Similarly for the control stacks, they were designed and positioned for ease of reach and changing the layout / shape will do all bad to the customers.

Cockpit layout again is designed for better reach and changing anything on them, we will start cursing the designer.

And for the AC vents (be it front individual ones or the rear combination ones) what else can be designed? Even if the child parts (or the complete unit itself) are carried from other model / manufacturer it's a welcome move I believe. For sure this will reduce the cost.

Best example is the switches from gearless scooters. Almost all the models I came across share the same switches.

Rather calling it as "copying from others" I would say it is "revisiting the lessons learned by someone else and applying the best possible solution"
Old 2nd July 2014, 10:50   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Latest Addition:

Attachment 1256722
Yes, they look so similar that I'm confusing the S Class steering with the Eon! Perhaps, Mercedes should have given a triangular steering or even better, steering like in the Airbus cockpit to differentiate themselves. Or, hey, a 4 spoke steering like the Innova would've made Mercedes look it had invented something! What were they thinking? Missed opportunity Merc!
swiftdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2014, 12:49   #23
Senior - BHPian

While discussing steering wheels I just realized that there have not been any vehicles with single spoke steering wheels for over 20 years.
A mass production vehicle with single spoke steering was Citroen.
Talbot, Aston Martin and even Fiat tried it in their vehicles, and in commercial vehicles Gotto Auwarter , Neoplan, and closer to home Corona buses have used them.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/ImgGall...1926_29246.jpg
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/ImgGall...1925_29248.jpg
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/ImgGall...1927_29244.jpg
http://www.aronline.co.uk/images/xxdev_11.jpg

The different type of steering wheels have names http://www.con2r.com/storage/2012/pr...=1364413039179 which depend on spoke pattern.

Rahul

Last edited by Rahul Rao : 2nd July 2014 at 12:52.
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2014, 14:25   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
A mass production vehicle with single spoke steering was Citroen.
Adding snap from other thread

Source http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ction-2-a.html
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks