Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2014, 10:25   #1
Team-BHP Support

Maruti Suzuki Alto crosses 25 lakh milestone

The Maruti Suzuki Alto has crossed the cumulative 25 lakh sales mark. Launched in the year 2000, the Alto has achieved this milestone in just 14 years. It is the second Maruti car to breach the 25 lakh mark, the first being the Maruti 800.

Link to Team-BHP News Article

The Alto was launched with an 800 cc, 3-cylinder petrol engine producing 47 bhp. In 2001 a 1.1-litre, 4-cylinder unit with 64 bhp was introduced. This power plant was discontinued in 2004, much to the dismay of enthusiasts.

In 2010, Maruti launched the Alto K10 with a 1.0-litre, 3-cylinder engine that was good for 67 bhp. The car was also given styling changes at the front. Maruti says that it has sold more than 4 lakh units of the K10 in 4 years.

In 2012, the first-generation Alto was replaced by the Alto800, which had new bodywork and interiors. The 800 cc engine was retained, but the company claimed that it could now return better efficiency figures. The company also claims that it managed to sell 1,00,000 units of the Alto 800 within 124 days of its launch. A CNG-powered version of the car is also available.

Additionally, Maruti Suzuki has exported more than 2.85 lakh units of the Alto to various countries around the world.

Maruti Suzuki Alto crosses 25 lakh milestone-alto-25-lacs-timeline.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 14th May 2014 at 10:31.
Aditya is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th May 2014, 10:52   #2
gemi_kk

Re: Maruti Suzuki Alto crosses 25 lakh milestone

Alto is a name, under which there are multiple cars. Alto, Alto 800, K10. still, 25 Lakh is too much. And now i understand why the traffic in india is growing at a double digit pace Congratulations Maruti.

Give us a 25 Lakh celebration edition with abs and one airbag and One small turbo.

It isn't really a milestone to the company. The margins that they earn on selling dzires 10K a month is more than what they earn on 25K alto's. If you see revenue wise, the swifts and dzires contribute more than what alto contributes.
  (6) Thanks
Old 14th May 2014, 15:30   #3
BHPian

Congratulations Maruti! Alto is indeed a much deserved car.

The simple reason for this success is the VFM tag associated with this car. It is a cute little car with Power Steering along with a very good AC.

Maruti 800 was not having the Power steering and this was my USP for selecting the Alto back in 2006 (Like so many for me also Alto was my first car). Even in the small streets I could go in my car and I used to say 'if an auto can go to a place, my alto also can go to that place without any issue'

Till date I like this car very much and I have suggested this car to my friends as their first car.

Let's go ALTO!
rnidumolu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2014, 07:06   #4
BHPian

It's a great car as first choice but nothing in terms of build quality (I might be wrong) or safety has improved over years apart from the engine. Given a choice for different generation of Alto's I do not find much difference driving a 2003 Alto and the latest one apart from the Engine (I know Engine is the heart) and I still get the same feel of previous generation Alto.

A-star should have been the appropriate new Alto not the Alto 800 which seems a downgrade from previous generation.

And luckily Tata Nano wasn't a hit. Otherwise imagine Indian traffic with x number of Bikes, y number of Alto's and z number of Nano's on road with XYZ of pollution and XYZ of congestion on already congested roads would have been like.
Kratos453 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2014, 07:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

A cng powered k10 would push the nos even more and would be a good value for money.Somehow this model is not offered with the gas option.
Old 15th May 2014, 07:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
A cng powered k10 would push the nos even more and would be a good value for money.Somehow this model is not offered with the gas option.
AFAIK, the Alto K10 is like the 'Sport' version of the Swift. A powerful engine being made for guys looking at power and economy.

I don't think Maruti will offer CNG for the K10 model. If at all one needs CNG, then he can go with Alto 800.

This is a sort of a niche segment and if numbers are the main need, then Alto 800 does the job happily.

Last edited by GTO : 15th May 2014 at 12:44. Reason: Typos
ecosport rules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2014, 08:10   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
Give us a 25 Lakh celebration edition with abs and one airbag and One small turbo.
Now that's some wish buddy. Maruti - Are you reading?!

Quote:
It isn't really a milestone to the company. The margins that they earn on selling dzires 10K a month is more than what they earn on 25K alto's. If you see revenue wise, the swifts and dzires contribute more than what alto contributes.
I would say that is due to heavy part sharing between the Swift + Dzire + Ertiga, the cost of manufacturing comes down along with sales figures Maruti is enjoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kratos453 View Post
It's a great car as first choice but nothing in terms of build quality (I might be wrong) or safety has improved over years apart from the engine.
The first car that comes into mind when a guy driving a 2-wheelers wants to upgrade to a 4-wheeler is the Alto. Cheap (cost wise) + Fuel Efficient + highly reliable + MASS, all these points boost confidence that makes this car gain numbers.

Have you seen the Ad on TV? - India's most Fuel Efficient car - The Alto 800. Maruti lives upto it and that's what the customer looks at the EOD. Regarding the build quality, IMO it is OK for the price it is sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kratos453 View Post
And luckily Tata Nano wasn't a hit. Otherwise imagine Indian traffic with x number of Bikes, y number of Alto's and z number of Nano's on road with XYZ of pollution and XYZ of congestion on already congested roads would have been like.
Why blame the Tata Nano and Alto here for congestion and pollution?! Why not look at the ageing CV's that ply on our roads that pollute more + congest he roads.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 15th May 2014 at 08:14.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2014, 09:31   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Simple yet a superb wish I really fume at Maruti for their heavy inclination towards mass production. Cant they at least do something really droolworthy when they achieve such milestones? It does not hurt if they manufacture a limited edition of 500 cars with these features. With the kind of profit they make, they should give some extra bits once in a while apart from the usual horrible editions they bring out. Someone please give me a job in MSIL and I will definitely straighten out the special editions to what they must really be

Last edited by GTO : 15th May 2014 at 12:44. Reason: Maruti, not MS (no acronyms for manufacturers please)
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2014, 23:47   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
The first car that comes into mind when a guy driving a 2-wheelers wants to upgrade to a 4-wheeler is the Alto. Cheap (cost wise) + Fuel Efficient + highly reliable + MASS, all these points boost confidence that makes this car gain numbers.

Have you seen the Ad on TV? - India's most Fuel Efficient car - The Alto 800. Maruti lives upto it and that's what the customer looks at the EOD. Regarding the build quality, IMO it is OK for the price it is sold.
That is why I said a great car for first choice but again disappointed about the fact that Maruti is driving on "kitna deti hai" mind set rather than improving safety over mileage. Let's take an example of Swift, compare the two generation swifts and one will notice lot of differences right from engine to a 4 star to 5 star jump in safety. I am not arguing that alto is a bad car, after all it was the first car that I ever had but I would have considered A-Star to be its replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Why blame the Tata Nano and Alto here for congestion and pollution?! Why not look at the ageing CV's that ply on our roads that pollute more + congest he roads.

Anurag.
I think you misread my comment. If Nano sold like Alto then there would have been trouble. Yes and you are so true that ageing CV's that ply on our roads pollute a lot.
Old 16th May 2014, 00:21   #10
BANNED

Congratulations Maruti Suzuki
Alto has a special place in my enthusiastic heart. It was the first car back in 2003 that we had home, a silver coloured Alto VX1.1. My dad always tells me how awesome it was to drive and how he never wanted to get rid of it. In 2006 we left india and found no one to take care of the car, unfortunately had to sell it. My uncles who then owned the santro/ Wagonr always switched cars with my dad on every highway trip.
Alto always was/is VFM. In 90's people usually bought the Maruti 800 as their first car, since the launch of alto it makes perfect sense as a first car.

Asit
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2014, 01:00   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post

Alto always was/is VFM. In 90's people usually bought the Maruti 800 as their first car, since the launch of alto it makes perfect sense as a first car.

Asit
If the emission norms were not strict then I am pretty sure such a thread would have existed for the Maruti 800. Due to these norms, Maruti was forced to discontinue the 800 and replace it with an Alto. Had they not discontinued the 800, it would have been on top of the sales charts even now. This car has just got a worthy replacement a.k.a The Alto.

I still remember the resistance shown by the market even the Alto was launched which was to replace the 800. Many scolded/cursed Maruti for that decision but look at it now. Soaring heights is what the Alto is seeing.

Last edited by ecosport rules : 16th May 2014 at 01:01.
ecosport rules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2015, 21:21   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Alto Pips the M800 to become India's best selling car. The M800 took 29 years to achieve sales of 28L units, the Alto crossed this in ~15 years.

Quote:
Maruti Suzuki India's entry level car Alto has become the best selling model in India with a cumulative total of more than 29 lakh units sold over a period of 15 years. The Alto has overtaken the erstwhile title holder and now phased-out M800.
The Alto was launched in India in September 2000 and by October this year, the model touched cumulative sales of 29,19,819 unit
Source: NDTV Auto
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks