Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2014, 23:06   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I tried searching on the cse website but couldn't find the stats anywhere, pardon my googling skills. I'd appreciate if you can post a link or something that corroborates your claim because until 2012 Bengaluru, Chennai & Hyd were definitely exceeding in the total no. of vehicles (clubbed together) when compared to Delhi.
It is infact true that Delhi has more cars than the next four metros put together. Infact that has been the case for quite some time now. Delhi had more than 75 lakh vehicles on the road which is double that of Bangalore, next on the list. Mumbai, Chennai are even less around 15 lakh and 10 lakh respectivly. I had posted a link in another thread I believe. Will try to search and post it here.

Edit: It is the total number of cars that exceed the next four I believe. Can't find the link though.

Edit2: Got a link http://www.hindustantimes.com/India-news/NewDelhi/Buses-over-cars-Delhi-in-fast-lane/Article1-913239.aspx

My bad numbet of vehicles in Chennai is not 10 lakh. But yeah the crux of the matter is total vehicles in NCR is much more than other cities. Number of cars more so. Which in my opinion is not something to be proud of at all.

Developed is not that city where more people own cars, but developed is that where more people don't need to own one.

Last edited by vibbs : 19th June 2014 at 23:31.
vibbs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2014, 01:06   #17
BHPian

Re: Chandigarh has most number of vehicles per head in India

The city by it's very nature attracted people with a certain minimum wealth from the day it came into being. Subsequently, the next 3 or 4 generations have only done better. It's quite common for each family member to have his/her own car.

It lacks the homogeneous nature of most Indian cities having people from every strata in close vicinity. A good percentage of domestic help lives in the periphery for example, and are not counted as a part of the city.

And I disagree with the fact that income is mainly from agriculture. The city has mostly people in service industry. Defense services and govt jobs form a big chunk. Businessmen too form a good portion now.

Look at the total population: 12 Lakhs. Even some towns in India have a bigger count. The way it was planned and the initial well to do lot that Chd attracted, are the biggest reasons for such skewed numbers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks