Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2014, 13:50   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

*Rumour* Toyota Vios For India In 2015

Toyota has confirmed the Vios for India in 2015. The 2015 Toyota Vios will be positioned in C2 segment and will fill the gap between Etios sedan and Toyota Corolla.

*Rumour* Toyota  Vios For India In 2015-2014toyotaviossideprofile.jpg

*Rumour* Toyota  Vios For India In 2015-2014toyotaviosfrontthreequarters1.jpg

*Rumour* Toyota  Vios For India In 2015-2014toyotaviosdashboard.jpg

Toyota will bring the Vios in C2 segment. The Vios will compete with segment leader Honda City, Hyundai Verna and the Volkswagen Vento.

Quote:
The petrol variant will be 1.8 litre dual VVTi engine giving 140PS of power and 173Nm of torque with a 7-speed CVT or a 6-speed manual transmission. The diesel variant will get a 1.4 litre turbocharged engine giving 88.4PS, mated with a 6-speed manual transmission.
Toyota will launch the Vios in India in second quarter of 2015.

http://www.autocolumn.com/2014/07/sc...ed-india-2015/

Last edited by volkman10 : 8th July 2014 at 14:11.
volkman10 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 8th July 2014, 14:12   #2
BHPian

Re: *Rumour* Toyota Vios For India In 2015

It is a good news that they plan to fill the gap. However, my sources within the Toyota group say that they have no plan to launch any new product till 2016.

Lets see, the outcome.

However, they have not ruled out some more facelifts.
mints21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2014, 14:51   #3
BHPian

I'm impressed with the power and torque figures for the petrol, naturally, they are using the 1.8 from Corolla. This would be a good launch in C2.
Old 8th July 2014, 15:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

Err, This looks no different than a slighly upmarket/facelifted Etios? Why is Toyota trying to bring cars that are so plainjane?
Old 8th July 2014, 15:03   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mints21 View Post
It is a good news that they plan to fill the gap. However, my sources within the Toyota group say that they have no plan to launch any new product till 2016.

Lets see, the outcome.

The moment I read this, called my friend in Toyota and checked with him, he say no such thing planned. Else for the launch 2015, he would have atleast been aware of the training needs. He is generally sent to the mother plant for the training for any new launch.

Lets if this turns out true.
nkrishnap is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th July 2014, 15:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

Looks or features bring nothing new to fight the already established Honda City or the Hyundai Verna. But the entry of the Corolla's 1.8L Petrol engine ( Which I am very skeptical about ) will certainly be something to wait and watch. On a car that is smaller ( lighter too ) than the Corolla, this engine, with the right gearing can be a straight line king. If the petrol is priced about 40-50K higher than a similarly specced City, I am seriously looking at it.
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2014, 15:32   #7
Senior - BHPian

God knows what took them so long to realize that they need to bring the Vios into India !!
The City Verna Segment has awesome volumes and they have just let the competitors have it easy.
nik_kapur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2014, 15:32   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The petrol variant will be 1.8 litre dual VVTi engine giving 140PS of power and 173Nm of torque with a 7-speed CVT or a 6-speed manual transmission.
The specs listed here appears to be 'too good to be true', especially if the intention is, as a C segment sedan.
sarathlal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2014, 15:57   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Err, This looks no different than a slighly upmarket/facelifted Etios? Why is Toyota trying to bring cars that are so plainjane?
Seriously? Can't see anything on there similar to the Etios, except of course that it's a sedan and carries the Toyota badge, maybe I'm not seeing it right...
da_lowrider is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th July 2014, 16:01   #10
Senior - BHPian

The side profile looks fab and so do the interiors.

Only grouse, the front doesnt look very aggressive!!

But with a launch by 2015 or maybe even by 2016, isn't it too late for the T Badge?

On speculation, by then City may just have had a mid life makeover, consolidated sales, Ciaz would've been launched and if priced correctly, made good in roads, the Verna continues its good run and the Fiesta has some cheer!!
Old 8th July 2014, 16:26   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
However, my sources within the Toyota group say that they have no plan to launch any new product till 2016.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
The moment I read this, called my friend in Toyota and checked with him, he say no such thing planned. Else for the launch 2015, he would have atleast been aware of the training needs. He is generally sent to the mother plant for the training for any new launch.
Same here. Called up my reliable Toyota birdie and it was news for him!!

As per his info, there are no new car launches scheduled till end-2016. They are fully concentrating on the new-gen Altis right now, after that they will be busy with the Etios' twin-facelifts, and then another makeover to the Innova. (in between, an all-new Fortuner and a tweaked Camry might make an appearance)

Also a special edition Innova is on the cards, as is dealership expansion in Tier-II cities.

If this turns out to be true, it won't be until 2017. The C2 segment is a volume selling one, and Toyota would need plenty of empty space in it's production lines if the Vios turns out to be a hit. Don't think they are ready for that just yet.

But yes, a 1.8L-powered Vios could certainly create some flutter in the C2 segment. But Toyota might just play safe and plonk the 1.5L from the Etios - it churns out a respectable 90 PS and 132 Nm of torque - which they might feel is adequate for the segment.

After all, they ARE still sticking with the 1.4L Diesel for the all-new Corolla Altis.
RavenAvi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th July 2014, 17:02   #12
BHPian

I think Toyota would not introduce the 1.8L here. It might affect the sales of Corolla. Why would they want to take that risk? Vios and Corolla may be in different segments, but still there is possibility of it eating away some numbers. On the contrary, will Toyota get more C2 customers because of 1.8L instead of 1.5L? If yes, then that might be a good reason to plonk that one in Vios
Old 8th July 2014, 17:27   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Toyota has confirmed the Vios for India in 2015. The 2015 Toyota Vios will be positioned in C2 segment and will fill the gap between Etios sedan and Toyota Corolla.
Quote:
However, my sources within the Toyota group say that they have no plan to launch any new product till 2016.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
The moment I read this, called my friend in Toyota and checked with him, he say no such thing planned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
The specs listed here appears to be 'too good to be true', especially if the intention is, as a C segment sedan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_lowrider View Post
Seriously? Can't see anything on there similar to the Etios, except of course that it's a sedan and carries the Toyota badge, maybe I'm not seeing it right...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Same here. Called up my reliable Toyota birdie and it was news for him!!

As per his info, there are no new car launches scheduled till end-2016.
Well folks! the news doesn't seem to be untrue. I surfed the net and got this piece of news for the Toyota Vios.

Quote:
Toyota will fill the gap in its portfolio between the Etios and Corolla with the Vios, a report has confirmed. The C2 segment car will be launched in India in 2015 and be slotted in a class that is quite competitive.

According to sources within Toyota, the Vios will make it to India in Q2 2015. Though this may be a slightly belated arrival, there certainly is enough demand in the market to accommodate new entrants.
*Rumour* Toyota  Vios For India In 2015-2014toyotaviostailgate.jpg

Source: http://www.indiancarsbikes.in/auto-n...ch-2015-94555/

Thanks.
Old 8th July 2014, 18:35   #14
BHPian

It is surprising Toyota would plan such a major launch in a hyper competitive segment like C2, after clearly stating earlier that they are only going to focus on Innova and Altis India (Ref: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...r-segment.html ).
Old 8th July 2014, 19:14   #15
Senior - BHPian

This car, if at all it makes to India, will not have 1.8 petrol. 1.8 in Vios will make life really difficult for Toyota to differentiate between Altis and Vios, Vios ofcourse a bit smaller, but with similar powertrain, will be even nicer to drive than Altis.

Neither will this car have 1.4 diesel in 90 bhp format. Again, differentiation will be a critical factor.
And now, hitting the main topic : If this car makes it to India. Most probably it wont. There are talks since last 6+ years of Vios making it to Indian shores, but it has not materialized, and to be honest, dont expect it to happen soon as long as Toyota manages to sell Innova, Fortuner and Altis at very high margins ( something they are doing currently ).

The Vios is sold in Asian markets and its not very tough for Toyota to bring in this car if it wants to. But Toyota seems to be too busy bringing on Camry with less safety features than to bring in Vios in a competitive segment. Considering the poor response given to Etios and Liva, by this time, Vios should have been on Indian roads. But it seems Toyota think tanks work in a different way.

I request mods to lock this thread as, since many years, we are getting same old story of Vios coming to India. And certainly not with a 1.8 petrol.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 8th July 2014 at 19:16.
aaggoswami is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks