Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2014, 20:12   #31
BHPian

Re: Honda stalls City production to accomodate Mobilio

The SA guy in the Honda dealership I visited 2 days back told me that customers are willing to wait for City even after booking and his attitude seemed that "People who want City will wait no matter what so we don't care". I may be wrong but I felt so.
He mentioned that City already had waiting of 6-8 Months.
raksrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2014, 17:54   #32
Team-BHP Support

Honda is shifting the production of the City from its Greater Noida plant to its manufacturing facility in Tapukara.

Link to Team-BHP News Article

Last edited by Aditya : 5th August 2014 at 18:44.
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 18:06   #33
Senior - BHPian

Did any one hear any news about Honda stopping production of Black color City? My friend who have booked the City got a mail from the dealer saying Hodna have discontinued the black color and he can choose from any other available colors.

I checked the website and the color palette do not list Black Pearl any more - is this a temporary shortage or did they do away with black color?

--Anoop
Old 6th August 2014, 18:10   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Did any one hear any news about Honda stopping production of Black color City? My friend who have booked the City got a mail from the dealer saying Hodna have discontinued the black color and he can choose from any other available colors.

I checked the website and the color palette do not list Black Pearl any more - is this a temporary shortage or did they do away with black color?

--Anoop
If they had then it's a very strange decision. I have seen many black ones on road so it is selling well and looks good too. If they have removed it from the website then in all probability it's been discontinued. Strange indeed.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2014, 12:30   #35
BHPian

Quote:

--Anoop
Yes, I too checked the Honda City Web-site. It sure is shocking. I hope we should expect addition of a few new colours once the production starts in the new plant.
Seran Manian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2014, 05:57   #36
Team-BHP Support

I find it hard to believe that a manufacturer (any manufacturer for that matter, not just Honda) would continue to let there be huge wait times for a model. Creating an artificial shortage is one thing, making it a habit is another.

Although it wasn't entirely their fault, they messed up Civic; hope they don't do the same with City.

I wonder if Honda itself is confused about where they want to be in the Indian market.
Old 8th August 2014, 06:59   #37
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Although it wasn't entirely their fault, they messed up Civic; hope they don't do the same with City.

I wonder if Honda itself is confused about where they want to be in the Indian market.
They seem to be betting big on Mobilio ? But I'm not sure if the decision to stop production of the Honda City for a month (to move production to the Tapukara plant in Rajasthan) is a great idea.

News article from Indian express, Bangalore edition 6 Aug 2014 - Link
Old 8th August 2014, 10:59   #38
BHPian

I feel that Honda got its estimates wrong and had No choice but to move production of City to Tapukara.

Let's start with Honda's original production plan before City was launched in January 2014.
  • Noida plant - City, Brio and Mobilio
  • Tapukara plant - Amaze and Jazz
I think following 3 aspects led to this decision:
1. Demand for City
Given that Mobilio was to launch in July/August, Honda would have estimated an initial demand of 7,000 units per month which would gradually normalize to 5,000 units per month. With this view they would have prepared production line for Mobilio at Noida.

To their surprise, the demand for City continues to remain strong. However, because Mobilio is a new launch and since there is a lot of comparison with Ertiga, Honda would have every reason to believe that long waiting period for Mobilio would lead to failure of the product.

Given that there is very little competition to City, they would have been more comfortable stopping production of City for a month and shifting base to Rajasthan.

2. Slowing demand for Amaze
Since launch of Amaze last year, Honda has been continuously churning out 7,000 units per month. As on date, there is very little waiting period for Amaze which means Honda can afford to cut down on its production. Maybe the demand for Amaze has slowed down.

With the launch of Xcent, upcoming launch of Zest this month and Ford Figo sedan next year, I think Honda is expecting a further slow down in demand for Amaze. Given this, I think they can afford to cut down production of Amaze focus more on City which has a 4 to 6 months waiting period.

3. Its all about money
City is the most profitable car for Honda and I think Mobilio could be 2nd in that list. It makes all sense to produce these two cars from different plants giving Honda more flexibility to limit the production of Amaze and Brio.

You don't want to have long waiting periods for your cars which are most profitable.

Also, on the positive side, Honda has not increased price of City inspite of such a huge demand. We all witnessed what Ford did with EcoSport. Within a year of launch they increased the price by 70k to cut down the demand.
Old 8th August 2014, 11:18   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post
Also, on the positive side, Honda has not increased price of City inspite of such a huge demand. We all witnessed what Ford did with EcoSport. Within a year of launch they increased the price by 70k to cut down the demand.
They had actually bumped the price 'slightly' in July. Nothing which will burn a hole in ones pocket though.

I booked the SV CVT in July and was promised a delivery in October. Which seemed alright at that time, considering I did not want the delivery in monsoon. Now, the SA (Arya Honda, Prabhadevi) has pretty much no idea about the waiting periods. I've spoken to him multiple times and there is no clarity on the delays and the waiting period.

Frustrated, I called up a couple of other dealers who further told me to that a new booking now will come with a waiting time of 5-6 months in Mumbai. This would put the delivery date to early 2015 when the prices will go up again. It's just insanity.

Just keeping my eyes open for the Ciaz launch. Apart from that there are no other real options available.
Old 8th August 2014, 11:41   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post
I feel that Honda got its estimates wrong and had No choice but to move production of City to Tapukara.

Let's start with Honda's original production plan before City was launched in January 2014.
  • Noida plant - City, Brio and Mobilio
  • Tapukara plant - Amaze and Jazz
Not sure if above was the original plan because, Brio/Amaze/Mobilio share quite a few parts and would make more sense to produce them in one plant. Maybe Rajasthan Plant was delayed and hence they had to start City production in Noida. Now that it is ready they are shifting the production. Think of it this way
Brio/Amaze/Mobilio - Share same platform and parts : Noida
City/Jazz - share same platform and parts : Rajasthan
Old 8th August 2014, 13:04   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by malgudi View Post

Not sure if above was the original plan because, Brio/Amaze/Mobilio share quite a few parts and would make more sense to produce them in one plant. Maybe Rajasthan Plant was delayed and hence they had to start City production in Noida. Now that it is ready they are shifting the production. Think of it this way
Brio/Amaze/Mobilio - Share same platform and parts : Noida
City/Jazz - share same platform and parts : Rajasthan
That's a better logic and makes total sense. I don't have anything against Honda for halting the production as it's their discretion when to produce but they should have informed the customers about the delay or made an official statement so people would not be left hanging. Seems the high headiness is back in Honda ranks.
Old 12th August 2014, 11:01   #42
BHPian

Honda has stopped black color altogether in city and they are not likely to honor even the existing bookings. Dealers are at loss of words to explain to customers who booked black.There is mention of paint quality not being upto mark being the reason for withdrawal of it. Its not just city but even in Amaze black might be withdrawn. And it does not stop there. Blue is withdrawn from Brio. Sounds like some serious issue Honda is facing with the colors.
Old 13th August 2014, 09:36   #43
BHPian

I booked a Honda city petrol automatic fully loaded model in urban titanium in Mumbai 4 months ago. But there is absolutely no news of when the car will arrive. Earlier the dealer committed September. Now he's saying December.

Is it wise to wait for the car or should I just go with another car?

Can somebody please help ? I need this car urgently. Any way I can buy this from another city where it's available. ?
Old 13th August 2014, 10:03   #44
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeem View Post

Is it wise to wait for the car or should I just go with another car?

Can somebody please help ? I need this car urgently. Any way I can buy this from another city where it's available. ?
Honda is going the Ford way. They have created the hype and demand for all 3 - Amaze, City and Mobilio and ate now suffering with production constraints. Bad planning and execution.

They should have informed ALL customers before hand and after which delayed / stopped the City production for Mobilio. They are unnecessarily making prospective customers wait for the City without any concrete news.

As you said that the need in getting the City is urgent, try getting it from another city / state. Seeing your post I don't think you can wait or are in a position to wait any further.

So I feel you must try two things:

1) Try another location to source your car;

2) Buy another car (Verna or Vento).

Whatever be your final decision, do write a strong mail to Honda so that they realise what mistake they are doing.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 13th August 2014 at 10:04.
Old 13th August 2014, 10:10   #45
BANNED

Quote:
Did any one hear any news about Honda stopping production of Black color City?
Not surprised, since they have a colour very close to Black - Golden Brown Metallic (off black I call it). My son has a Mk.III AVN in that colour, and it looks good.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks