Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2014, 16:18   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Delhi: Show PUC before filling Petrol / Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakemanJohny View Post
The modern machines require the vehicle's number plate to be photographed and all readings are printed out automatically, and not filled in by hand. These are very difficult to tamper with or manipulate.
Looks like we have one here. Last week when I got the PUC for my bike, it was photographed while testing and all numbers are printed rather than handwritten. A color print out of the certificate was handed over to me for Rs. 40/-. However, not sure if the results printed were genuine as they held the probe just for a second near the exhaust pipe of idling bike.
Old 29th August 2014, 13:13   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
However, not sure if the results printed were genuine as they held the probe just for a second near the exhaust pipe of idling bike.
According to the Central M V Rule # 115, which deals with emissions, "During the test the vehicle engine shall be running at idling speed and the sampling probe shall be inserted into the vehicle exhaust system to a depth not less than 300mm." So you are right in doubting the results ! I had to remove a cuplike attachment at the end of my YEZDI exhausts, when emission tests first stared in the nineteen-eighties, so that the probe could be inserted to the required depth. They usually keep the probe in till the reading stabilises and is constant.

For the old machines, in Calcutta, the charges were Rs. 30/- or so. For the "Four Gas Analysers" with photo printout , the charges here are 80/- for two wheelers and 100/- for four wheelers, for the last fifteen or so years, as these analysers and computers together cost quite a packet.
So it is very cheap in Ranchi !
Old 29th August 2014, 13:42   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakemanJohny View Post
For the old machines, in Calcutta, the charges were Rs. 30/- or so. For the "Four Gas Analysers" with photo printout , the charges here are 80/- for two wheelers and 100/- for four wheelers, for the last fifteen or so years, as these analysers and computers together cost quite a packet.
So it is very cheap in Ranchi !
Sometime during the later half of 2009, I remember quite well that a PUC test of bike at petrol bunks used to cost Rs. 35/-, with much genuine reports. They used to first check it at idle and then at higher RPMs. All this while, the computer screen displayed live data on the emission and the test took some considerable time.

All I can say that whatever is happening in Ranchi, is just for revenues for the Dept. and has nothing to do with controlling emissions. Here, the basic purpose of PUC is not to keep the environment clean, but only for collecting revenues from those who take their vehicles for such test or for extracting bribes from people who don't as and when they fall prey to checks by police.
Old 29th August 2014, 16:08   #49
BHPian

[quote=saket77;3518022]All I can say that whatever is happening in Ranchi, is just for revenues for the Dept. and has nothing to do with controlling emissions. Here, the basic purpose of PUC is not to keep the environment clean, but only for collecting revenues from those who take their vehicles for such test or for extracting bribes from people who don't as and when they fall prey to checks by police.[/QUOTE

Alas, most Indian laws end up that way !

But fortunately (for old car lovers) or unfortunately (for emission worriers), Ranchi and Jharkhand seem to lack the kind of Pollution Crusaders we have in WB ! There is one Mr. S M Ghosh, inventor of the SMG-HAI (hot air induction) gadget, who found that there were not many takers for his equipment, which was a simple retrofit over the exhaust manifold to send hot air into the carburettor and improve combustion and thereby reduce pollution. He had models for diesel engines, too, and wanted all buses and trucks to be retrofitted. Maybe he even dreamed of selling his invention to all automobile manufacturers. So, sometime in the mid nineteen eighties, he started petitioning the Calcutta High Court to tighten pollution norms, saying that the PUC tests were just an eyewash.

His barrage of petitions led to changing all manual testing equipment to the "Four-gas Analysers" with computer printouts, scrapping of all commercial vehicles (taxis,buses, and trucks) more than 15 yrs old in Greater Calcutta, but did not ensure sale of one unit of SMG-HAI ! (I just hope he is not a member of this forum!). Had met him at the peak of his crusade and he seemed to be a nice old chap. Little did I know, at that time, how he was going to make life miserable for my old Jonga and Yezdi, as well as for other collectors of old pre-BS norm vehicles.

The anti-pollution crusade is being carried on by others like Subhas Dutta, as well as The Ananda Bazar-Telegraph group.

But I am digressing, off topic here, I think
SnakemanJohny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2014, 09:18   #50
BHPian

Quote:
NEW DELHI: Additional Solicitor General (ASG) of India has cleared the Delhi government proposal which makes it mandatory for motorists to show ‘pollution under control’ (PUC) certificates to buy fuel.
Lieutenant Governor Najeeb Jung had sought the ASG’s views on some legal points of the proposal. “Now that he has given a go-ahead to the proposal, we will again put the file before the L-G. After he approves it, the administration will issue a notification for its implementation,” said a senior official of Delhi government’s environment department.
Source:- http://paper.hindustantimes.com/epaper/viewer.aspx

So the initiative in final stages of approval, but on the contrary what would happen if someone's going out of gas and the PUC issuing equipment is not working at the bunk...
Old 6th October 2014, 09:57   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Good idea. You are required to have valid PUC all the time do this cannot be a problem.

Right now for Delhi. Hope it gets adopted all over. As long as the individual states do not start demanding PUC only of their states like many commercial vehicles rto's do.
Old 3rd November 2014, 09:57   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Right now for Delhi.

Starting December 1, 2014 as per today's news.

Quote:
NEW DELHI: Delhi government's plans of making the pollution under control (PUC) certificate mandatory for refueling at fuel stations is set to be implemented from next month. Sources in the government confirmed that a circular in this regard was expected to come out soon.

Speaking to TOI, chief secretary, Delhi government, D M Spolia said, "The mandatory PUC certification will be needed from Dec 1 for refueling at any petrol pump. Before that we will start an awareness drive as well."

According to officials in the Delhi government, the draft policy has gone to the attorney general of India for consulting. Sources said that the government will start an awareness campaign from November 14. The proposal allows fuel stations to refuse to give fuel if the vehicle doesn't have a valid PUC certificate. As per Delhi transport department norms, BS IV compliant four wheelers are issued PUC certificates with a validity of one year while the rest have to get their certificates validated every three months.

The transport department at present has a number of PUC centres running from petrol stations. Currently, 388 centres for petrol and CNG driven vehicles and 273 centres for the diesel driven vehicles are functioning. The number of PUC certificates issued every month (to private vehicles) is around four lakh, said officials, with the percentage of compliance in private vehicles being less than 30 percent. The percentage of compliance in commercial vehicles is much higher at 90 percent.

The fine for the first violation is Rs 1,000 and thereafter, Rs 2,000 for subsequent violations for not having a valid PUC certificate.

"Besides a PUC certificate, the transport department will also give a sticker bearing registration number of the vehicle and date of PUC certificate validity so that fuel attendants can see it." added the official.
Old 9th November 2014, 19:52   #53
BHPian

Let us see how long it lasts in Delhi, where enforcement is better than most other cities, at least as long as the pressure is on. As I mentioned earlier, petroleum dealers in Calcutta have already refused to do the extra work, afraid of complications from irate customers.

Of course, if they start with a tamperproof sticker on the windshield, it may ease the situation somewhat. It can even help with PUC compliance itself, as a cop can haul you up even without examining your papers if he doesn't see the sticker, rather like spotting somebody without seatbelt or without helmet !

But life is getting too complicated, folks ! I might turn a cyclist in my old age, or get myself a battery scooter !!
Old 9th November 2014, 20:56   #54
Senior - BHPian

The only peope to benefit is the checkng centers. Even today 95% certify your vehicle to be in conformance with the norms even if it fails the test. In cases where they refuse to do so the motorists go to another bunk. These centres also lack the facilities to tune the cars. The cops will also be happy as more people without PUC certificates means more "baksheesh"

Last edited by rajneeesh : 9th November 2014 at 20:57.
Old 29th November 2014, 09:47   #55
Senior - BHPian

NO PUC FOR FUEL FOR NOW
The Hindustan Times, 29-Nov-2014

NEW DELHI: The Delhi govt has decided to defer its plan to make pollution under control (PUC) certificates mandatory for refuelling your car or two-wheelers. The decision came after various govt departments, the traffic police and petrol pump dealers expressed their inability to implement the order due to lack of manpower and infrastructure. “The proposal has been deferred for three months,” a Delhi government statement read.
Old 30th November 2014, 14:57   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
The only peope to benefit is the checkng centers. Even today 95% certify your vehicle to be in conformance with the norms even if it fails the test. In cases where they refuse to do so the motorists go to another bunk. These centres also lack the facilities to tune the cars. The cops will also be happy as more people without PUC certificates means more "baksheesh"
Not to mention at least 75% PUC centres deliberately
(i) either fail your car buy keeping their own filters dirty (particularly for diesel vehicles)
(ii) keep their equipment in bad condition so that they do not pick up the RPM and are unable to measure the emissions properly.

In either case, they refuse to do the PUC, particularly for diesels. As a result, you are asked to pay 'extra' and get a fake PUC even when your vehicle is not polluting. The government is made up of two sets of people: one set who make the guidelines, and one set who are able to twist the guidelines for their own profit.
Old 30th November 2014, 15:37   #57
Senior - BHPian

The notification to show PUC at petrol pumps has been set aside for three months citing protests by the DPDA.
Old 9th December 2014, 23:25   #58
BHPian

The rule should be applied in all the major cities to ensure people follow the rules without fail and make the world a better , pollution free place to live.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks