Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2014, 17:02   #1
Team-BHP Support

Honda sells more than 1 lakh diesel cars in India

Honda Cars India has announced that it has sold more than 1 lakh cars powered by its i-DTEC diesel engine in India.

The 1498 cc, 4-cylinder unit produces 100 PS @ 3600 and 200 Nm @ 1750 rpm. It has been developed keeping in mind Indian driving conditions and is based on the company's Earth Dreams Technology. It has an all-aluminium cylinder head joined to an open deck engine block. Honda claims that it is the lightest engine among the engines with similar torque configuration and uses a lightweight crankshaft and a number of friction-reduction technologies to reduce friction and achieve greater cooling efficiency, which improves fuel efficiency.

Honda's first diesel car in India was the Amaze compact sedan, which was introduced in April 2013. The second model to use the diesel engine was the fourth-generation City sedan, which came in January this year. Last month, the company introduced its third diesel offering, the Mobilio MPV. Honda claims that as per service data the diesel variants of the three models have clocked over 90 crore kms cumulatively.

The addition of the diesel power plant has played a big part in the Honda City regaining the position of the leader the C2 segment in the Indian car market.
Aditya is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st August 2014, 17:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda sells more than 1 lakh diesel cars in India

Yes, but with deregulation of Diesel imminent is it no too late.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2014, 17:47   #3
BANNED

They are pretty late but good that they have arrived.

Hope they are not getting overconfident on the success that they have got from the Amaze and City. Mobilio isn't stellar I sales yet, will wait till next month figures.

Anurag.
Old 21st August 2014, 18:03   #4
Team-BHP Support

Consider the diesel prices already deregulated. We are just a rupee and some changes behind the deregulated price. Has that caused any reduction in the enthusiasm for diesel cars? Not much in my opinion. Even deregulated diesel is far cheaper than petrol On top of it, a diesel engine is generally 20% more efficient than its petrol counterpart of similar spec.

I don't think we are going to see the diesel market vanish so easily!
Zappo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st August 2014, 18:05   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Consider the diesel prices already deregulated. We are just a rupee and some changes behind the deregulated price.
I just filled up in both my cars, one petrol and one diesel, difference was more than 10 rupees here in bangalore and not in Shell. Diesel is some Rs.66.XX and Petrol was 76.XX.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2014, 18:39   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow. Just till 2 years ago Honda was all but looking lost in almost every segment it was competing in. What a comeback and that too in such a short span of time. Just goes to show the importance of understanding and respecting the dynamics of the local market that you operate in.

And I don't think that Honda will be much worried about the diesel deregulation. For one there is always going to be a price difference in the 2 fuels and coupled with a higher FE, there will always be demand for diesel. Second and more importantly even if the market sways back in favour of Petrol then Honda need not worry as petrol engines are its strong point and a known territory and they are damn good at it too.
drmohitg is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st August 2014, 18:56   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I just filled up in both my cars, one petrol and one diesel, difference was more than 10 rupees here in bangalore and not in Shell. Diesel is some Rs.66.XX and Petrol was 76.XX.
Woah, has diesel gone to 66.XX ? I filled this week earlier for somewhere near 63.XX at IOC in HSR.

Still people who can afford a single car, will prefer diesel cars for fuel efficiency in the longer term. Considering the upcoming small diesel cars in this reachable budget, this demand will go on in the near future.

Last edited by Adi22 : 21st August 2014 at 18:59.
Adi22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2014, 20:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

As long as diesel engines return more km per litre than petrol they would sell.I think Honda should also consider factory fitted CNG option and should not ignore the CNG cost factor.
Old 21st August 2014, 21:53   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi22 View Post
Woah, has diesel gone to 66.XX ?
Diesel is Rs 69.96 here in Navi Mumbai.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2014, 08:34   #10
Senior - BHPian

Honda has regained the market substantially with the diesel engine and a new launch Amaze which set the ball rolling for the diesel engine being plonked into the City and the now the Mobilio. Honda already had a best seller in City and now with the new diesel engine I guess it will sell more.

Inspite of selling a lakh car Honda has still not been able to address the NVH issues associated with the diesel engine powered cars. I had a ride with my colleague in his Amaze (recently bought) and it was sounding like the old gen Tata Indica. I could hear the engine squealing on a couple of occassions.

Sorry for going OT but Vidyut's post surprised me. Petrol in Bangalore is cheaper than in Mumbai, I thought Karnataka had the highest tax structure on fuels making it costliest. In Mumbai its 78+. Agree with El Lobo about high diesel price in Navi Mumbai, same is the price in Thane. Blame it on LBT. Lets limit the fuel price discussion tro the other thread please.
Old 22nd August 2014, 08:39   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi22 View Post
Woah, has diesel gone to 66.XX ? I filled this week earlier for somewhere near 63.XX at IOC in HSR.
Sorry, It was 63. 66 was a typo from my side. So there is difference of 13.xx rupees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Sorry for going OT but Vidyut's post surprised me. Petrol in Bangalore is cheaper than in Mumbai, I thought Karnataka had the highest tax structure on fuels making it costliest. In Mumbai its 78+. Agree with El Lobo about high diesel price in Navi Mumbai, same is the price in Thane. Blame it on LBT. Lets limit the fuel price discussion tro the other thread please.
Actually KA does seem to have done some adjustment. I found petrol prices more in Kolkata and Mumbai, which was quite surprising as I also was under the assumption that KA was the highest.
Old 22nd August 2014, 16:15   #12
D4D
BHPian

Well, honda were late, and they'll admit it too. But, power, efficiency come together and make the engine a very good package.

Put this into perspective: Maruti scrapped expansion of diesel engine production. So they'll just import some and manufacture the some in their Manesar plant. So, we have to realise that MSIL is moving back to Gasoline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I think petrol price was 63.xx. But 13 rupees is a very narrow difference for considering to buy a new diesel car(unless you use it a lot). There was a time when Diesel price was hovering around 4x.xx and petrol price was around 65.xx.

Buy a petrol car and save the difference(in price) for fuel.
->Lesser maintenance
->Better for the environment and others around you

Let's forget diesel cars now, unless you own an MUV/SUV(no, not a pseudo SUV like Ecosport)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks