Team-BHP - 2014 Skoda Yeti Facelift : A Close Look
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   2014 Skoda Yeti Facelift : A Close Look (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/155485-2014-skoda-yeti-facelift-close-look-4.html)

A very good and precise review.

As indicated by the reviewer Skoda seems to target only the niche group. It would have been better to a lower priced Yeti. Pricing of the Elegance with it's equipment level is in keeping with Skoda philosophy and we cant do much about it can we ?

SSangyong Rexton seems to have the pricing right for a vehicle it's size and with the equipment level but the brand value sadly seems to keep people away.

I have been waiting for the new Yeti as I have been wanting to change my Laura. It's a relief that Yeti stalls lesser, I found it always difficult to drive our Lauras (2008/2010) in the city.

Over all the Elegance trim seems to be a good package when one compares it with the severely under trimmed BMWs/Mercs/Audis which are sold at, at least 5-7 L (or more) with equipment/accessory levels much lesser than this SUV. Buyers would, of course, compare Yeti with Fortuner/ Captiva/ CRV/ Endeavour/Rexton and others which are bigger.

The positives would be good and reliable build quality, proven technology and a German lineage ( if you want to ignore the Czech background), compact size for city use and the car also looks good (in my opinion):thumbs up

The negatives would be after sales maintenance (but Skoda has stopped burying it's head in the sand, I think), cost of spares, size vs cost for those who want a bigger SUV

Awesome review. I was waiting for the 2014 version of yeti. Have convinced my wife and she too seems impressed with the feature list the yeti has to offer. Now the plan to trade my 2010 Ford Endeavour 4x4 with the New Yeti. Can't wait.

Any BHPians in the thread looking to buy the new yeti?

No idea about the prices now in Scandinavia.
Interestingly the VW guys have a big showroom right near the Audi showroom in Stockholm for example and right in the middle of the high rent retail district!
I spent time fiddling about with the Tiguan there and bought some scale models at the Audi showroom too.
Whats nice about those blokes is their welcoming and friendly attitude even though it could easily be seen that I was not a local and was definitely not a prospective buyer.
Another snippet though OT - Skoda was amongst other things, a big, well known and respected Armaments and Tank manufacturer in the war years. While we may be more familiar with Skoda as a manufacturer of cheaper runabouts for the communist dominated post war East Bloc public, in the interests of historical accuracy, they were a manufacturer of landaus and other more luxurious offerings for the erstwhile pre war Eastern European aristocracy. Irrespective of them falling into an Eastern Bloc scenario post war, I think their basic tenets of good production values and quality never really changed, they merely morphed into "serving the market" as dictated by their communist masters and obviously were constrained by the "socio economic" requirements of austere design/ trim and use of available non luxe materials for that period. In the post 1990's heady days of neo-capitalism in the East Bloc of course, they got grabbed by VW and I think their cars are easily equivalent to the good cars VW makes, just like SEAT of Spain!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaggu (Post 3539134)
How much do they sell for? With manufacturing facilities in Europe they can definitely price it much cheaper there is what i feel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NKR (Post 3539204)
The negatives would be after sales maintenance (but Skoda has stopped burying it's head in the sand, I think), cost of spares, size vs cost for those who want a bigger SUV

We had an interesting chat with Skoda officials and they mentioned service is being looked at very seriously these days. Closely watching repeat repair cases, and they have brought down car down time by 30-50%. Customer satisfaction is being taken very seriously by putting in internal measures and efforts are focused to change the perception.

Excellent Car- Skoda Yeti.
Will love to have this for my city drive but for the price. Even my wife liked it last time we took its TD.
Would love to have a corporate edition for some 2 Lakh cheaper coupled with another lakh in discount after initial hype.
At 15 Lakhs Ex-showroom it would have been a good deal.

Very helpful review.
Was looking for a new car to upgrade from the Fusion. Almost booked the Octavia but the sales person suggested I wait for the Yeti seeing the Fusion. This car surprisingly ticks all the right boxes in my list. Did consider the Audi Q3 and the 1 Series but the spec levels of the base models are pathetic. Currently waiting for the test drive cars to arrive in town and take a call on the colour.

About the review: Great review! Thanks. :thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by shubhodeepdas@g (Post 3539691)
Was looking for a new car to upgrade from the Fusion. Almost booked the Octavia but the sales person suggested I wait for the Yeti seeing the Fusion. This car surprisingly ticks all the right boxes in my list. Did consider the Audi Q3 and the 1 Series but the spec levels of the base models are pathetic. Currently waiting for the test drive cars to arrive in town and take a call on the colour.

The sales person did suggest the right thing for an upgrade from Fusion. You would enjoy it without missing the positives of your Ford Fusion with this upgrade for sure.

[quote=Jaggu;3539523]

It's good to hear that Skoda is taking it's A.S.S seriously. The A.S.S providers are literally taking us for a ride.

I do remember mailing Skoda a number of times, but the inputs fell on deaf ears. I even had a case where my Laura stalled and stopped at 10 pm in the City. It was a Herculean effort even to get a response from the Central Road side assistance. On the positive side as soon as I could locate the local A.S.S number they responded promptly and jump started the car. It was a battery issue.( Yes surprisingly the battery worked fine all along and suddenly stopped ).

The company has even started giving out the price of Service and certain spares on their web site which is quite comforting.

Amazing coincidence in terms of your thoughts and mine!
I wanted so badly to buy the Fusion in 2008 when they had introduced the variant with ABS and the TDCi engine.
It cost 8.1 lacs for the top end version at the time.
I did not buy because I got my Scorpio Base version at a few grand cheaper and my need at that time was lots of space and I wanted a natural upgrade from my Bolero. After buying the Scorpio I still felt a twinge each time I saw a Fusion Plus with ABS and TDCi engine go past.
When the Yeti was launched I knew in my heart that it was absolutely right for a family of our size and for a need state like ours, but even I was stunned by the pricing. I never wanted to spend that kind of money on a vehicle in India.
But then, after driving the Subaru Forester abroad, I just HAD to have the refinement and comfort and functionality that the Yeti offered, so I saved like hell and bought the little snowman!

Indeed, I will endorse what your sales man said and agree completely that the Yeti is the natural upgrade from the Fusion.

If I may presume to make a suggestion on the colour, there is nothing quite like the Brilliant Silver, because it looks understated, elegant, classy and yet, is so very easy to maintain here in India - Silver does not show dirt or scratches the way the other colours do!

Quote:

Originally Posted by shubhodeepdas@g (Post 3539691)
Very helpful review.

Quote:

Did consider the Audi Q3 and the 1 Series but the spec levels of the base models are pathetic
Ex-Showroom of reasonably loaded - sports line - 1 series is less than 24 lac in NCR Delhi

Quote:

Originally Posted by acetrump (Post 3539289)
Any BHPians in the thread looking to buy the new yeti?

I am. For me the only deterrent is the A.S.S. horror stories. So I may just wait a few months before booking the new Yeti!

Regards,
Anoop

Yeti is a wonderful car and one the the most underrated ones. I was looking for a used Yeti in the price bracket of 12L when my Ecosport delivery was getting delayed. But i managed to get Ecosport before I could find a used Yeti. Some things which I like in the Yeti:
1.The design scream " I am different". Is a style statement.
2.Solid build, long list of features.
3.Rare species.

The major thing that is against Yeti is its price Tag. The moment people see its price tag its like "Too small for the price, not worth it".

It is one of the perfect cars sent by God(Price apart) for the urban family.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrideRed (Post 3540505)
Yeti is a wonderful car and one the the most underrated ones. I was looking for a used Yeti in the price bracket of 12L when my Ecosport delivery was getting delayed. But i managed to get Ecosport before I could find a used Yeti. Some things which I like in the Yeti:
1.The design scream " I am different". Is a style statement.
2.Solid build, long list of features.
3.Rare species.

The major thing that is against Yeti is its price Tag. The moment people see its price tag its like "Too small for the price, not worth it".

It is one of the perfect cars sent by God(Price apart) for the urban family.

I disagree slightly. Skoda Yeti has cramped rear leg room, is odd looking and is missing a few goodies. For a minute lets keep price & service apart, I would hesitate to buy a Yeti because of the aforesaid reasons.

However I maybe tempted to buy the Merc A Class over A3 or X1 even though it has less space. Caz A its a Looker and B they haven't skimped on features. The cabin is truly like a baby Merc should be.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aseem (Post 3540526)
I disagree slightly. Skoda Yeti has cramped rear leg room, is odd looking and is missing a few goodies. For a minute lets keep price & service apart, I would hesitate to buy a Yeti because of the aforesaid reasons.

However I maybe tempted to buy the Merc A Class over A3 or X1 even though it has less space. Caz A its a Looker and B they haven't skimped on features. The cabin is truly like a baby Merc should be.

Well looks are subjective and is debatable. Rear leg room, I agree to certain extent but I felt its not that bad either. But when it comes to an Urban family which is usually 2 adults+ 2 Kids, Yeti is jut perfect.
1.It rides well and comfy when compared to bumpy SUV ride.
2.Can carry decent amount of luggage.
3.Can do a bit of real off-road and handle bad patches with ease which many of sedans fail.
4.Is quite enthusiastic to drive despite being a cross over.
5.Is of the right size to be driven in city, not too bulky.

If any one is looking for Old Model Yeti from Show room, there is a Mato Brown 4x2 model available with the Skoda dealer at Baroda and a Black 4x2 model available with the Skoda dealer at Surat.