Team-BHP - Scoop! Hyundai testing i20 Cross
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Scoop! Hyundai testing i20 Cross (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/156763-scoop-hyundai-testing-i20-cross-3.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by swiftnfurious (Post 3564056)
In all probability, NO! The ORVMs do NOT match! But it' the same as the Elite i20. Now, what differentiation will the HB20X has over Elite i20?

What I meant was that Hyundai could do to Elite I20 what they did to HB20 i.e, launch an I20X version. I know launching a new platform for just a ‘cross variant’ won’t make any sense. However Hyundai would like to milk the same platform ( I20) as much as possible, even If this cross version gives them an incremental same of 800-900 units per months there is no harm :).

In my opinion Hyundai should increase the ground clearance to at least 190 mm which will enable them to compete with the Aventura which is the best cross hatch in the market now. In fact the Aventura offers a massive 205 mm of ground clearance more than the 200 mm offered by the Ecosport. However to keep things balanced Hyundai should try to provide at least 190 mm of ground clearance. The additions like projectors on headlamps and other things will enable Hyundai to justify higher price.

Hyundai should seriously consider providing automatic diesel hatchbacks if not a proper automatic at least AMT. That's one thing they are lacking in at present in the hatchback segment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadAbtCars (Post 3564014)
+1 to your comments. I find the cross variants absolutely offering no added benefit from the regular models except for some cosmetic changes.
As pointed out by GTO I also strongly feel Hyundai should bring the Compact SUV soon. Its high time we see a competent product to challenge the Ecosport.

Avventura has already challenged your thoughts. There are people who give value to what a cross can actually offer. And you are referring to Ecosport as a compact SUV - which may not be right. Ecosport is indeed a crossover which looks SUVish. These are all indeed in the same segment (except Polo/Liva cross hatches) - it is just that the Indian consumers fail to understand the similarity/difference between the cars. Whether Hyundai can offer something above Avventura or in par with Ecosport should be the question here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by patil (Post 3564845)
In my opinion Hyundai should increase the ground clearance to at least 190 mm which will enable them to compete with the Aventura which is the best cross hatch in the market now.

Totally agree with you, however, looking at the spy pics its difficult to tell if GC has been actually increased. I think Hyundai will keep 170 mm & load the car with additional features (hence so much of camouflage).

Heres one rendering of I20X by Cartoq. I feel this can finish SX4 Cross-s game even before it gets started. Hope Maruti is watching this space.

The "Cross" variant of the new Elite i20 has been caught testing with both projector headlamps and LED DRLs, clap: as on the the Euro version:

Scoop! Hyundai testing i20 Cross-image.jpg

Apart from this and the roof rails & black body/bumper cladding, it looks like the only other changes are a different front bumper and circular(?) front fog lamps. While the car "looks" a bit taller, it may just be because of the visual effect of those big roof rails, and not due to a GC increase. If they're serious about marketing it as a wannabe crossover, then they should at least increase the GC to 185 ~ 195 mm (from the current 170 mm), and provide higher profile tyres on those 16" wheels (compared to the current 195/55R16s). The missing rear fog lamp on the Elite i20 needs to be included as well.

It would be great if they offer the European version's 6 airbags and ESP, at least as an option!

Picture courtesy: Cardekho via Indianautosblog

Thanks for sharing. Even if you ignore the roofrails, the vehicle does appear to have a raised stance and a more aggressive face too. So you never know Hyundai could just spring a surprise here. This is going to be a lot cheaper than Sx4 cross and could be a good alternative to ecosport and Duster.

The Hyundai Elite i20-based crossover has been spotted with projector headlamps and daytime running lights.

Link to Team-BHP News Article

I hope this is not just some cosmetic change without GC increase. If GC is set either to 200 or 205mm, it will be a really good contender for Duster, ecosport. Till date, Fiat avventura can only be called a pure crossover.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSR (Post 3566307)
The "Cross" variant of the new Elite i20 has been caught testing with both projector headlamps and LED DRLs, clap: as on the the Euro version:

Apart from this and the roof rails & black body/bumper cladding, it looks like the only other changes are a different front bumper and circular(?) front fog lamps. While the car "looks" a bit taller, it may just be because of the visual effect of those big roof rails, and not due to a GC increase. If they're serious about marketing it as a wannabe crossover, then they should at least increase the GC to 185 ~ 195 mm (from the current 170 mm), and provide higher profile tyres on those 16" wheels (compared to the current 195/55R16s). The missing rear fog lamp on the Elite i20 needs to be included as well.

It would be great if they offer the European version's 6 airbags and ESP, at least as an option!

I sincerely hope those headlamps can be retrofitted on the Elite i20. Am not that happy with the current headlamps.

Also the Elite's current GC is more than enough for all practical purposes. Increase in the profile of the tyres would take away that sporty look, no?

Quote:

Originally Posted by rahul412 (Post 3566400)
Thanks for sharing. Even if you ignore the roofrails, the vehicle does appear to have a raised stance and a more aggressive face too. So you never know Hyundai could just spring a surprise here.

You're welcome. I hope they do spring a surprise by providing more GC.

Quote:

This is going to be a lot cheaper than Sx4 cross and could be a good alternative to ecosport and Duster.
I don't know about S-Cross and Duster as they are 4m+ vehicles and even have an AWD option. I think Hyundai's upcoming ix25 would be positioned to take on these two.

Only the EcoSport is a sub-4m vehicle but again it is more than a raised Fiesta hatchback, as it has a different body. This car, on the other hand, is only a raised/cladded version of Hyundai's existing hatchback - much like the Polo Cross, Liva Cross and Avventura.

If they do raise the suspension and provide higher profile tyres, then it can make a small difference (like the Avventura). If they don't, then it would only be a cosmetic exercise (like the Polo Cross and Liva Cross).

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinjosep (Post 3567020)
I sincerely hope those headlamps can be retrofitted on the Elite i20. Am not that happy with the current headlamps.

I guess the Elite i20's headlamps were designed only for India. Hyundai should have at least provided double barrel headlamps, as their illumination is generally much better than single barrel headlamps.

I see no reason why these projectors cannot be retrofitted on the Elite i20. If the Verna's projectors are any indication, they may turn out to be expensive though.

Quote:

Also the Elite's current GC is more than enough for all practical purposes. Increase in the profile of the tyres would take away that sporty look, no?
Yes, the i20's current GC of 170 mm is good enough for our roads, and yet doesn't compromise on those Euro-hatch (i.e. long, wide and sleek) looks.

However, if they are going to position this as a wannabe crossover, then increasing the GC and providing high profile tyres is the best way forward. Otherwise it may turn out to be a mere cosmetic exercise like the Polo Cross (which doesn't sell in great numbers).

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSR (Post 3567138)
I see no reason why these projectors cannot be retrofitted on the Elite i20. If the Verna's projectors are any indication, they may turn out to be expensive though.

However, if they are going to position this as a wannabe crossover, then increasing the GC and providing high profile tyres is the best way forward. Otherwise it may turn out to be a mere cosmetic exercise like the Polo Cross (which doesn't sell in great numbers).

OT: Whats the cost quoted for Verna projector headlamps?

Again this version could be the Elite Asta (O) and not a cross after all. Do remember that slot is open from the previous line-up. People will then definitely gobble this up. At least I would have, if this was given as an option earlier.:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinjosep (Post 3567199)
Whats the cost quoted for Verna projector headlamps?

I don't know exactly, but on the Verna thread, members mentioned that dealers are quoting a cost of around 70k or 80k for the OEM projectors. :eek:

Saw two test mules yesterday on Vellore - Chennai route.
Impressions -
-Really liked the headlights. The vehicles came flashing the lights behind me. It was bright but pointed at same time.
- I have not travelled in new i20, but compared to old i20 felt suspension was very hard. Did not see the usual wobbly effect associated with Hyundais when test vehicles went over bad road.
- There was a bluelit display on dash. However not sure if it was any test equipment or infotainment system.
Scoop! Hyundai testing i20 Cross-img_20141121_225625313.jpg
Scoop! Hyundai testing i20 Cross-img_20141121_224535725.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinjosep (Post 3567199)
OT: Whats the cost quoted for Verna projector headlamps?

A cool Rs.90,000 for the pair.
The price difference for the variant without them is around 1.2 lakhs.