Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2014, 20:38   #1
BHPian

Mahindra XUV500 Petrol in the pipeline

Mod Note: Our XUV500 Petrol AT Report has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Quote:
According to Motoring World, the new petrol engine will be heavily based on the existing 2.2 liter mHawk diesel unit. In construction, the bottom half block will be shared, with the addition of a new head and other ancillaries making it ready for some gasoline induced combustion. Power will supposedly be rated at an identical 140 bhp, as the mHawk motor, but torque figures haven’t yet been disclosed.

Source: http://www.motoringworld.net/cars/ne...0-petrol-works

Last edited by GTO : 28th March 2018 at 14:44. Reason: Linking to review
Doge is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2014, 21:14   #2
BANNED

Re: Mahindra XUV500 Petrol in the pipeline

Is this necessary? I feel not. Diesel is doing great, just stick to that.
kisharchit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2014, 21:49   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisharchit View Post
Is this necessary? I feel not. Diesel is doing great, just stick to that.
There is a huge market outside diesel crazy India, for them developing the new petrol engine makes sense.
But the same block?
I thought Mahindra was working closely with Ssangyong in developing new petrol engine family.
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2014, 22:16   #4
BANNED

Aha, right. This should be for the export market. But as I said, I won't be surprised if it doesn't work in India.
Old 1st November 2014, 22:45   #5
Senior - BHPian

A petrol engine in the domestic market isn't worthwhile for the XUV 500. Even the majority of premium car buyers veer away from petrol engines and a 2.2-litre petrol won't be a cost effective option.

Mahindra is working with Ssangyong for a new range of petrol engines displacing between 1200-1600cc. http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ks-385462.aspx

The S101 will be the first model to feature an engine from the range, but it doesn't make sense to offer the option on larger models at least in India.
Old 2nd November 2014, 00:07   #6
BHPian

If the petrol variant is priced sensibly, which M&M just might, it will prove to be a good contender against the Duster & Terrano petrol variants considering the XUV W4 diesel costs around Rs.10.91 lacs (ex), which is almost in the OTR range of the top variant Dusters(P)and is cheaper than the Terrano XL(P) which costs over 11.5 OTR. I'm sure the petrol variants will be slightly cheaper than the diesel and given the kind of equipment level and reputation the XUV has, the demographic fond of the compact SUV petrol cars will surely consider it. People might give it preference over the upcoming compact SUVs from Hyundai, Honda, etc.

It may not be a runaway hit like the Duster but it will sell decently when the VFM factor is taken into account.

Last edited by tjacob : 2nd November 2014 at 00:10.
tjacob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2014, 08:48   #7
BHPian

I doubt whether a petrol XUV would sell in India.

Even if it was priced very well, Mahindra is known for its capable diesel engines, not for petrols.

And with a vehicle that big, the petrol engine would have to have some serious oomph under the bonnet if it needs to be taken seriously, and that would lead to dismal FE figures.

Make it for the export markets Mahindra, but don't launch it here.
Speed.Demon is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2014, 11:05   #8
BANNED

Mod Note : There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 6th November 2014 at 16:47.
dracul is offline   Received Infraction
Old 2nd November 2014, 12:22   #9
BHPian

There is a petrol success story in the 18 plus lakh segment. The skoda superb. Simply because it was noticeably cheaper than the diesel yet better than the diesel in every way except for the mileage. If somebody is not doing a lot of miles in their car and wishes to keep it for long time, then such a petrol car makes a lot of sense. Mahindra can make a decent success of the petrol XUV if its new engine is like the TSI of the superb. Although its highly unlikely though.
Old 3rd November 2014, 17:19   #10
Senior - BHPian

Not sure about the rational for this move. First the SUV is meant to be a mile cruncher, although the petrol prices have dropped, still does not make sense to me unless you are running low.

Second, the XUV needs to shed some crazy weight to be fuel efficient unless they release some high tech engine. Third is reliability, not sure if Mahindra has any petrol in their lineup. I have only heard of the borrowed Renault engine which featured in the Scorpio long time ago.

Unable to understand which popular segment they want to compete in unless they intend to create one. Isn't the petrol Duster and Ecosport sales negligible for Mahindra to consider?

What I love to see is an refreshed automatic XUV with the current niggles removed.
Old 3rd November 2014, 18:41   #11
Team-BHP Support

I actually think an AWD Petrol XUV could fill the gap left by the Suzuki Grand Vitara pretty well. I know it's a niche market, but would be an option nice to have, esp. for people who don't have enough running to justify a diesel or just don't want one.

It would need to be reliable and niggle-free though, which might be the Achilles heel for Mahindra. Something below a 15-lakh on-road price point would be lovely (one can hope)
Old 4th November 2014, 13:56   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjacob View Post
If the petrol variant is priced sensibly, which M&M just might, it will prove to be a good contender against the Duster & Terrano petrol variants considering the XUV W4 diesel costs around Rs.10.91 lacs (ex),

It may not be a runaway hit like the Duster but it will sell decently when the VFM factor is taken into account.
As a buyer on look out, I cannot agree more. XUV in petrol at around the same cost of top end Vento or City will really make me go drooling.

Not everyone looks at cost of diesel when going for a vehicle. Else, there was no reason for other makers to have a petrol horse in their stable.
Old 6th November 2014, 16:55   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
the new petrol engine will be heavily based on the existing 2.2 liter mHawk diesel unit.
This is the part that worries me. For one, Mahindra has no petrol engine experience. Two, using the same block points to a half-hearted effort (vis a vis developing an all-new motor). Three, whichever petrols I've driven that were based on diesel blocks were rather unimpressive.

The gap between petrol & diesel might be narrowing, yet in SUVs, the difference in fuel economy can be as much as 100%. Oil-burners will always be the preferred choice for large vehicles.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th November 2014, 17:33   #14
BHPian

Unless the petrol variant comes at a significantly lower price, I am not sure this will fly.
Old 9th November 2014, 22:02   #15
BHPian

Like the article says,I don't think this is meant to sell well in India. But going by the current scenario,I don't think it can match the international standards,I mean converting an oil burner into a gasoline motor worries me.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks